PDA

View Full Version : Would I be likely chosen?

DS12
09-01-11, 09:58 PM
Hello, Marines. First of all I would like to thank you for your service and I hope one day I can join you all and be one of the few and proud Marines.

A little info about me that you may need to know:

I am currently 16 years old and will be 17 in December. I would love to be able to sign a contract while 17 but I plan on enlisting into the buddy system with a fellow friend of mine who just turned 16 today so I'm willing to wait a year so we could experience becoming a Marine together. Also my mom wants me to explore other options such as the Air Force :sick: but is 100% supportive on me going to the military and would be disappointed if I didn't go.

I attend a military school under the Army JROTC. I am currently a c/SSG and the Supply SGT (S-4/Logistics) soon to be Supply Officer once the school inspection comes through. I have met my local recruiter at the school since he occasionally comes by and I joined a discussion with my fellow cadets with him a year ago. Well since I'm spilling my guts I might as well get a bit more personal. I'm on the color guard, armed drill team, and Raiders team (We do rope bridges, PT tests, mile run, orienteering, 3 mile platoon run, etc.)

I used to be a fat body but over the years of going there I have developed my fat into muscle so I'm pretty big but muscular. I'm about to get a deep more personal, I smoke marijuana and I know how the military is a zero tolerance zone for drugs so I'm committed to stop after this year and I guess have to do the more harmful alternative alcohol once I'm in.

But that's me. Was wondering if me attending a military school, being s-4, on many teams, etc. would put me in a good position and have a higher chance to join since I know the Marines are downsizing. Also I would love to have the job field 03xx.

Thanks, Marines.

thewookie
09-01-11, 10:14 PM
Definitely.

Swampfox
09-01-11, 10:39 PM
The most important thing you need to do if you party is BE CAREFUL. I don't judge because I was in your shoes when I was your age. You still have some time so enjoy yourself and be a kid while you can before you sign into any military branch. If you do sign, don't mess around with weed and be careful with alcohol since the effects can be much more debilitating than weed. I would suggest that if you do sign that you focus on your PFT and leave the other stuff behind. That way if you do make your way to Recruit Training you’ll be one step ahead and your life will be that much easier. One thing’s for certain, if you pop on a p!ss test in DEP or when you’re actually in, it’s over. Good luck to you and thank you for thinking about serving our great country young man.

Tennessee Top
09-01-11, 11:44 PM
You should go to a liberal college, party, smoke dope, and eventually move up to hard drugs. Why mess up a good thing?

Swampfox
09-02-11, 08:29 AM
You should go to a liberal college, party, smoke dope, and eventually move up to hard drugs. Why mess up a good thing?

Why would you say that to a 16 year old Top?

Old Marine
09-02-11, 09:06 AM
In answer to the original question:

You will be no better than the poolee who comes in to the office right off the street. If and when you hit the footprints you and the worm next to you will become whale s!!t
together. Drill instructors will break all the bad habits you have learned in ROTC and instruct you on the Marine Corps way. I suggest you lose the drugs immediately.

DS12
09-02-11, 09:34 AM

Top, hard drugs aren't on my agenda. I have actually considered that a long time ago just so I could smoke but I realized that becoming a Marine is my dream and my goal so I'm willing to put weed to the side and move on.

@OldMarine: Thanks, I could see myself being yelled at for doing drill the Army way.

Tennessee Top
09-02-11, 11:08 AM
A 16 year-old today knows what's right and wrong. In fact, the OP sounds much older than a 16 year-old. He admits a fondness for the wacky weed as well as the military. I suggest he'll be happier in school where he can continue to indulge without any real consequences (unlike the USMC).

MOS4429
09-02-11, 11:33 AM
If you do sign, don't mess around with weed and be careful with alcohol since the effects can be much more debilitating than weed. I would suggest that if you do sign that you focus on your PFT and leave the other stuff behind. That way if you do make your way to Recruit Training you’ll be one step ahead and your life will be that much easier. One thing’s for certain, if you pop on a p!ss test in DEP or when you’re actually in, it’s over. Good luck to you and thank you for thinking about serving our great country young man.

Good advice.

The military has a no tolerance policy - PERIOD. Sometimes kids think they can gamble a bit with their drug use and beat the P test. Marijuana stays in your system at least 30 days. I have known guys like you who plan to quit when the time comes. Then the time comes, they quit, but it's hard, and they occasionally do it, and POP. You think think about, also, prior to signing, if you get busted. It's pretty easy to get busted. Pulled over by a cop, smells weed on you, searches and finds a joint. That would mess your plans up. I think as mentioned above, enjoy being a kid and consider redirecting your past time away from marijuana and into PT. Alcohol is sort of like a slow creeping monster. By the time it's got you, well...it's too late. I used to drink heavily and wondered if I would recognize it if it became a problem, thought about those where alcohol became a problem, and decided by the time you figure it out, you are in up to your neck. I decided to not drink for a week, then decided to not do so for 2, then 4, then 8, and never drank again. I was 22 and it wasn't for reglious purposes or anything like that. So...each person is different and has to decide for themselves, but some things to think about.

Your present schooling and training might help you get in and it might help you gain the MOS you want. Only a recruiter can give you the correct answer on this.

And correct, when you arrive on the footprints and your head is shaved, all things are equal at that point.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-02-11, 05:12 PM
1: Swamp, go back and READ the site rules regarding your last post. Next time, you'll take a time out from this area.

2: No profile, no further answers. READ THE SITE RULES. Deleted until one appears.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-02-11, 06:56 PM
Profile completed....thread undeleted.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-03-11, 01:52 AM
To answer the question as asked....I think you stand a decent chance. But if you've been researching and reading, you know the Corps is downsizing, as are all the services.

Still, you are improving your chances, so keep up the good work.