PDA

View Full Version : Not sure that I trust recruiter

the68
09-02-11, 01:58 PM
I recently talked to a local recruiter. Upon showing him my medical papers and finding a potential disqualifier (a strictly suspect condition that my doctor says I have a good chance of getting expunged from my records completely with an x-ray) he suggested that I "not mention" the condition to MEPS and said that the whole thing about lying on your enlistment papers was nothing but a big scare tactic. Having already read on this and other boards about the implications of lying to MEPS, I declined and said I wanted to take the high road, even if it meant not being permitted to enlist (God forbid, though I'm prepared for the possibility).

I'm making preparations with my doctor to get the x-ray, so the medical waiver may end up being a non-issue in the end anyway. But obviously this recruiter isn't worried about me getting in trouble; or he genuinely believes his "scare tactic" story.

What I'm wondering is whether I should be worried about enlisting through this recruiter if he's dishonest and if I should go to another location. If I have no other option than to enlist through this recruiter, is there anything he can do behind my back in regards to the recruitment process that could get me in trouble? What should I keep an eye out for?

I only know of two recruiting stations in my area and when I called the number to the other one I got the same recruiter on the line (facepalm). He claimed that the other recruiter was no longer in the Marines or something like that. Is there a place I can go to find where there are other recruiting stations? I've been searching the internet but can't find anything other than the Marines web page which doesn't help much.

Well, I've got to return to cutting firewood. Thanks for your time, hopefully someone will be able to help me out.

SSgt Lamie
09-02-11, 03:39 PM
PM me with your issue and what your concerns are. Since I have worked as a Recruiter the past 3 years I will be able to give you the straight forward and let you know what I feel this Recruiter may be doing.

the68
09-03-11, 09:05 AM
I appreciate your replies, Marines. Dave, I certainly understand where you're coming from. My family runs a couple of small family businesses and we have to deal with the fanaticism and nonsense of the local and federal gov't quite often. After reading your posts and understanding the situation from a common sense perspective, I wonder whether I should have the x-ray done since it currently shows up on my records as only a suspect condition. The doctor seems very confident that it'll show up as nonexistent, but I'm not sure if there is any risk that it'll show up positive even though it's asymptomatic.

I guess what I'll do is ask the doc whether the condition can even be confirmed 100 percent positive by x-ray. If they can only suspect or negate the condition by x-ray and a positive can only be achieved by an MRI or something along those lines, there would be no risk at all in trying to have it negated.

I've been kept pretty busy lately, but as soon as I can get time to contact the doctor again I'll post up. Thanks again for your replies.

advanced
09-03-11, 10:02 AM
My recruiter never lied to me. He told me that if I was lucky that I'd get to

1. travel to far off exotic places,

2. meet new people and

3. gain new skills that no other vocation could give me.

So how did it turn out?

1. I went to the Nam

2. I got to meet ROC Marines, Aussies, Real Marines and Gooks

3. As far as new skills I became very adept at killing people

I must admit that my experience was a "little" different than I imagined it would be, but my Recruiter told the truth.

the68
09-06-11, 11:12 PM
Hi Marines,

We've been getting a lot of rain here lately so I've had some time on my hands. I called my doctor early this morning and he had a chance to call me back late this afternoon. He assured me that the condition cannot be confirmed 100 percent positive by x-ray, only suspected. In other words, the worst that could happen by having another x-ray done would be an unchanged diagnosis of "suspect".

He sent papers to the x-ray technicians today on my request, I'm calling them tomorrow to have an appointment set up.

Thanks again for your posts Dave2571, they are sensible and encouraging.

Ssgt. Lamie, thank you for offering your advice. I sent you a PM.

advanced; thank you for the smack of reality.

I will keep you all updated.

Lisa 23
09-07-11, 07:32 AM
You haven't mentioned this yet and just out of curiosity....what are these x-rays for for this "suspect condition"?

the68
10-07-11, 06:56 PM
Hey Marines, sorry I didn't post back sooner.

SoftballCatch23; when I was 12 I started playing paintball rather heavily. It was the first time I'd participated in a highly active, strenuous team sport because other sports never really interested me. As you can imagine, after jumping through brush, sliding, diving, sprinting and rushing into and out of bunkers and staying low crouched for long periods of time, I started getting leg cramps. Some of them were rather bad and we went to the doctor for advice on how to prevent them. He advised that I get an x-ray of my lower back to rule out sciatica or anything else that could be causing me pain. The x-rays didn't show anything, but the doc decided that my spinal column could suggest a mild spondylosis of some sort, but my spine was otherwise strong and healthy. They ruled out the suspect condition as having nothing to do with my leg pain, said they were cramps from all the sudden unusual activity and recommended ice packs, regular stretching and some physical therapy if I wanted it. I declined the physical therapy and asked for a referral to a chiropractor instead. The chiropractor helped by showing me some stretches and giving me adjustments to keep my body structure in line and more supple/flexible (more of an optional preventative measure than anything). I haven't had leg cramps since. But the suspect diagnosis remained on my medical records as a result.

But here's the update; I had new x-rays taken on Friday, and the doctor called me today with the results. He said the new x-rays show absolutely no evidence of the spinal irregularity that earlier x-rays may have suggested and that my medical records are in the clear. :thumbup:

Thanks so much for your help and encouragement Marines. Now that this issue is out of the way all I have to do is finish off these ASVAB study guides I'm leaning on and I can start the enlistment process. I'll keep you all posted as I am sure to have other questions or concerns in the future.

embark09
10-10-11, 08:00 AM
recruiters are NOT liars most of the time when marines say "my recruiter ****ed me" its because there lazy asses didnt take time to research what they where dedicating 4 years of there lives to. like me , joining the marine corps was the best thing i ever did , but my mos/unit is the least mission essential **** billet ever i signed a B6 ground option and got Embarkation in the 2nd MAW headquarters squadron

afraziaaaa
10-11-11, 08:56 AM
Hey Marines, sorry I didn't post back sooner.

SoftballCatch23; when I was 12 I started playing paintball rather heavily. It was the first time I'd participated in a highly active, strenuous team sport because other sports never really interested me. As you can imagine, after jumping through brush, sliding, diving, sprinting and rushing into and out of bunkers and staying low crouched for long periods of time, I started getting leg cramps. Some of them were rather bad and we went to the doctor for advice on how to prevent them. He advised that I get an x-ray of my lower back to rule out sciatica or anything else that could be causing me pain. The x-rays didn't show anything, but the doc decided that my spinal column could suggest a mild spondylosis of some sort, but my spine was otherwise strong and healthy. They ruled out the suspect condition as having nothing to do with my leg pain, said they were cramps from all the sudden unusual activity and recommended ice packs, regular stretching and some physical therapy if I wanted it. I declined the physical therapy and asked for a referral to a chiropractor instead. The chiropractor helped by showing me some stretches and giving me adjustments to keep my body structure in line and more supple/flexible (more of an optional preventative measure than anything). I haven't had leg cramps since. But the suspect diagnosis remained on my medical records as a result.

But here's the update; I had new x-rays taken on Friday, and the doctor called me today with the results. He said the new x-rays show absolutely no evidence of the spinal irregularity that earlier x-rays may have suggested and that my medical records are in the clear. :thumbup:

Thanks so much for your help and encouragement Marines. Now that this issue is out of the way all I have to do is finish off these ASVAB study guides I'm leaning on and I can start the enlistment process. I'll keep you all posted as I am sure to have other questions or concerns in the future.

Nobody can look into your medical records except for you, your doctor or anyone you give written permission to. Look up the HIIPA law. Doctor/patient confidentiality essentially. Enlisting does not constitute written permission for anyone to look into your records. Trust your recruiter. He or she has been in the Marine Corps for years and is there to help you. We have no problem meeting quotas. Why would any Marine jeopardize his or her entire career just to enlist YOU when there are plenty of other individuals trying to get in the Marine Corps right now?