PDA

View Full Version : Marine Officer Programs

Pages : [1] 2

jdfairman
10-28-03, 05:46 PM
Hello All.
My name is Lieutenant Fairman, and I invite any of you who are interested in becoming a Marine Officer to post your question. I will do my best to answer it myself, and should I not have the knowledge, I will do my best to find out and get back with you.
I enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserves in '98 and worked as an FDC man for HQ Btry, 14th Marines throughout college. I was commissioned a second lieutenant through the PLC program on 01AUG02. I am currently in flight training pursuing those coveted wings of gold. I'm not trying to blow my own horn here, just wanted to give an idea of my background. SO... any questions concerning officer programs, fire away.

HepCat
10-29-03, 03:47 AM
What are the requirements, exactly for becoming an officer? Is it a certain degree? Some kind of officer training? A combo of the two? Just all the details you can spare, really would be cool. Thanks in advance.

Echo_Four_Bravo
10-29-03, 11:16 AM
Lt. Fairman,
I want to thank you for coming to this site to help the young wannabes out. There are scores of well educated enlisted men and women here, ready to do all we can for those wanting to enlist in the Marine Corps. But, there seems to be a lack of officers on the site. I for one am greatful. At one point, I was considering persuing a commission in the Marine Corps, and would have been most thankful to have someone like you to assist.

Super Dave
10-29-03, 12:01 PM
Semper Fi Lt.

Welcome aboard..

What are you going to be driving?

kentmitchell
10-29-03, 05:55 PM
Wondered what that hashmark was doing alongside the brown bar. Not quite a mustang but closer than most.
My hat's off to anyone who completes TBS. Best officers in the world come from there and I served under a few of them. Really looked up to them even when I was a salty E-4 with my own hashmark.

jdfairman
10-29-03, 09:08 PM
Well... I'm just now putting the finishing touches on API (aviation preflight indoctrination), the first phase of flight training. From here I;ll be going to Corpus Christi, TX for Primary, and it is there that the aircraft I'll be flying in the fleet will be determined.
As far as Hepcat's question goes, there are a myriad of ways to obtain a commission. The basic requirements are citizenship, a bachelor's degree and elgibility for a Secret clearance. Commissions may be obtained through PLC, OCC, one of the academies, NROTC, or MECEP. There are also a few senior SNCO's that are commissioned as Limited Duty Officers.
OCC (the Officer Candidates Course) is one of the more popular routes taken. If you already have a bachelor's degree, this is the way to go. College graduates will be sent to Officer Candidates School in Quantico, VA for a ten week course. Think of OCS as a ten-week, extremely intense job interview. You are graded on leadership, academics and physical fitness. (mostly on leadership). The method is that you will be put in various leadership billets that are about two weeks in duration throughout the course. (Candidate Platoon Commander, Candidate Company First Sergeant, Candidate Company Gunny, Candidate Platoon Sgt, etc.). Academics consists of alot of what is taught at boot camp (basic first aid, history) plus leadership, a little warfighting, basic tactics etc. Physical Fitness is extremely intense. Expect to run about five miles about six times a week plus upper body development, combat and endurance courses, circuit courses and more. Upon graduation, the OCS candidate is commissioned a second lieutenant and immediately transferred to TBS (The Basic School) which is a six month course where you learn how to function as a basic company grade officer.
PLC is similar. Of note for the PLC program is that you can apply for a guaranteed air, law, or ground contract. You can apply for the Platoon Leaders Course as soon as you are enrolled in college. If you are a freshmen or sophomore, you will be sent to two separate six week courses at Officer Candidates School during two of your college summers. Same as OCC only it is split into two sessions. PLC Combined (what I did) is for college juniors who apply. Its the same as OCC, only you complete the ten week session the summer of your junior year. In both programs, you will be commissioned a second lieutenant upon verification of graduation with a Bachelor's degree, and you will await further orders to TBS.

LAW STUDENTS!!! LISTEN UP!!! Your little career path is going to be a little different for PLC and OCC. If you are in the JAG program, you will be attending law school and completing the bar exam before being sent to TBS. You don't get paid while you are doing this, but you do accumulate Time in Service and Time in Grade. Pretty Cool huh? My roommate at TBS was a JAG officer, and he was already a Captain while he was at TBS.
NROTC... Well, of course you have to find a college that offers and NROTC program. You will complete their program of instruction as you are going through college, and at some point you will select Marine Option. At this point, you will be sent to the six week bulldog course at Officer Candidates School.
Academy guys (West Point, Anapolis, etc) are commissioned as Second Lieutenants upon graduation from the academy. No OCS. Sent directly to TBS.
MECEP students. MECEP commissions Marines from the enlisted ranks. You put in a package through your chain of command, and if selected will be sent to college on the Marine Corps' dime (oorah) and paid while you are there. Upon graduation with a Bachelor's, you head off to the afore mentioned six-week bulldog course at OCS, commission upon graduation from there and head to TBS.
As far as LDO's (Limited Duty Officers) are concerned, I am going to have to look that one up because I have met very few of them, and the ones I have met were Navy guys on the General Aviation (Ground Support) side. I know we have them in the Corps; I just don't know much about them. Give me a couple days and I'll find out.
Anyways, Hepcat, hope that clears things up a little bit for you. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.
Some good websites are www.Marines.com, www.ocs.usmc.mil, www.marineofficercandidate.com, and of course to be put in touch with your local OSO (Officer Selection Officer) call 1-800-MARINES.
On a side note, since I started the post, I recieved alot of questions in my PM box. I don't mind answering them, but it is more beneficial to post your questions on the forum where everybody can read them, since many of you have the same question. However, if it is something you truly don't feel comfortable asking on an open forum, I will be more than happy to answer you with a PM.
Semper Fi,
LT Fairman

RoboRobinson17
10-30-03, 03:34 PM
Lt. Fairman,

Thanks for the prompt response. It was very helpful and informative as to the many different ways to obtain a commision.

SF,

Joe

WMjets
11-01-03, 03:13 PM
Good idea, sir. I was always surprised that there weren't more officers on this post.

I am a midshipman in Marine option (MO) NROTC at the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, so I can help with the more specific questions about NROTC and about the MECEP program, because they have a very similar program they go through with us. So if I don't know the answer to a MECEP question, I can talk to one of Marines here that are in that program.

Quick overview: With a (MO) NROTC scholarship, they will pay for tuition for four years (in special cases five years), give you a book allowance of $300 per term, and a living allowance of $250 per month, which increases each year. You go on cruises each summer, and the summer before your senior year you go to Bulldog, which is the six week version of OCS. Upon graduation you're commissioned as a second lieutenant.
FYI: It's a common misconception that you can go in with a navy option scholarship and easily transfer to Marine option. This is NOT true, transfering is a long, difficult process, and it's actually easier to just apply for a Marine option scholarship in the first place!

Like the Lt., I prefer to answer your questions on the forum.

Jo

jdfairman
11-01-03, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the quick response WM. Looks like you saved the bacon as far as the NROTC info. I was always under the impression you enrolled in NROTC and selected the Marine option after the fact. Thanks for weighing in and steering us in the right direction. I'll go ahead and edit my former post as well.

Caesar Augustus
11-01-03, 07:17 PM
hey JD your links have comma's at the end so they do not work. Just letting you know.

RoboRobinson17
11-01-03, 08:37 PM
How about "Lt. Fairman", or "sir"? I don't know about you, but those sure as h3ll sound like a proper form of respect to show a Leader of Marines. Use your head. A lack of attention to detail will get you or a member of your squad killed. You've posted alot; don't start becoming part of the "10%" of the poolees that we have on the boards that are turds now. Step up to the plate and lead.

Semper Fi,

Joe

jdfairman
11-02-03, 12:31 AM
I tried to edit the post earlier to clear up the links as well as correct some bum scoop I gave on NROTC (see above posts from WMJets). Unfortunately, posts are only correctable for six hours after they are posted. It looks like you're just going to have to type or copy/paste them into the address bar.

Caesar Augustus
11-02-03, 11:23 AM
Sorry about the lack of respect earlier.
Thank you for bringing that to my attention RoboRobinson

WMjets
11-02-03, 11:32 AM
Sir, as far as how to apply, possible candidates fill out a form with about a million pages (like most paperwork :) ), which is the same for Navy and MO (Marine option). The differences are that in the form there is a question that simply asks whether you want to be a Navy or Marine option, MOs take a PFT (your score is factored into your application), and the overall process for MOs is harder even though they use the same form.

Also, if you apply and don't get accepted into the program, you can go "College Program". In this case, you do everything with the NROTC battalion like the scholarship students do, but you don't go on the cruises or get your tuition paid for. You do get a living allowance (which is basically your paycheck) like they do. More people go college program than start with scholarships, but those on this program can pick up a scholarship if they are found to be worthy. You can talk to your local recruiter about this. He may not know very much about the program, since they typically work with enlisted, but he'll be able to point you to the right people, or you can also check out the Lieutenant's earlier post. He had some good websites and other ways to get in touch with the right people.

As far as the recruiters, we've all heard the horror stories, but the recruiters I talked to (in Saginaw, MI) were very honest with me. Just remember that even though they are typically good, honest people, they are still trying to sell you something. If something sounds suspicious, it never hurts to double check, and right here is a good place to do it.

Jo

jdfairman
11-03-03, 02:11 PM
Hey everybody... Today was interesting. Just got done with the infamous Helo-dunker. For the uninitiated, this contraption is a mock-up of a CH-46 that is suspended over a tank. You strap in, and it is lowered into the pool where it submerges and flips upside down (ditched helicopters tend to do that because they are so top heavy); then you and all your little buddies get unhook and swim out the specified exits. Not exciting enough?!! Thats OK, because after a couple rides you get to do it blind-folded.
It was a blast, and yeah... I know it has nothing to do with this thread, but hey... its my thread and rank hath its privileges right?:D
Keep the questions coming. Semper Fi.

Caesar Augustus
11-03-03, 03:54 PM
Yes it does sir.:D You're entitled to speak on whatever you want:) Not to mention its something interesting to hear that I'll never attempt. Here's a question. What do the OCC people skip out of OCS seeing how they only attend 1 10wk course while the PLC go to two six week courses? Couldn't think of anything else to ask but I didn't want to disobey a direct order:D

WMjets
11-03-03, 04:08 PM
You can talk about whatever you want, sir, especially that since I want to be a pilot ;).

jdfairman
11-03-03, 06:43 PM
The PLC program has two options. (See earlier post) Freshmen and Sophomores are generally sent to two separate summer terms of six weeks. These courses are known as PLC Juniors and PLC Seniors.
Juniors and Seniors (College juniors and seniors... not to be confused with the PLC juniors and seniors courses) are sent to what is known as PLC Combined. It is a ten week course identical to the OCC class. Remember... OCC is for those who already have a degree.
As for the reasoning why one course takes 12 weeks total while the other is 10 weeks total.... keep in mind that candidates returning for PLC Seniors have been away from OCS for one or two years, and they have probably forgotten a few things. It probably takes about a week to get everybody spun up to where they need to be to pick up where they left off in the PLC juniors course.
I know that all this is about as clear as mud, so if there are still questions, keep asking them.

jdfairman
11-03-03, 06:48 PM
WMJets... In your NROTC program, are there gauranteed aviation spots, ground spots, and law spots? I was wondering, because I've spoken to several Mids, and it seemed like a few of them had their air contract in the bag. But then again, one of my roommates at TBS went through regular MOS selection like everybody else.

WMjets
11-04-03, 09:38 AM
As I understand it, sir, if your grades in college are good and you're performing well in the battalion, you could get a guarentee, but this guarentee can be taken away if you screw up. The difficulty of the selection process varies depending on demand for certain types of officers. If you don't get a gurantee, I'm pretty sure you go through the normal selection process like everyone else.

Jo

gemntx
11-04-03, 12:55 PM
Thanks to jdfairman and WMjets for taking this post to task.

I would like to help, but any information I give would be outdated (25+ years). I came through the NROTC scholarship program. I was one of the fortunate ones that switched from Navy option to Marine option. I received a lot of "special attention" from the MOI and AMOI. When I went through they (USMC) had an aviation guarantee. Does that program still exist?

Keep up the good work, it's valuable information.

jdfairman: Enjoy your time in P-cola, it's hard to believe that they actually pay you to do that. Just remember, the reason you're up in the air is to support that guy on the ground.

WMjets: Work hard and stay focused, your opportunity will come. Remember to have fun in school, get the education, the degree will follow.

Glenn McGlaun
Phrogs Phorever

WMjets
11-04-03, 01:12 PM
Welcome aboard, sir.

Yes, the aviation guarantee does still exist; that is what I'm trying to get. I don't yet know a lot about the process, only what I've been told, which is basically what I wrote in my last post. How did it work when you went through? I'm also curious to know how the whole NROTC program has changed since you went through. Thank you for your input, sir.

Jo

jdfairman
11-04-03, 06:32 PM
Major GMENTX, I notice you are from the colony sir... my neck of the woods. I graduated from Denton High School and went on to Tarleton State. My old reserve unit is located at NAS JRB.
Anyways sir, when I went through TBS last fall, there were only two or three open spots for pilots and NFO's. Most of the spots are already filled by gauranteed contracts.

Semper Fi Sir...
Welcome Aboard

gemntx
11-05-03, 08:45 AM
When I went through the program, we had to take the AQT/FAR (Aviation Qualifying Test/Flight Aptitude Rating). I believe it was scored on a scale of 0-7. In order to be considered you had to score at least a 3/3. Since I had been in Aerospace Engineering, it was not that difficult. As you had mentioned in your earlier post, the underlying criteria is "Needs of the Marine Corps". Remember that phrase, you will hear it often in your career. Part of the equation is your performance at the unit. Personal performance is an important factor in everything that you will do in the Marine Corps.

As far as how the NROTC program changed? If I had to apply using today's standards, I probably would not get into the program. I was fortunate to go to Texas A&M and participate in the unit there. At the time (mid seventies) the Vietnam war had just ended and the military was drawing down. America still needed young, new officers. However, while I was at school I knew several Air Force cadets (Pilot designates) who were released from their contracts and found themselves looking for a job two weeks before graduation. I'm pleased to say that the Navy/Marine Corps did not have this problem. At the time the NROTC unit at school was in fact expanding. I just attended the 25th year reunion on the Company that I was a member. It was quite interesting to be back on campus. I've gotten a little long winded here. Bottom line, the cadets today are smarter and it appears that they rely on that intelligence a little more than raw strength and motivation.

Glenn

WMjets
11-05-03, 10:23 AM
Now, sir, they have the ASTB (Aviation Selection Test Battery). It's a timed test with six subjects: Math Verbal, Mechanical Comprehension, Spatial Appreciation, Aviation and Nautical Biographical Inventory (not graded), and Aviation Interest (graded?). The minimums are: Pilot-3/4/4, NFO-3/4/3, and USMC-4/6/4 (I'm not sure what these mean...). I learned this stuff from a Navy lieutenant here at the unit, so I don't know the specifics as far as the USMC (i.e. is the USMC score the minimum regardless of what you do?). Your GPA is also 45% of your selection package, reccomendation of your Naval Science professor is 10%, and I'm assuming that all of the other 45% is the ASTB, but they didn't say.

If you hadn't already guessed, I'm only a 4/c (fourth class - basically means I'm a freshman) and I don't know a whole lot about this yet. :D

Jo

WMjets
11-05-03, 10:41 AM
I did have another question, sir. How did your week then compare to mine now?

MY WEEK
Monday ~ 0545-0700: Battalion PT
Tuesday ~ 0545-0700: Remedial PT (PT for Navy options who failed their last PRT and optional for non-remedial midn -mmmmmmmmmmmmmiiMOs who fail PFT are switched to Navy option)
Thursday ~ 0545-0700: Remedial PT
mmnnii''''''~ 1530-1630: Battalion Close Order Drill
mmnnii''''''~ 1630-1730ish: Marine PT (MECEPs and MOs only)
Friday ~ 0600-0700: Marine Training (class to help prepare us for Bulldog/OCS)

Jo

gemntx
11-05-03, 02:11 PM
Let me preface my comment with this statement: The Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M is like no other. Yes I am biased in this opinion and make no apology for it. With that out of the way, the different service branches (Army, Air Force and Navy/Marine) did not get involved with the daily operations of the Corps. Our schedule was fairly easy to understand:

0530 Reveille
0600 Freshmen fell out for inspection and testing of knowledge.
0645 March to chow
0700 Breakfast
0800 Rooms had to be ready for inspection
1630 Unit activities (PT, Drill etc) This was the time that extracurricular organizations would meet (Drill Team, Recon Plt, Ranger Plt, etc)
1730 Formation/March to chow
1800 Evening Meal
1900 Call to Quarters (All underclassmen at their desk studying)
2200 Taps/Lights out

This is what I remember from my freshman year. Obviously the upperclassmen had different privileges in regards to Call to Quarters etc. When we had to run the PFT it was usually in the morning before breakfast. We would get the classroom prep for Bulldog during our Junior year with a Pre-Bulldog training period after finals of the Spring semester and before we shipped to Quantico.

Stick with it, you're going to do fine. Michigan is a good school. One of my Co-Pilots was from Michigan, and aerospace engineer. He's now flying for United. Outstanding pilot, officer and gentleman.

Good Luck
Glenn

WMjets
11-05-03, 02:49 PM
I don't know how you had time for all of that, sir. Lack of time is my biggest problem, and that would still be true if I wasn't in NROTC! I'm still "adjusting" to college life... or least I hope that's all it is. Battalion functions don't take a lot of time here, especially compared when you were in the program, but U of M likes to monopolize on my time! :)

Jo

acts837
11-05-03, 04:10 PM
Chiming in here on the NROTC comments. College Program students do not get any funds from Uncle Sam until they get selected for advance standing (usually Junior year).

Marine Option (MO) Scholarship is by far the best way to go if your parents aren't rolling in the dough and you have good grades/SAT scores. College Program students can get selected for a MO Scholarship if they post a high PFT and good grades their freshman year. Competition is tough that is why I encourage Midshipman to take school serious.

Caesar Augustus
11-05-03, 07:39 PM
You wouldn't happen to be a JAG would you Acts837? Just wondering because thats what I plan on becoming and if you are I would pepper you with questions:)

acts837
11-05-03, 09:24 PM
Sorry not a JAG. Was an 0311 for 9 years and have been an 0402 for 9.5 years. Doing my last tour now as a Marine Officer Instructor (MOI).

Caesar Augustus
11-06-03, 07:24 AM
Ahh ok. Well anything that you can think of that may be of help to me or any of the rest of us aspiring officers would be appreciated sir

WMjets
11-06-03, 08:00 PM
Thank you, Captain for chiming in about College Program. I must have been mistaken. Thank you for correcting me.

If you don't mind me asking sir, what college are you the MOI for? How does the schedule there differ from mine (see my previous post)? I always wondered how standardized the program was.

Jo

acts837
11-06-03, 08:14 PM
Auburn (http://www.auburnmarines.com) <- take a look.

The MECEP/Marine Options are in the NROTC Battalion; however, I seperated them out into our own Platoon (Charlie Co, 2nd Platoon). Almost everything we do is specifically geared towards value-added, Marine specific training. We are trying to create an environment that closely resembles the fleet. I was a MECEP at OU from 91-94 and I can honestly say that Auburn has a very demanding program. Right now we have 34 bodies in the Marine Platoon.

Sixguns
11-07-03, 07:58 AM
Hey Skipper (ACTS837),

Congratulations on your years of service and what I am sure has been a rewarding and enjoyable career. Are you planning on sticking around after pinning on Major or are you heading for retirement!!!

SF,

SIXGUNS

acts837
11-07-03, 08:14 AM
About 95% sure I'll punch at 21 (which will give me 2 years TIG as Major) and then start another career. I will be the first to admit that Corps has been good to me.

firstsgtmike
11-08-03, 03:52 PM
If I owned this site, had a computer crash and could only save one post and its threads

THIS would be the one I felt worth saving.

MarineAV04
12-02-03, 09:04 AM
Hi! I am currently a highschool senior. I have made the mistake of applying for the Navy ROTC scholarship and not selecting MO. What can I do about this now? Should I try to correct this now or wait until college? Thanks for the help!

MAJMike
12-02-03, 12:26 PM
Gentlemen, Marines and Poolees:

A little scoop on the PLC (Platoon Leaders Class) program. As a college undergraduate you can opt for two six week courses (one must be prior to the summer between your junior and senior years - ie: summers after both your sophomore and junior years). It's the curriculum of TBS (The Basic School) spread over two summers, with a couple of extra weeks added that are necessary for paperwork, and getting back up to speed for the second summer session. You'll go to Quantico and get paid about $3500 for each summer. Your expenses to and from Quantico are paid. You can also receive a monthly stipend in the neighborhood of $300-$350 per month during the school year - but I believe that this is only after completeing the first six week PLC session (I could be wrong on this detail - it's been a few months since I reviewed the specs). This means that your "pay" during your junior and senior years in college can be in the neighborhood of $7,000 per year - not bad while you are still in school. You are commissioned a 2nd. LT upon college graduation. This gives you some TIG (Time in Grade) over those who will elect to attend the 10 week TBS course following graduation as your date of rank/commission will be earlier.

PLC is a great program and I urge anyone in college who is interested in becoming a Marine Officer to discuss it with their local Officer Recruitment Officer.

MR Ventura
MAJ USMCR
1968-1975

MAJMike
12-02-03, 12:33 PM
LT Fairman:

Am I to assume that your present duty station is P'Cola? "Fun in the Sun?"

I have fond memories of P'Cola circa 1969 as both Marine and Naval aviators started down the path to Wings of Gold there.

I regret the passing of a legendary P'Cola Naval/Marine flight institution this past year. The (in)famous Trader Jon's - THE classic "watering hole" closed. Along with it went a ton of Navy/Marine flight memorabilia and a couple of C-5s worth of memories.

My best to you in your pursuit of your Wings of Gold. When you earn them, wear them with the honor that they deserve!

Former Marine Aviator and A6 driver.

MR Ventura
MAJ USMCR
1968-1975

MAJMike
12-02-03, 12:41 PM
Poolees:

As PFC Roborobinson17 stated earlier in this thread, when addressing or responding to an officer, your comment or question should begin with the word "Sir."

You might as well learn this now.

MR Ventura
MAJ USMCR
1968-1975

MEU Marine
12-02-03, 03:36 PM
Great interchange guys. Specifically good gouge about the MO... I felt that pain years ago at Duke when, realizing that I could never be a squid, I applied for MO only to be turned down twice in a row because my GPA was low (realizing I WAS at Duke, I was happy to be on track to graduate). However, I managed to pull up the GPS with the requisite fluff courses (Intro to... everything) and got accepted the semester before OCS. Many times I have seen the scene played out in my head where I could just have 'checked the box' for MO vice Navy Option- it's so simple then but sooo painful later. Anyway, I made it thru OCS, TBS a few other schools and 7 deployments so here I am today 15 years later.

You guys hit the nail on the head about little Officer Involvement here. However, in defense of my much-maligned Field Grade peers, most of us (me included) have family, kids, work and tons of stuff that keeps us off the computer during leisure time. No excuse for gaffing off an opportunity to 'mentor', so I will come online a few times a week as possible in case you want the advice of us 'older, mature, not quite yet broken' Officers of Marines. In the interim, the Lt and the Midshipman are doing just fine fielding all questions. And to think, I would have been off drinking and chasing girls if I were a Mid or Lt again....

Semper Fi Lads.

jdfairman
12-02-03, 05:31 PM
Dear Sir, Thanks for the good scoop on the money available during college while completing the PLC program. I wish I had applied for all the available funds.
For those wishing to apply, do your research and make sure you know about all of them. Like the Major said, there's alot out there.

Caesar Augustus
12-02-03, 07:01 PM
Sir, Maybe I misunderstood but when you said that it was the curriculum from TBS spread out, I thought that it was OCS split into two six week course. In no way am I trying to correct you sir, just trying to get my information straight

Caesar

Caesar Augustus
12-02-03, 07:04 PM
Sir, also once you are enrolled in the PLC do they have regular meetings like they do in DEP. Also is just up to the OSO to determine whether or not you go to mini OCS?

Caesar

acts837
12-02-03, 07:25 PM
OCS and TBS are two very distinct animals. Yes, some of the same material is covered but way more indepth at TBS. I'll being TAD to OCS this summer so I'll let you know if it has changed from what I remember.

Caesar Augustus
12-02-03, 08:32 PM
Thats what I thought Sir, I was just making sure I had my facts straight. Thank you for taking the time answer our questions.

jdfairman
12-09-03, 09:43 PM
I doubt you'll be having many meetings like the ones in the DEP when you enroll in PLC, but it will most likely differ from office to office. My OSO office was out of Dallas, and we had very few get togethers other than the Marine Corps Ball and pre-OCS.

MAJMike
12-09-03, 09:53 PM
Mr. Augustus -

You are CORRECT and I am responsible for a typo. I typed "TBS" in the post above when I meant to type "OCS." Thank you for pointing it out!

PLC COVERS OCS in two 6 week programs and you are commissioned upon graduation.

MR Ventura
MAJ USMCR
1968-75

Caesar Augustus
12-10-03, 11:54 AM
Dear Sir, No problem on pointing out the mistake although it was more out of confusion that I pointed it out. Just a question for all of the officers, what is the Marine Corps ball like?

Sgtj
12-10-03, 03:33 PM
Sir(s) Sgt Jolly here, I was wondering what you recommend the 6 weeks or 10 weeks, I am deciding between the two right now. My OSS is sort of pushing for the (2) 6 week program...

acts837
12-10-03, 06:36 PM
I'm not an OSO but from my understanding you start getting monthly $$ after you complete your first PLC summer. Hence, I would go to the (2) 6 week program.

acts837
12-10-03, 06:41 PM
Caesar Augustus - Not easy to describe what a Marine Corps Birthday Ball is like because no two are the same. I attended my 18th Ball last month and I can say that it was a very rewarding experience. My opinion has changed over the years -- I now feel very honored just to be able to attend because one day soon it will all be over for me.

Caesar Augustus
12-10-03, 08:16 PM
Sir, I thought that even once you are no longer an active duty Marine that you could attend the ball. I was under the impression that current and former(for lack of a better term) Marines were welcome and that the oldest Marine always passed the sword down to the youngest Marine.

jdfairman
12-10-03, 08:18 PM
I chose the ten week course. Both have their advantages. The main one with going for ten weeks is that you complete OCS one shot one kill. Taking the other route gets you more dollars. Thats what it basically comes down to.
As far as the Ball, it really depends on the unit you are with and how much effort the Ball reps put into it. If you're in a tight unit, rest assured you're going to have a blast. Most start with a cocktail hour, then Officer's Call is sounded, dinner is served, and the birthday ceremony is carried out with the cake and General Lejeune's message. Its a pretty neat ceremony. Lots of history behind it. After that, the party gets underway.
Please remind me if I forget anything Gentlemen. Flight school is underway and my brain is generally fried by the end of the day.

Caesar Augustus
12-10-03, 08:25 PM
Cocktail hour wouldn't be any fun for me seeing how I'm such a youngen:). I'll only be 17 when I graduate from boot camp. I've heard that an advantage of doing the 2 six week courses is that you arent as likely to get hurt because of the intermissions and if you do get hurt you only have to tough it out a couple of weeks instead of several.

WMjets
12-10-03, 09:15 PM
I attended my first Birthday Ball on 7 Nov this year. I was the youngest, so I was in the ceremony. I had been to a ceremony before, but it was kind of a mini one, not a Ball. It was at a poolee meeting a couple years ago. It was a great experience and I'm happy that I went. Don't worry, I'm only 18, but I still enjoyed cocktail hour... no cocktails required :).

Jo

acts837
12-10-03, 09:18 PM
True, once a Marine always a Marine; however, sometimes things aren't so simple. We extend an invitation to the Marine Corps League members in our area but some units may not.

Caesar Augustus
12-10-03, 09:35 PM
Ahh. Down here We have a big to do. If you went downtown you would see current and past Marines all in their dress blues. I think they had the ceremony at the Bass Hall this year. To say the least a lot of us poolee's went downtown just to see the new and old generations of Marines

mtwhite
12-13-03, 12:10 AM
Could an Officer or anyone help with the following questions.

I have 3yrs. of college and I want to join up. Should I go reserves and finish college then try to get the commission???

or should I go active and try to finish will serving active duty then get a commission??

Also can you have MOS 0311 in the reserves???:qmark:

If anybody could help me promptly I would be deeply greatfull.
Because I want to join your corp!!!

P.S. I have no R.O.T.C. training.
MY e-mail is posted if you prefer

jdfairman
12-13-03, 12:59 AM
Yes.... you can be an 0311 in the Reserves. Whether you join the Reserves or not is completely up to you. I found it to be very rewarding, and I think I am a better officer for having done it. However, if you only have three years left in college and you are CERTAIN that you want to make becoming a Marine Officer your goal, then it may not be the most direct route.Also, switching to active duty from the Reserves is not that easy. You don't just walk into admin and tell them you want to go active duty. Most of the time its a long difficult process, and theres no guarantee you'll get it. If I were you, I would seek out the Officer Selection Officer in my area and tell them I was interested in becoming a Marine Officer. They will give you information on the best way to go about achieving this goal.

acts837
12-13-03, 08:44 AM
Am I to understand that you are a Junior? If so my advice would be PLC; hence, contact the Officer Selection Officer in your area. What college do you attend?

MAJMike
12-13-03, 05:17 PM
Soooo many questions! Here's a few answers:

1) YES, you can have an 0311 MOS in the reserves, BUT - you have to belong to a unit that has 0311s. In other words, you have to join a reserve unit with infantry line companies. If your reserve unit is a comm unit or an engineering unit or part of the air wing, then there will not be any 0311 MOSs available. Even in an infantry unit, there are "slots" for the various necessary MOSs. When you enlist in that unit, you enlist in that slot - so unless you are enlisting for an 0311 slot, your aren't going to get it.

2) Commissioning - As stated elesewhere in this thread, PLC (Platoon Leader's Class) is probably the best way to earn a a commission out of college. You get OCS "out of the way" while an undergraduate and receive your commission upon graduation.

3. Two six week vs one 10 week PLC summer program. First of all, check your school schedule to see if you can fit in a 10 week PLC course between the end of spring semester or quarter and the beginning of fall semester or quarter. Understand that the Corps schedules PLC courses on THEIR schedule, not yours. For instance, a PLC class may not begin until 15 June - could you do a ten week course and be back on campus for the beginning of your fall semester? Personally, I like the two six week courses (not an option when I did it more than 30 years ago!). It fits into your summer "break" better AND you get paid for both summers and are also eligible for a monthly stipend during the school year. You can make upwards of $13,000 from the summer of your sophomore year through graduation if you qualify for all the stipends and max your summer pay. Probably more than you would make during the typical "summer job" over two summers.

4). As LT. Fairman accurately points out, it is NOT a seamless transition from the reserves to regulars in the officer corps. "Regular" slots depend on a combination of a lot of variables - retention of current regular officers in the MOS field; the CORPS need for regular officers in the MOS field; where YOU rank among reserve officers attempting to become regular officers. And, as a regular officer, there will be a point in your career wheree you may need to decide if you want to stay in your MOS or move into the admin side of the Corps. The further you get up the MOS pyramid, the fewer slots available for promotion and retention and the more competitive it becomes.

5) Like virtually every school in the Corps, including Recruit Training, there are a limited number of slots. PLC is no different. An OSO may "guide" you to a ten week PLC course because there is a need to fill those slots as demand for the 6 week course may be greater. OSOs are like enlisted recruiters in that they have slots to fill - slots that are specific positions in specific classes.

6) The Ball - whether a "formal" ball in dress/mess or a more casual environment, you can ALWAYS find a Marine Corps Birthday celebration with former Marines. This year I did NOT attend a formal ball, although the local (Atlanta) Marine Unit (MAG 42) extends an invitation to all former Marines ( I was out of town on business on that date) and opted for a well-known annual celebration at a local watering hole a few days before November 10. I was dressed casually, although I wore my old CWU-45 flight jacket with appropriate Marine Corps aviation patches. There were several officer and enlisted (active duty, reserve and retired) Marines in dress blues and some in Alphas. I spent an enjoyable evening (perhaps the best "ball" I've ever had!) at the bar swapping sea stories with two other "former" aviators - one in civvies, a retired LtCol, and the other in his Alphas - with two stars on his collar - MajGen Larry Taylor. The "youngest-oldest" cake ceremony was observed and all the other traditions of a more formal ball. I've been to formal $75 a ticket balls and less formal celebrations. It's not the type of "ball" - it's the Marines attending that make it worthwhile.

7) You do not need ROTC training to be eligible for PLC.

8) The BEST scoop on PLC and any other officer programs come from you local or regional OSO (Officer Selection Officer). Look it up on the net, or contact a local recruiter for the name and location of the nearest OSO. Many are located in college towns near the larger universities.

MR Ventura
MAJ USMCR
1968-1975

gatormatt
12-24-03, 11:18 AM
Caesar Augustus, I'm going the JAG route as well. Last summer I attended PLC Juniors. If you want to get PLC law contract you first need to get accepted into an ABA accreditted law school. Until then you just attended OCS under a ground contract. There is also a minimal LSAT score requirement. I was a junior last summer and was still allowed to attend the PLC 2 6 week option rather than the 10. My OSO recommended this option because the fallout rate is much less. With the 10 week program injuries tend to add up.

As for money, the first year after you complete any training you receive $300 per month. Each year in school thereafter, you monthly stipend increases $50. This adds additional time to your contract but I believe it is only 6 months. While in law school I will apply for CTAP (college tuition assistance program) which will pay $5200 a year.

For the gentleman who have attended OCS, is the blue knowledge that was used for PLC Juniors the same as is used for Seniors. We did not cover all the chapters and I was thinking I could save some sleep by answering questions in the chapters we did not cover, before I head back next summer.

I appreciate all the information that is being shared.

Matt

Caesar Augustus
12-24-03, 07:26 PM
Gator-I'm going to do the 2 six week courses during my fresh and soph year. Mainly because of the money and fewer injuries. What was the first incriment of OCS like. Don't you receive 7000 for tuition after the first incriment?

gatormatt
12-24-03, 08:21 PM
Caesar- I believe you can get the CTAP while you are in undergrad, but by doing that you cannot get it when you go to law school. Since I only have one more year in undergrad, it makes more since to postpone it for law school and get it for three years instead of one. Also, I believe if you accept CTAP as an undergrad, your time in service resets to the date of your graduation, rather than the date you first attended OCS.

As far as the 2 six week courses go. Most people that do that attend the PLC juniors as a fresh. or soph and then attend seniors as a senior.

I went to first increment for Juniors. It started May 25th and ended July 3. It rained probably 80% of the days I was there, which is supposedly very unusual. I would recommend attended first increment because the weather is cooler, not much, but every bit helps. Many candidates complained about the humidity, I from Florida though so it wasn't really that bad. The main problem I had was on the humps. I'm only 5'8'' so I was always in the rear with the rest of the "little ones". Also being from Florida I've never really hiked much in the hills so that was difficult. Lately I've been doing 30 minutes on a treadmill at max incline after I workout.

Another thing that I wish I would have learned before I went was some close order drill. I was the second candidate in teh platoon to be candidate platoon sergeant and I did not have a clue what foot to call anything on.

Basically it was the best experience of my life. Hated it while I was there but i can't wait to go back to seniors. July 4th was a lot different after I got back and I can see why the men and women on this board are so proud to be Marines. Can't wait until I can join them.

If you have anymore questions just let me know.

Matt

Caesar Augustus
12-24-03, 09:04 PM
I will be areservist by then so hopefully the physical part wont be near as bad. I'd rather get it over with my first two years. Drill and humping shouldn't be a problem since I will have been done with boot camp for about a year and a month by the time I'd attend the first incriment. I was under the impression that you only started getting TIS once you were commisioned not once you finished OCS. Then in law school you get TIS and may finish TBS as a Captain

jdfairman
12-30-03, 08:42 PM
Thanks Gatormatt for the info. Its good to have someone aboard who is in the know about the JAG side of the house.

gatormatt
01-03-04, 01:19 AM
Ceasar Augustus, I'm not really sure what TIS is so i can't really comment on that part. As far as finishing TBS as a Captain, my OSO said it possible but not real likely. He said that you might get Captain within your first year after TBS. Some officers I know that are in law school now made 1st Lt. just before they began their 3rd year.

Your welcome for the info Sir (jdfairman). I don't know everything, but I've been trying to learn all there is about JAG. Are you stationed in Pensacola or is that where you are from?

Matt

acts837
01-03-04, 07:17 AM
TIS = time in service
TIG = time in grade

In my TBS class we had a PLC Lawyer pin on Capt.

jdfairman
01-08-04, 07:49 PM
I'm actually in Corpus Christi, TX for Primary. Was in P-cola for API. Guess I need to change my profile.

gemntx
01-27-04, 07:06 PM
Welcome Back to Texas!

Good Luck in Primary. I hope you have time to enjoy the beach, from sea level instead of 1500'.

Glenn

jdfairman
01-27-04, 08:30 PM
Yeah right sir. With all this studying, about the most I see of the beach is when I'm 1/2 wingtip distance off of it and headed to the training area. Primary is a blast. I still can't believe I get paid to do this. My onwing is also an instructor for the OCF (Out of Control Flight) portion of the IP course. I can always tell there's something fun in store when he says, "Hey, wanna see something kinda crazy?" The other day, he put the plane in a cross-controlled departure. I think it was accelerated as well. It was pretty wild. He followed that with a couple of loops and a barrel roll. About 15 minutes later, I was feeling a little weird. I guess it takes that long for your stomach to realize things aren't as they should be. But, I still managed to retain my cookies, and it was worth every bit of it. Its gonna be quite a while, but I can't wait to start Aerobatics.

gatormatt
01-27-04, 09:49 PM
Sir (jdfairman), some of my friends are interested in a flight contract, but they don't have perfect vision. Do you know what surgeries if any they are accepting these days, and if so are these just for helos or can you also fly jets? Also, while at OCS our CO told us that in Pensacola there is a doctor known as Doctor Doom that denies the physicals on a lot of the flight contracts, mainly for vision problems. What do these officers end up doing?
Thanks in advance
Matt

gemntx
01-28-04, 07:27 AM
jdfairman

Here's three sayings thay my crewchiefs hated to hear:

"Let me see if I remember how to do this."
"OOPS!"
"Oh Sh**!"

Remember these, as you may hear your instructors use them.

Good Luck.

Glenn

jdfairman
01-28-04, 02:30 PM
Vision requirement is 20/40 in each eye correctable to 20/20.
PRK is the only surgery that is currently approved for a waiver. The effects of Lasik are still being studied, so it is not yet approved. I have a friend who got PRK and had no problem obtaining a waiver. He had good luck with it and is now training in our sister squadron. The only drawback was that he had to pay for it himself. He considered it well worth it. Ask your OSO or MOI about the process. Also, check out www.nomi.med.navy.mil . Select the HTML sight, select NAMI off the sidebar, have a look around. Take a look at the waiver guide. Lots of good info.

jdfairman
01-28-04, 02:39 PM
Also, as far as I could tell, when I was there, the flight surgeons aren't out to get you. If you're elgible for a waiver, you'll more than likely get one. Try not to put too much stock in the rumor mill. You'll only worry yourself to death needlessly.

gatormatt
01-28-04, 04:33 PM
Thank you sir. I'm nowhere near 20/40 so I have pretty much accepted that I'll never get to fly a multi-million dolaar aircraft. But I have some friends that really want to fly, but have doubts about their eyesight. I could never really give them that much information, so they were talking to some Air Force recruiters. Maybe this info will help me get them back from the darkside. Thanks again sir.
Matt

jdfairman
01-28-04, 05:58 PM
You might be able to fly. Like I say, look into the PRK. Even if you have to pay for it yourself, if you really yearn to fly its probably worth it.

Sixguns
01-28-04, 07:13 PM
Lieutenant,

YOur information is accurate and up-to-date. Lasik is actually being performed on some servicemembers who are qualified. This is after they have been accepted for service. In the D.C. area the wait could be anywhere from 6 months to 2 years for the procedure if you are selected as a candidate.

One thing I would caution an aviation officer candidate on is the fact that an aviation guarantee does not guarantee you a seat in a cockpit. There is the chance you could end up as an aviation maintenance officer, air defense officer or a few other MOS's outside of the cockpit. I personally would not go through PRK. I would say become a Marine officer, regardless of aviation guarantee or not. Go out and get a private pilot's license and fly recreationally if you really want to fly.

SF,

Sixguns

gatormatt
01-29-04, 12:15 AM
I am currently a ground contract, but as soon as I get accepted to law school I will switch over to law contract. I'm looking forward to doing law because I heard that although the first few years is basically drafting wills and landlord/tenant type stuff, the years that follow allow the opportunity for some pretty neat legal work.

Thanks again to everyone for the information.

Matt

WMjets
02-16-04, 03:40 PM
For those of you new to the forum: I'm a midshipman in Marine option NROTC at the University of Michigan.

Sorry, I haven't been around lately, lots and lots of studies. I just got a chance to skim the last two pages, didn't see anything that I could really give any input on. If there is something that someone wants me to look at, post it and then you can let me know via email (sfdoordie@yahoo.com). I should be able to find the time for a speedy response if I know that there is something for me specifically. Sorry about the hassle. It'll only be until May when school lets out.

Thanks,
Jo

Blakeney
02-21-04, 10:07 PM
I am also a MO NROTC Mid at Marquette U in Milwaukee WI, I am college program and would be more than willing to give any advice to anybody looking at it. My one bit of advice would be to NOT talk with your recruiter about NROTC....DO talk with your local recruiter for info about the Corps, local recruiters are the BEST source of general Corps info. However, they do have quotas to fill, and (in my experience) would much rather have you enlist than be in NROTC.

I also appologize that it's been a while since I've been to the site, SOO much study, whoever said this college thing was easy had never gone.

I have a question for the Officers, are any of you Infantry Officers? That is where I want to go and I am wondering what I have to look forward too.

OohRaah!
MIDN Blakeney

Ps. I just judged a JNROTC Drill Meet today and if any of you poolees are JROTC, props to you. You will definetly be ahead of the game, as long as you never think that you are ahead of the game, if you get what I'm saying.

pitbull04
02-21-04, 10:55 PM
I'm currently an applicant for the NROTC scholarship and I'm just wondering about "in contract" NROTC. I mean for the many kids that don't receive the scholarship, most apply for a contract in college. That is like they'll pay for the first year or whatever of college while going through NROTC and if they applied themeselves i believe they are offered a contract by the Navy/ Marines in which the rest of the schooling is paid for. The question i have is what are the chances of getting offered the "in contract" way through college if denied the NROTC scholarship. The reason i am asking is that i been juggling in my mind the NROTC way or going through MECEP or BOOST, but really wanting to earn my anchor globe and eagle one way or another. Going to college for free isn't my goal, becoming an officer is.

Thanks to anyone who replies.

pitbull04

Blakeney
02-23-04, 09:44 PM
Pitbull,

The way I understand it, being a non-scholarship Marine Op NROTC Student, is that there are a number of ways to go about getting your commission through NROTC. If you do not recieve your 4 year scholarship you should contact the NROTC Recruiting Officer at the school you want to go to (this can be done by going to the school's website and finding the NROTC website, or by going to the navy's NROTC website and finding the appropriate link to your school) Once you have contacted the recruiting officer tell him or her that you did not recieve the scholarship but would still like to join the program as a College Program Marine Option Midshipman. You and the officer will have some paper work to do (yes, the paperwork for NROTC is literally never ending)

Once in school you MOI (Marine Officer Instructor) will work with you to get you the 3 year scholarship. No matter what, 4, 3, 2 year or no scholarship you will not be obligated to go this route until sophmore year. If you never pick up a scholarship, and assuming your MOI approves once you enter you junior year you will recieve Advanced Standing College Program, that is the point at which you will be Contracted to the Marine Corps if you never pick up a sholarship. Once you are Advanced Standing you are approved to go to OCS and get commissioned.

The advantage to going through NROTC as a college programer as opposed to just doing PLC is that you do Marine PT 2-3 times a week with a Staff or Gunnery Sgt who was/is a DI and will make sure you are in shape. To all of you Sirs out there that went through PLC, I am in no way saying NROTC is better than PLC , just different.

The basic idea is if you do not get the 4-year and don't feel bad if you don't, very few people recieve the 4-year scholarship because the Marine Corps doesn't have a lot of money to throw around, go to a school with NROTC, do College Program, keep your grades above a 3.0, get at least a 230 on your PFT, make sure you SHOW your MOI how much you want to be a Marine and what you are willing to do to get the oh-so-coveted title. (Keep in mind, motovation and determination cannot be told, only shown) Do these things and you should be set.

Well, I know, a lot of info for a seemingly cut and dry matter but there's a lot that goes into the whole deal. If anything I said is not clear or you want more info I'd be happy to help you out.

OooRah!
MIDN Blakeney

jdfairman
02-23-04, 10:12 PM
Thanks MIDN Blakeney. Great info. I am glad there are a few NROTC guys on the thread. I can talk all day long about PLC, but I know zero about NROTC.

jdfairman
02-24-04, 04:35 PM
See you all in about a month and a half.

Blakeney
02-24-04, 04:59 PM
Lt Fairman,

I'm glad to talk about NROTC and I appriecate the info about PLC and TBS.

OooRah!

Aggie04
03-19-04, 12:35 AM
Sir, I have a question about the PFT. I applied to PLC and I know that I will post high and possibly perfect scores for crunches and the 3-mile run. But my pullups are a bit lacking by OCS standards (I only decided to apply involved about a month and a half ago and while I've been running/crunching for some time now I pretty much neglected pullups). This is frustrating because I have good upper body strength when it comes to benching and the like. My recruiter's helped a ton showing me the Armstrong technique and other exercises but I'm worried that it won't be enough in time for my PFT a week from now. How significantly will it affect my application if I have a strong showing in the other two categories? My GPA is a 2.86 and I have a decent resume, if that's any help.

Thank you for any information.

jdfairman
03-19-04, 10:22 AM
A 2.86 GPA and an awesome run time can carry you pretty far. The main problem with lacking pullups is that each one counts for five points of your PFT. Do the math. Thats alot of points. Its hard to give you a solid answer. It all depends on how many slots are available this year and how competitive it is.
If you don't mind me asking, how many pullups can you do at this point? What is your current PFT score? How fast is the run? How many crunches?

mrbeeans
03-19-04, 12:07 PM
my question is to anyone out there who can answer it. ive got a secret clearance and im stationed in kings bay georgia. i did very well on the asvab test though i have no college courses under my belt. im beginning to complete mcis as fast as i can get them. what would be the proper or best way to obtain a commission? thanks to anyone who should reply. semper fi

0311/8152 USMC

jdfairman
03-19-04, 01:21 PM
Good on you for getting your PME squared away. It goes without saying that you need to stay squared away and keep your nose clean. Start asking some of the officers around your unit about their careers, and let them know you are interested in pursuing a commission. Talk to your unit's career planner and ask him/her about some of the different programs like MECEP and the Naval Academy. Keep your immediate chain of command advised of your intentions as well. It also would be very beneficial to enroll in some off-duty college courses if you have the time to do so. You can probably plan on being a senior corporal (at least) before acceptance to these programs, but the sooner you start the ball rolling (researching information on the different programs, possible some college courses) the better.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.

Aggie04
03-19-04, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by jdfairman
A 2.86 GPA and an awesome run time can carry you pretty far. The main problem with lacking pullups is that each one counts for five points of your PFT. Do the math. Thats alot of points. Its hard to give you a solid answer. It all depends on how many slots are available this year and how competitive it is.
If you don't mind me asking, how many pullups can you do at this point? What is your current PFT score? How fast is the run? How many crunches?

Well sir I can do about 6-7 pullups, which is embarassing to admit but it's twice what I could do a month ago. The last run I timed myself was just under 20:00 and if I push myself harder during the PFT it should be even lower. I did 100 crunches in 1:40 which wasn't much of a problem. I know that at this rate by the time PLC actually starts I'll be able to do many more pullups. Thanks for the help!

WMjets
07-17-04, 01:42 PM
Blakeney,
Welcome aboard. I'm glad to see a college program mid, because I know very little about the program. I don't remember who said it, but they were absolutely right: recruiters are not the best people to talk to to get information about officer programs because they of course recruit primarily enlisted. However, they can still be very useful, because they can help you get in touch with the right people. I only talked with recruiters before becoming a midshipman, and because of that I didn't know college program existed, so I would've gone MECEP if I hadn't gotten the scholarship!

Any questions about the NROTC/MECEP programs, just throw them out there. Between Blakeney, myself, and all the Marines out there, we should be able to answer it.

Good luck to all trying to earn the title,
Jo

Caskins17
06-03-08, 01:55 PM
Hello, I'm interested in becoming an officer through the MECEPS program. I was just wondering about the MOS's for female officers. I've been doing some research on it and I've heard from others that female officer mos's are limited. So which/how many are open to women?

MyCorps
06-03-08, 02:59 PM
mainly the 03xx series is not open to females. That would translate to any combat (infantry, artilley...) unit. I thought you were going into intel? Have you changed or are wanting to change your MOS?

Caskins17
06-03-08, 04:11 PM
Well I'm enlisting as Intel but I thought when you become an officer you had to take on a different type of job or something like that. When I checked out the main Marines site about officer mos's I didn't really see anything pertaining to Intel. That's why I was wondering about the mos's.

MyCorps
06-04-08, 10:18 AM
Check your PM's. I sent you a message.

LCpl Turner
09-27-08, 03:44 AM
Sir, I would like to start off by saying thank you for helping out in any way possible as sometimes it seems as it is difficult to approach officers as they are to busy or we dont want to interrupt anything they might be doing. I am looking into putting my MECEP package in next fiscal year so I have plenty of time for preparation and getting everything needed. My ASVAB score from MEPS is only a 65 and I was wondering if I should re-take it to get my score higher or if it makes that big of a difference? I am also in a few college classes and should be very close to an assoiciates degree before putting my package in, though I have not taken my SAT. Is that something else I should look into or is that just another 'add on' so to speak? i will probably have many more questions but of coarse when I sit down to ask them, I forget. But thank you again Sir and Semper Fi to all the Marines on this board.

LCpl Turner
09-28-08, 03:54 AM
Sorry I would like to correct myself by saying Gentlemen for all of the Officers that are helping and didn't mean anything by just saying Sir. Thanks again to everyone who is helping on this board, i.e. Officers, Senior Enlisted, and Midshipmen.

Isrowei
09-28-08, 11:47 AM
Your SATs are your biggest concern right now. If you don't have a valid score (or it isn't over 1000), get take the test ASAP. That'll give you a chance to retake it if you aren't happy with the score and also let you know any potential areas you should focus your study on.

LCpl Turner
09-29-08, 03:07 AM
Alright, I'll get that going ASAP. Thanks Sir.

Harden77441
10-04-08, 08:12 PM
what should my major be if i want to become an intellegence officer?

FromMD
10-07-08, 08:57 PM
what should my major be if i want to become an intellegence officer?
Your major does not matter too much in MOS selection, unless you become proficient in a foreign language. As long as you get a degree you are good to go, MOS selection is done at TBS.

They break the TBS class in to 3 parts: top middle bottom. The top one of each gets part first choice, second, third and so on (I hope that makes sense). If you are at the bottom of any of the parts (even bottom of the top) you get the last pick. Though I have heard that there may be other influences too. Most people get one of their top 3(?) choices.

This ensures diversity among the MOSs

LCpl Turner
10-08-08, 01:18 AM
Ok now I have got a scheduled time to take my ASVAB and SAT, what would any recommendations be to start after those? I have a friend who says he has a disc that guides him along setting up the MECEP package; does anyone know where I could find that or something similar or should I just pretty much just follow the order?

duarte
10-22-08, 10:32 PM
Sirs (any), I know it has been a while since this thread was last used i hope i can get some answers. I DEP'ed in about 4 weeks ago and signed up for Legal Admin. Later on, I learned that there were ways for me to become a Marine Fighter Pilot. I'm a senior in high school, haven't taken SAT's or ACT's, but I do have an 85 on my ASVAB. I learned about MECEP thanks to your knowledge (Marines, Enlisted and Officers) and I asked my recruiter about it. She basically told me what i already knew from you guys. But my questions are:

-What should I focus on? Ex: My high school GPA? SAT's?

-How can i get my aviation guarantee? Or does it not apply to me since I'm not going to college until I qualify for MECEP?

Any answers that I can obtain are so much appreciated. I know i asked some questions like this some time ago, I just did not word them correctly. My fault.

FromMD
10-23-08, 10:08 AM
Sirs (any), I know it has been a while since this thread was last used i hope i can get some answers. I DEP'ed in about 4 weeks ago and signed up for Legal Admin. Later on, I learned that there were ways for me to become a Marine Fighter Pilot. I'm a senior in high school, haven't taken SAT's or ACT's, but I do have an 85 on my ASVAB. I learned about MECEP thanks to your knowledge (Marines, Enlisted and Officers) and I asked my recruiter about it. She basically told me what i already knew from you guys. But my questions are:

-What should I focus on? Ex: My high school GPA? SAT's?

-How can i get my aviation guarantee? Or does it not apply to me since I'm not going to college until I qualify for MECEP?

Any answers that I can obtain are so much appreciated. I know i asked some questions like this some time ago, I just did not word them correctly. My fault.

You need to be on track to become an officer. Work on your GPA and SAT so you can get into school. When it comes time for you to sign your contract to head off to OCS it will be ground, aviation, NFO, lawyer or reserve.

duarte
10-23-08, 01:52 PM
Sir, thank you. i will work on all of that..

chucktx90
10-26-08, 09:37 PM
Hi,

I have a question regarding NROTC Marine Option. I enlisted this past June and have been active in the DEP since then. About a month ago my recruiters called me and had me start filling out the NROTC application. I hardly knew what I was signing up for at the time, but they just told me to do it because I am a senior at a college prep school. I have sent in my applications and am current applying to University of San Diego, University of Texas, University of Missouri, U of South Carolina, and U of Arizona. Now, enough of my life story(lol), my question is do you think the fact that I am already enlisted in the Marine Corps will help me be accepted into the program? I scored a 281 on the PFT but my GPA is about an 83 with a low SAT, which im working on getting up before the selection board meets. I was just wondering if any of you Marines/Midshipmen could give me your opinion on how much weight being in the DEP has in the selection process.

Thank you very much!
Chuck

0231Marine
10-28-08, 11:56 AM
You're not enlisted in anything. You're simply in the DEP. You don't become enlisted until you step on those yellow foot prints.

I don't believe that you being in the DEP has any bearing on your selection into an ROTC program. You have no military experience so it should not sway a selection panel one way or another.

tonyyybro
11-03-08, 03:12 AM
For those prior enlisted and now an Officer, I was wondering what is harder, enlisted boot camp of OCS?

introspect
11-10-08, 02:08 PM
If I'm going active duty, but hoping to get selected for MECEP to become an officer (to become a pilot) should I be worried about taking the ACT or my SAT at all? Btw, I got a 79 on my asvab if that accounts for anything.

Thanks

Blutic
12-10-08, 12:19 PM
I went through bootcamp at PI and then got accepted to OCS in the same year. I think OCS was much harder physically and mentally, but PI had a much higher misery factor. ie pit, quarterdeck, etc.

keystone6541
12-10-08, 11:49 PM
Just to let all the motivators out there know, the BOOST program has been canceled until further notice. MARADMIN 676/08 states that the Navy BOOST program has been eliminated. The current BOOST class in session will be the last BOOST class and will graduate during May 2009. So you better start getting you MECEP packages ready!

keystone6541
12-11-08, 12:04 AM
Sir,
I am currently on the MSG program and now putting together my MECEP package due to the canceling of the BOOST program. My college GPA thus far is outstanding and my ROS is great but...my high school grades are horrible. I know that their is a waiver for this but what are the actual chances I have in being accepted into the MECEP program with this problem. Thank you for the help.

Cpl Sardinta

monster09
02-08-09, 08:42 PM
I'm a Marine Sgt. and was curious if anyone can help me find a deadline for this year for the MECEP package. Is the MARADMIN or the order out yet? I have not been able to find it.

Also, is it true that you apply to the colleges AFTER getting accepted to MECEP. Right now, I currently take courses in my spare time and will obviously have to apply to colleges if getting accepted.

DIBLO7
02-08-09, 11:21 PM
The MARADMIN isn't out yet for this year (FY10). It should be out sometime April-ish. Since it isn't out the due dates aren't out either, but they're normally due to MCRC sometime in October, which means your package would need to be done in the early summer to get it to everyone that needs to see it. Look at MARADMIN 270/08, the new one will look very similar to that.

Yes, you apply to colleges after getting accepted. You'll have plenty of time, plus if accepted, you'll get a 9 million requests from different NROTC's trying to get you to go to their unit. A lot of colleges will accept you solely on your MECEP acceptance, so if you are accepted its a good idea to apply to one of those if you don't get into your #1 school.

monster09
02-11-09, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the help, DIBLO7

themostwanted1
02-12-09, 02:41 PM
monster,
i am currently interested in putting a MECEP package together as well, and have done a little research on my own. The MECEP board meets once a year, every december. so plan to have your package put together and turned in no later than nov. the deadline date is normally a month before the actual board meets. already having certain things together will make the process much easier, such as official copies of test scores (ACT, SAT) and transcripts for prior college and high school. also printing off the info from your BIR/BTR from MOL isnt a bad idea either, since that info always seems to find its way into the paperwork. good luck with your package.
also depending on how many college credits you have, you may want to look into MCP as well.

brovowisky
02-13-09, 03:27 PM
Thank you gentlemen that is a lot of advice and answered a lot of my questions. I have one more at the moment. I was enlisted and got out after 4 1/2 yrs(over 4 yrs due to stop loss) as a Sgt in 2003 i have just started school and was looking at re-enlisting or maybe going Officer. I know that the age limit for me to go back in enlisted is 32. I am wondering if there is an age limit for me to go Officer, also do i have to go to a college that has NROTC in order to do the officer program through college.

DIBLO7
02-13-09, 06:13 PM
monster,
so plan to have your package put together and turned in no later than nov. the deadline date is normally a month before the actual board meets.

If you wait until November, it wont get there in time. Say for example your with a Battalion. After you get your package together, it needs to to go the Battalion CO for an endorsement, then to the Regiment, then Division, before finally going to MCRC for the board. That takes lots of time. Once the MARADMIN comes out the endorsers will put out when they want to see the package. So if it is due 15 November, the division will want to see it by 15 October so they can read the package and put in their .02, and the Regiment will want to see it before 15 September, and the Battalion before that. If I remember correctly I had to have mine done before I think 10 July of the year I applied.

For Brovowisky:
You only have to go to a college with an NROTC if you are doing certain programs like MECEP or have a NROTC scholarship. If you just planning on doing something like PLC then you can go to whatever school you want. I'm not positive what the cutoff date is off the top of my head, but I'm sure if you looked at the Marine Corps website and pulled the MCO's or MARADMIN's, you'll find what your looking for. You should probally contact and OSO for those questions though, they'll be able to get you better info than me.

Cequel
02-18-09, 03:34 PM
It's amazing how long this topic has been going....let me continue it. I have approximately 3 years worth of college credits under my belt and am currently on Reserve Status with the 14th Marines in Richmond, Virginia. I'm interested to learn more about this "bulldog" commissioning process. Is it too late to apply and be accepted into the MECEP with only a year or so left of college? Any and all information you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

joseph61189
02-26-09, 07:38 PM
Is it still common for one to enlist in the Reserves and finish college then proceed to OCS? Trying to gather a list of questions to ask my recruiter tomorrow.

Blutic
02-26-09, 08:35 PM
Going into the reserves exposes you to the possibility of deployment before graduation. You'll probably need to miss a semster to get trained. I went to Parris Island in January and did not finish MCT and MOS school until July or August. Plus, the command may not release you to go to OCS. Better to graduate or try PLC if the goal is to be an Officer.

joseph61189
02-26-09, 09:06 PM
Going into the reserves exposes you to the possibility of deployment before graduation. You'll probably need to miss a semster to get trained. I went to Parris Island in January and did not finish MCT and MOS school until July or August. Plus, the command may not release you to go to OCS. Better to graduate or try PLC if the goal is to be an Officer.

Thank you, Capt.

jmcguiregc
02-28-09, 10:36 PM
Sirs, I'm curious - What percentage of applicants to OCS actually get accepted? (That is, non-prior college grads whose package actually makes it in front of a board). Thank you!

Blutic
02-28-09, 11:16 PM
Sorry, but I have no idea.

FromMD
03-01-09, 08:28 AM
Sirs, I'm curious - What percentage of applicants to OCS actually get accepted? (That is, non-prior college grads whose package actually makes it in front of a board). Thank you!

There are two options: OCC and PLC (well there is ROTC, MECEP and the academy too), OCC is for college grads only and PLC is for people still attending college. I want to say the split between the two is almost 50/50. If you get a firstclass PFT, have a fairly clean police record and solid GPA (2.0 is the minimum) you shouldn't have any issue being accepted. Though, there is always a possibility you are in a really competitive district so your OSO has higher standards for candidates.

alphamarine23
03-04-09, 09:56 AM
Sirs,
I'm currently a senior in high school that is enlisted and has a bootcamp date a month after graduation. I have applied for the NROTC Scholarship Marine Option and wanted to know how the announcing process goes? I've heard from my local recruiters that I should be hearing pretty soon on whether or not I recieve the scholarship and I was wondering if you knew maybe a specific day the announce it or in what order of states its done? I asked the Capt. who interviewed me and he didn't reply to my question so I assume that he must not be able to say anything which I understand. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Poolee Moura

DocGreek
03-05-09, 03:04 PM
OK, YOU NUMBNUTS!!! Here's a TRUE STORY! Best friend, Bruce Harris, from Naples Florida, got his A.A. Degree, same time as me....66'. He was offered OCS, Lt., AND Flight School....in the ARMY!!! WELL......GUESS WHAT?? My buddy became a Med-Evac Pilot!! He was shot down 3 TIMES, in 10 months!!! ARMY sent his AZZ HOME....TOO MUCH COMBAT!!! Came home, picked up a few things, and drove to West Texas, joined a Commune....and disappeared off the face of the Earth!

IF....YOU really want/need to be an officer, RESPONSIBILITY, is a BIG WORD.....YOU MUST GET ACQUAINTED WITH!!! Acceptance of that word, in the military, means life, and death....for your men!.....DOC

jmcguiregc
03-08-09, 12:18 AM
One more question, Sirs. Is it hard to get an age waiver if you're going to be 30 at the time of your commission? Many thanks.

Blutic
03-08-09, 08:26 AM
There were 3-4 in my OCS class with age waivers and that was during a time of peace, so I would not worry about it.

atgeorge84
03-08-09, 03:04 PM
Lt. Fairman -
I am joining the military, but currently am deciding if I should do army or marines. i've always wanted to be a marine, but i am currently in college and am needing help paying for it, and since the army has the most benefits because of their larger budget, that is looking tempting. I have recently been told though that I could do army reserves while in college and also do the marines plc program, and upon graduating with my degree I would switch over to the marines right away without having to finish my army reserves stint (depending on the fine lettering of my contract with the army of course). If you could verify this for me that would be great.

joseph61189
03-08-09, 10:59 PM
Lt. Fairman -
I am joining the military, but currently am deciding if I should do army or marines. i've always wanted to be a marine, but i am currently in college and am needing help paying for it, and since the army has the most benefits because of their larger budget, that is looking tempting. I have recently been told though that I could do army reserves while in college and also do the marines plc program, and upon graduating with my degree I would switch over to the marines right away without having to finish my army reserves stint (depending on the fine lettering of my contract with the army of course). If you could verify this for me that would be great.

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but I do know the Marines Officer Program offers some tuition help, however, by accepting the tuition assistance you are also agreeing to a 4 year contract once you finish your training and receive your degree. Also, please take the time to create your profile.

DIBLO7
03-08-09, 11:52 PM
Lt. Fairman -

Fill out your profile and you'll get some answers. Also, Marine is capitalized, read the rules of the site before you start asking questions.

jmcguiregc
03-09-09, 01:32 PM
Sirs, I was perusing some of the action pics on www.ocs.usmc.mil (http://www.ocs.usmc.mil) and was struck by how difficult some of the obstacles looked on the O Course and Confidence Course. Are candidates given technical instruction on how to negotiate the obstacles, or are they more or less left to figure it out on their own? Some of them looked dang hard!

Also, what one or two obstacles seem to give guys the most trouble? Or does it vary from candidate to candidate? Thank you for taking the time to answer all of these questions - this has been a very helpful thread!

OkieGrad
03-10-09, 04:52 AM
I have a question for the best suited:
I am in my final semester of graduate school (criminal justice) and decided that it was time to apply for OCS. I made contact with my local OSS and began the process.

However, when I processed through MEPS I was disqualified from Officer Programs because I admitted to regular (125 times) marijuana usage while in high school (over 8 years ago). I have not ever used any other drugs other than marijuana.

My question is: does anyone know of a similar situation being waived? My recruiter is adamant that a waiver is not possible because it is over the allowed 10-time usage waiverable limit. He recommends that I enlist and attempt to come through MECEP.

Who should I appeal to?

My info: Masters in CJ cumulative GPA 3.33-ASVAB Comp 85-I have over 2 years local law enforcement experience as well.

Thank you for your time.

DIBLO7
03-10-09, 10:15 AM
Sirs, I was perusing some of the action pics on www.ocs.usmc.mil (http://www.ocs.usmc.mil) and was struck by how difficult some of the obstacles looked on the O Course and Confidence Course. Are candidates given technical instruction on how to negotiate the obstacles, or are they more or less left to figure it out on their own? Some of them looked dang hard!

Also, what one or two obstacles seem to give guys the most trouble? Or does it vary from candidate to candidate? Thank you for taking the time to answer all of these questions - this has been a very helpful thread!

The obstacles are a lot easier than you think. For the O course you'll get instruction on how to cross it before you do it the first time. Since I haven't gone to OCS yet I'm not exactly positive how they instruct on the Confidence Course obstacles; however, if they are similar to the ones at enlisted boot camp, don't sweat them, it will be easy.

OkieGrad: Fill out your profile and you'll get some answers.

OkieGrad
03-10-09, 10:45 AM

Completed

FromMD
03-10-09, 07:24 PM
The obstacles are a lot easier than you think. For the O course you'll get instruction on how to cross it before you do it the first time. Since I haven't gone to OCS yet I'm not exactly positive how they instruct on the Confidence Course obstacles; however, if they are similar to the ones at enlisted boot camp, don't sweat them, it will be easy.

They give you instruction and a demonstration. If I recall correctly you run through it several times (the first at a walking pace) before being tested. So far I have encountered little in the Marine Corps that wasn't 'broken down Barney style."

DIBLO7
03-10-09, 09:36 PM
I have a question for the best suited:
I am in my final semester of graduate school (criminal justice) and decided that it was time to apply for OCS. I made contact with my local OSS and began the process.

However, when I processed through MEPS I was disqualified from Officer Programs because I admitted to regular (125 times) marijuana usage while in high school (over 8 years ago). I have not ever used any other drugs other than marijuana.

My question is: does anyone know of a similar situation being waived? My recruiter is adamant that a waiver is not possible because it is over the allowed 10-time usage waiverable limit. He recommends that I enlist and attempt to come through MECEP.

Who should I appeal to?

My info: Masters in CJ cumulative GPA 3.33-ASVAB Comp 85-I have over 2 years local law enforcement experience as well.

Thank you for your time.

First, I can't speak to the Officer programs regarding a drug use waiver. I know that on the enlisted side you could get the wavier to join, my recruiter buddy isn't sure about the Officers though.

If you do choose to go enlisted first and put in an Officer package the program that you'll want will not be MECEP. MECEP is for Marines who don't already have a degree. The program you'd want is called ECP or Enlisted Commissioning Program.

OkieGrad
03-10-09, 11:23 PM
First, I can't speak to the Officer programs regarding a drug use waiver. I know that on the enlisted side you could get the wavier to join, my recruiter buddy isn't sure about the Officers though.

If you do choose to go enlisted first and put in an Officer package the program that you'll want will not be MECEP. MECEP is for Marines who don't already have a degree. The program you'd want is called ECP or Enlisted Commissioning Program.

Thank you Sergeant.

Would your friend have a recommendation on where I can begin appealing my DQ from OCS? The MEPS doc (who DQ'd me) wrote on my paperwork that he recommends a waiver but this doesn't seem to make a difference.

The reason I am posting questions on here is because it seems that my OSS recruiter gave up and referred me on to a different enlisted recruiter. I do not feel that I have exhausted all my options for being able to prove that I am worthy of the opportunity to earn a commission in the Marine Corps.

Thanks again. I appreciate your time.

RODRIGUEZ213
03-18-09, 04:05 PM
Good afternoon Sirs,

I have my A.A. (need upper division courses to receive my B.S.), scored a 76 on ASVAB and signed up for MOS 06XX. I live in Los Angeles. Going in as a PFC. Just wanted to know (if I put my mind to it), how great are my chances to be selected for the MECEP program?

I know it also depends on "The Boss".

Thanks

xero3g
03-19-09, 04:28 AM
You might be able to fly. Like I say, look into the PRK. Even if you have to pay for it yourself, if you really yearn to fly its probably worth it.

So wait sir, if even if I have horrible vision, if it can be corrected, I still have a chance? Also, is it easier to get commissioned as an Officer starting off as enlisted, reservist, or civilian student?

Thank you for you time.

devildog85
03-23-09, 10:52 PM
Hi, I am currently a LCpl, and am really considering putting in a MECEP package. I know last year one lance got accepted, so I am very optimistic. I was wondering if any experienced MECEPers could give me any pointers to putting in a worthy package. I feel like my weekest point is my time in service. Today is actually my one year anniversary. Mustangs please help. Thank you for your time, concern, and duty to your country Marines.

mpellie
03-23-09, 11:57 PM
So I leave for boot in less than a month,I do have a BA and half of my MA,the reason I didnt apply for OCS is because i have a tattoo on my forearm which automatically DQ'd me for the program...So my question is after im enlisted,would a waiver be more likely for my tattoos?

Jscorn09
03-29-09, 05:54 PM
Hello Sir, my name is Joseph Corn and I'm leaving for Boot in a couple of months 18 years old. Im and Eagle Scout, got around 15 hrs college credit great physical condition. I recently posted this as a thread on ask a Marine but after looking at your thread I think you are the perfect person to ask. I would like to hear your opinion on my plan to eventually get into flight training. First, my MOS that I signed for was AJ (UAV Operator) for 5 years active 3 reserve (because of the training length). I plan on finishing a bachelors degree in this time period. Is this out of the question? I am very determined and focused so if it is up to me I will do it. however, I still worry that I will not have enough time to complete college in my first enlistment? Then afterwords I want to apply For OCC or OCS. I heard OCC is a guaranteed flight school rout. I like the idea of earning everything my self but getting a guarantee would be nice. Will I be able to get into OCC or is it only available to civilians? I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you!

yetiamchosen
06-02-09, 08:15 PM
Gentlemen,

This is my first post here. Many wonderful, informative posts on this thread. Thanks to all who have given information.

I am a Lance Corporal stationed in Camp Pendleton. I am a good performer, I scored a 98 on my AFQT, a 133 on my GT, and I have a 290 PFT score. I have 15 college credits. Is it possible for me to go to the naval academy? My enlisted contract doesn't expire until 20130608, and I just turned 22 two weeks ago. I've done much research into MECEP and have my sights set firmly on becoming a Marine Corps Aviator, but before I press onwards I'd like to know if it's even feasible for me to attend the naval academy in Annapolis.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Respectfully,
-LCpl L

Wyoming
06-02-09, 08:21 PM
So I leave for boot in less than a month,I do have a BA and half of my MA,the reason I didnt apply for OCS is because i have a tattoo on my forearm which automatically DQ'd me for the program...So my question is after im enlisted,would a waiver be more likely for my tattoos?

Not likely!

You got a bit of work to do however -
Occupation Gym rat Interests Running,wieght lifting, reading

JasonFMX
06-03-09, 12:24 AM
I have some questions myself. I think I know the answers to these but it doesn't hurt to ask.

My little background story real quick. I wanted to be a Marine very badly, so I joined up. Went right through MEPS without so much as a hiccup. Memorized the entire handbook they gave you with all Marine Corps history, Hymm, ranks, general orders, etc. Had it down, no problems. Pull ups were 27, crunches were around 85 in two minutes and my 1.5 mile run was 9:40. I don't remember what my ASVAB was at the time becuase I took it like 12 years ago...but it was good enough to get an intelligence MOS. I know thats on the upper end of the scale. I just took the ************* test ASVAB and scored a 125 on my QT, I know I could of gotten more questions right, but there were a few questions that had very close answers. Like they had two right answers, but you had to pick the one that were most right. Anyway, I was cocked, locked, and ready to get some. I joined the DEP in November of 1998, and on June 12th, 1999, exactly 1 month before I was to ship out I got into a motorcycle accident. Needless to say I was relived of my obligation because I had alot of screws in my bones, and that made me PDQ.

OK, now we're in the present, that makes me have 2 questions. One serious and one just to satisfy curiousity.

1. When going to be an officer, do you have to still go through MEPS the same way? If so then I'm still SOL. In some way shape or form, even though I'm PDQ I've never fully given up on getting back in somehow. Probably will never happen, but I know I never will if I quit trying.

2. What is OCS like, .. as in... how do I say this... Even those of us that have never been to enlisted boot camp can get a vauge picture of what its like through stories from those that have been there and from all the media coverage. Well,...is OCS like that, only for officers? I know its more demanding because your going to be a leader of Marines, but do they still cart you in on a bus in the middle of the night and make you stand on yellow footprints? Do you still get that same "shock treatment"?

As far as my current status is concerned, I have also accumulated...68 credits I believe in college. I currently have an associates degree. I haven't upgraded to the 4 year degree because of how much college is nowadays. Its unreal, and it goes up every semester. And number 2, because I didn't have a direct need to justify the costs of borrowing all of that money for a job I was going to get. I would like to finish to the 4 year degree and being an officer would most certinly be justification in that.

Anyways, sorry for the long post.

Former Polee,
Jason

JasonFMX
06-03-09, 12:32 AM
My apologies for the typos. I hope that was understandable. I was trying to do several things at once and now I can't edit it.

Blutic
06-03-09, 08:16 AM
Each year the Secretary of the Navy may nominate for admission to the Naval Academy 85 active-duty Navy and Marine Corps enlisted personnel and 85 Navy and Marine Corps Reserve personnel either on active duty or assigned to a drill unit.
Qualified candidates are appointed to the Academy as midshipmen and receive monthly pay of approximately $500, plus tuition, room and board.
Naval Academy applicants must be:
a U.S. citizen. at least 17 years old and not yet 23 years old on July 1 of the year of admission. unmarried, not pregnant and have no legal obligation to support a child or other individual.
of good moral character.
scholastically, medically, and physically fit.
Active-duty personnel must have an active-duty pay entry base date (PEBD) one year prior to July 1 of the admission year. Reservists on active duty or assigned to a unit must have a PEBD one year prior to July 1 of the admission year.

JasonFMX
06-03-09, 01:37 PM
Thank you for your time Captain.

I guess that means I'm SOL then. (if that reply was meant in response to my post) However, are those same qualifications in application the same to the other officer programs, such as PLC or OCC?

Blutic
06-03-09, 01:58 PM
My last post was for someone else. To do PLC or OCS you need a BS or BA (4 year college degree). If you are healed up and can do the PT, you'll likely pass the physical. OCS is very differnt than boot camp. You don't stand on the yellow prints, they don't really yell so much, send you to the pit or quarterdeck, etc. If you mess up, you'll be writing essays instead of sleeping. I did both Parris Island and OCS in 1995 and would rather do PI again.

JasonFMX
06-03-09, 02:56 PM
Fantastic, perhaps I should contact my local OSO.

Sorry for the confusion there, but your information was helpful anyway. Looks like the Naval Academy is right out for me. I'm way off on the age, and I'm married. Plus, I don't really fancy starting back and square one in academia when I'm over halfway to my goal already (which I'm sure they would have you do).

Thanks again, Captain.

JasonFMX
06-04-09, 03:29 PM
Just a little update for anyone that might possibly be in a relative situation to my own. I spent hours on the internet last night looking at different OSO's web pages as well as the Marine's new officer page (they just recently updated it) and from what I've seen you still have to go through the whole MEPS deal. It seems no matter what branch you join (Army, Navy, Marine Corp, Air Force, and Coast Guard in officer, warrant officer, and enlisted) you have to go through the same MEPS ordeal. I haven't had confirmation on whether they examine you the same way or not but I can't imagine they have a special officers examination and an enlisted one. From being there twice already they seemed to just push us all through the same way through the same stations with the same examinations.

Even though I'm healed up and can PT with the best of them still the fact of having surgical implants in the form of screws and other various stainless steel parts diqalifies me. And when I would go in to do the "underwear olympics" being stripped down to skivvies the docs would notice the scars all over my body. I would be red flagged in no time. I have three main surgical scars, a big one down the top of my forarm, down the side of my leg and on my knee. Some on my face from more motorcycle injuries where I put my lower row of teeth out through my face, more scars on my left arm from a dog attack. Those things wouldn't be disqualifying but I would be grilled about them. I would definately be noticed, Im saying.

I take it from the lack of response by local OSO that the feeling must be shared, I can't say I blame them. Rules are in place for a reason. I tried to go back and get in so in so many times over the past decade they probably wrote my name down on a piece of paper and left it in the desk draw for each new officer saying "Do not let this person in the front door, ignore all phone calls and e-mails" :)

Oh well, I'm still not going to give up. I want to talk to a doctor about this if possible, a medical expert serving in the military or federal government and see what they see if there is some sort of special examination I can get proving my abilites, waviers, etc.

Thanks anyway Captain Hill (Blutic)

rickthebrowning
06-07-09, 01:38 PM
This is directed at any officer who went to AAV school:

I've been looking for a while on the internet, and since my OSO won't respond to me quickly enough I was curious if anyone here had any information they could share about AAV Officer's Course. Through some digging I found the training battalion's website, which isn't up to date and isn't completely filled out. I figured out it's roughly 3 months long, but that's about it.

So if anyone could assist me in gathering some information about the training schedule and the stuff other various information I'd appreciate it.

DIUSMC
06-18-09, 02:41 PM
Good afternoon Sir. Congratulations and I wish you the best in your Marine career. I look forward to reading about the advances you experience in your training. Good luck, and Semper Fi Sir.

tmwilson87
06-23-09, 05:17 AM
Hello,
New member with a question if you've got the time.

I'm currently doing my Junior year of college studies in Japan so I don't have such ready access to recruiters, so this is probably a fairly simple question. I am planning on joining the Marines after graduating from 4 years of college[good grades, B's or higher] but I am slightly confused from all the various readings I have come across on the internet regarding OCS and MOS options.

I want to serve in MOS 0300 level, Infantry, but I have heard that the officer path pretty much takes away your ability to chose an MOS for yourself. I've also heard that NO Marine is guaranteed their MOS, so my question is, specific to the Officer path, is the ability to chose MOS less open than regular enlisted?

If becoming an officer will limit/remove my chances of serving in the infantry then perhaps going the enlisted route[and receiving the Pvt1st class rank for having gone to College] is the better option?

Thanks for your time, and thanks for making this thread. I had a long post written up for "Ask a Marine" complete with more of my background, but then found this upon searching. I'd be happy to include any more information I can to you, but as I said, my availability to recruiters for the next month[until July 20th] is next to zero, until I return from Japan.

tmwilson87
06-23-09, 05:56 AM
*edit*

I'm sorry, I need to clarify a bit. I am a legal US resident and attending school in the United States, but I am ONLY doing my Junior year in Japan.

I reread that and worried some might think I was a Japanese student... this is not the case. I will graduate from a 4-year United States college.

Thank you,
Thomas Wilson

Blutic
06-23-09, 07:11 AM
I was prior enlisted. I would not say being an officer is better than being enlisted, just different with certain advantages and disadvantages. Marine Officers consider their jobs to be leaders of Marines. Not Infantry Officer, Supply Officer, etc. You need to have the attitude that you want to lead Marines regardless of what MOS you get. However, you do have choices and may get your top pick. It's a lot harder to be an officer and you def have more responsiblity and input. If you qualify and think you can handle it, I'd recommend going to OCS.

tmwilson87
06-23-09, 07:32 AM
I was prior enlisted. I would not say being an officer is better than being enlisted, just different with certain advantages and disadvantages. Marine Officers consider their jobs to be leaders of Marines. Not Infantry Officer, Supply Officer, etc. You need to have the attitude that you want to lead Marines regardless of what MOS you get. However, you do have choices and may get your top pick. It's a lot harder to be an officer and you def have more responsiblity and input. If you qualify and think you can handle it, I'd recommend going to OCS.

Thank you for the fast and helpful response. I agree that I really need to think it out and talk with a recruiter before following through.

Am I correct in my understanding that upon graduating from a 4-year college, but having taken no OCC/PLC type programs, that my best option is to do the Enlisted Commissioning Program [ECP]? Which means that I should mention to my recruiter that I wish to be considered for OCS and then simply go enlisted[but with the desire for OCS written in my...contract?]

Simple questions, I'm sure, but I trust this forum far more than the conflicting information that pervades the internet. ;)

And not to give the air that I expect failure in any way[I have the courage, the drive, and the dedication to accomplish what I set out to do] but what happens if you do not pass OCS? Do you simply get put back into your enlisted area/MOS?

Thank you, again
Thomas Wilson

Blutic
06-23-09, 08:29 AM
If you are too far along in college to do the PLC program, all you have to do is contact an Officer Selection Officer and submit a package for OCS. Candidates don't fail out of OCS. They either quit or get hurt bad enough to be dropped. If you get hurt, you can always go back and try again. If you get dropped or quit, you can always enlist. In my class, a couple candidates went all the way through and did not accept the commision and went home.

Blutic
06-23-09, 08:36 AM
Commissioning programs: Marine Corps

The Marine Corps’ regular enlisted to officer commissioning programs:
Enlisted Commissioning Program

Leathernecks ages 21-30 on active duty or in the Active Reserve “who have demonstrated exceptional leadership potential” may qualify for a commission through the Enlisted Commissioning Program, according to Marine Corps Recruiting Command. Candidates must meet eligibility requirements listed in Marine Corps Order 1040.43A; requirements include having a bachelor’s degree and being a U.S. citizen “of officer caliber.”
Selected Marines will receive assignment to Officer Candidates School and subsequent commissioning in the Marine Corps Reserve.
Meritorious Commissioning Program

Leathernecks ages 21-30 with at least 75 semester hours of college coursework and an acceptance letter from a college with a Naval Reserve Officer’s Training Corps program may be eligible for the Meritorious Commissioning Program. Enlisted Marines considered for the program must be able to complete their bachelor’s degree within 18 months. Marine Corps Order 1040.43A and Marine Administrative message 278/02 list eligibility requirements and the application process.
Selected Marines will receive assignment to Officer Candidates School and subsequent commissioning in the Marine Corps Reserve.
Reserve Enlisted Commissioning Program

Leathernecks ages 21-33 with a bachelor’s degree serving in the Selected Marine Corps Reserve may apply for the Reserve Enlisted Commissioning Program. Marine Corps Order 1040R.10L includes eligibility requirements and the application process.
Selected Marines will receive assignment to Officer Candidates School and subsequent appointment to unrestricted commissioned officer grade in the Marine Corps Reserve.
Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program

The Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program is “designed to provide outstanding enlisted Marines the opportunity to become Marine Corps officers,” according to Marine Corps Recruiting Command. Leathernecks ages 20-26 serving on active duty or in the Active Reserve may apply for the program. Eligibility criteria and information on the application process for the program is listed in Marine Corps Order 1560.15L.
Upon completion, Marines in the program will receive a bachelor’s degree and a commission as a second lieutenant in the Reserve.
Broadened Opportunity for Officer Selection and Training

Enlisted Marines ages 19-25 on active duty and in the Active Reserve may qualify for the Broadened Opportunity for Officer Selection and Training program, a 10-month academic improvement course that includes remedial high school and college prep instruction. BOOST is designed to provide “education enhancement” for enlisted Marines seeking a college education and a commissioning program — including the Naval Academy, MECEP and the Marine-option NROTC scholarship program. Eligibility is listed in Marine Corps Order 1560.24D.
Warrant Officer (regular, Reserve, gunner and recruiter)

Marines ranked sergeant or above and considered technical experts in their military occupational specialty may qualify for the Warrant Officer Program. Candidates with at least eight years of active naval service and no criminal offenses must be recommended by their commanding officer for appointment to warrant officer on active duty or in the Active Reserve. The program requires additional service and rank minimums for Marine gunner and career recruiter. Marine Corps Order 1040.42A includes eligibility requirements and application procedures.
Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps

The Marine Option Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps’ four-year scholarship program educates and trains candidates for careers as commissioned officers.
Each Marine Corps Recruiting District screens and selects applicants for the program. Selected candidates receive full tuition, books, fees and a monthly stipend at a college or university that hosts the program.
Upon graduation and successful completion of required training, a midshipman is appointed a second lieutenant.
Enlisted Marines compete with civilians for selection for the program. While attending a university as a scholarship student, active-duty Marines selected as scholarship recipients are released to the Individual Ready Reserve and do not receive pay and allowances.
https://www.mcrc.usmc.mil/ (https://www.mcrc.usmc.mil/)• Naval Academy/Naval Academy Prep School
Active-duty and Active Reserve leathernecks may apply for nomination and appointment to the Naval Academy. Candidates must be single and 17-23 years old. Naval Academy Preparatory School accepts Naval Academy applicants who “could profit from an additional year of academic preparation,” according to the USNA Admissions Board. Marine Corps Order 1530.11G includes eligibility requirements.

tmwilson87
06-23-09, 09:23 AM
I appreciate the info, thank you for taking the time to look that up for me. Now when I get back to the States in a month, I can go to my recruiter and understand my options a bit more before we start talking.

Cheers

Blutic
06-23-09, 09:26 AM
If you want to be an officer or get info about being an officer, you need to find an Officer Selection Officer. Recruiters will try to talk you into going enlisted. They tell you things like officers only do desk work, etc.

tmwilson87
06-23-09, 09:33 AM
If you want to be an officer or get info about being an officer, you need to find an Officer Selection Officer. Recruiters will try to talk you into going enlisted. They tell you things like officers only do desk work, etc.

Hah, right. Sorry, bad terminology on my part. I plan on going to both an Officer Selection Officer and a Recruiter and keeping an open unbiased mind when talking to both. :thumbup:

DIUSMC
06-23-09, 09:38 AM
Hey Skipper, thanks for posting this information. My son has begun the application process for OCS having just graduated. I'll be sure that he hooks himself into this website and follows along with the great intel Marines like yourself post here. Good luck to you Sir,Semper Fi.

Blutic
06-23-09, 09:41 AM
The best advice I can give him - be able to MAX the pft. Being a fast runner was probably the most important thing in OCS.

CBRN5711Tech
07-03-09, 05:11 PM
I have a question and I didn't feel like starting a new thread. I want to apply for MECEP. I looked at all the qualifications and I have them all but I am not sure who I would talk to in my unit to put in my application package and answer all of my questions. No one in my shop knew anything about it. Can anyone help me out?

DIBLO7
07-03-09, 08:02 PM
Yeah, what do you need to know? Your S-1 should be able to help you put your package together. When you looked at the qualifications, did you look at both the MARADMIN and the MCO? I have seen lots of confusion when Marines look at one and not the other.

CBRN5711Tech
07-03-09, 09:55 PM
Thanks, I've read them both. I have a few questions like, what determines what job you get? If you got accepted and finished school could you become a military lawyer later on in your career? When would you start school after you get accepted?

flyby
07-04-09, 01:57 AM
Looking for direction; I am PS AD & former Guard. I have read and heard that it is very, very difficult to get back into the Reserves as PS. I have talked to two PSRs and they were both indifferent to say the least. Per the OSO I am still under the max constructive age for OCS. Would I even be considered by the board for OCS or should I just concentrate on the Enlisted Reserves? Thanks!
-Christopher

DIBLO7
07-04-09, 10:18 AM
CBRN5711 - You'll figure out your job just like any other officer, at TBS. That will be based off of class standing and the 3 tier system that they use. In the MECEP program you cannot become a lawyer because you are only allowed to get a 4 year degree; however, if you get a JD on your own time, there might be a way to do it, I just dont know how. The order specifies that you can only persue a 4 year degree.

As for when you would start school, the acceptance MARADMIN comes out sometime in the fall or winter if I remember correctly. You then will have until around April to send a letter to HQMC saying what school you were "unconditionally accepted" to go to. After that sometime in the spring/early summer you'll get orders sent to you ordering you to report to that school before the following fall sememster, or if you didnt get it waived, MECEP prep at Quantico, VA for most of that summer before school starts.

JTB7
07-14-09, 12:42 PM
Hello Marines,

I am applying for an NROTC -Marine Option scholarship and I have a few questions.

Is there a way to get an aviation contract through NROTC? I have read through this thread and it seems NROTC is the only commissioning program that you have to select aviation out of TBS. And a former Marine Officer told me aviation and infantry out of TBS are the hardest to get.

Because of this, I want to do PLC and NROTC. I realize with the scholarship I have to attend summer cruises so my thoughts are to do NROTC without a scholarship to prepare myself for PLC, do PLC 1st summer, NROTC sophmore year then PLC again the 2nd summer. Can I then do the Bulldog OCS course the following NROTC 3rd summer and still keep my aviation contract?

Keep in mind I am not the 'I just want to fly type'. If I was I would just join the Chair Force. I want to support the Marines on the ground and serve as a FAC as a b billet later.

JTB7
07-14-09, 01:26 PM
I cant seem to edit my post but I found this:
http://www.tbs.usmc.mil/All_MOS_Assignment_Process.asp

One out of 152 Marines got 7599-Naval Aviator.

Very, very competitive out of TBS..

Blutic
07-15-09, 05:40 PM
Lawyers and pilots always have guaranteed contracts. You don't have to worry about getting a flight contract at TBS.

iPOOLEE
07-21-09, 12:38 AM
Hey I was hoping to become a Pilot as well right now I have already enlisted and am going to bootcamp in about 2 weeks and I wanna get my degree while I'm enlisted and so far I know you have to have a 4yr degree does it matter if its online or does it have to be campus? and is there some sort of program to help me while I'm enlisted

marine95
07-21-09, 02:02 AM
That's good to go. While in Okinawa I was a SWET instructor. (Shallow Water Egress Training) It's the kiddie pool version of the helo dunker. I basicly taught Marines how to use the HABS bottle. It was a great job.

snguyenlieu
07-21-09, 07:42 PM
Lt. Fairman and everyone else that's contributed to this topic so far, thank you very much! I've always wanted to join the Marines but felt the need to get a college degree. All the info you've provided has helped me decide exactly what I'm going to do.

I have 2 years left to go in undergrad and then I will be applying for law school. I'm hoping to get started on the PLC as soon as possible and then get commissioned as soon as I'm done with law school. I've contacted my local OSO and am waiting for her response. Again, thank you for all the information sir(s). I will be returning to this forum frequently to stay up to date and gain any new insights that you might provide.

- Stephanie

snguyenlieu
08-11-09, 11:50 AM
Scratch that. Not going to apply to law school anymore. I'm currently talking to my local OSO and applying to OCS ground.

reload0024
10-14-09, 07:21 PM
Hello Sir.

I have been talking to my OSO via e-mail for the past couple weeks.
I did the pre screen before meeting with him, and I did have a red flag in the medical history that would require a waiver.

Since then he hasn't been too responsive. He last left me with I do not want to waste your time, so I will get back to you when I find out more information.

He hasn't said I do not qualify sorry, so I am guessing he sent this information to MEPS doctors?

I have been e-mailing him with more accurate and specific information including the actual medical records but haven't received a response.

I am guessing that either MEPS said no, or he is still waiting.

My question to you is do you think it would be rude for me to go down to the OSS in person? Or should I wait until he responds back. He said to fill out the pre form before coming down, and hasn't asked me to come down at all so I don't want to be a bother to him.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Respectfully,
Nate

Blutic
10-14-09, 10:29 PM
He's probably waiting on someone somewhere to get back to him about the issue. It wouldn't hurt to go in, in person, or to call once a week or so. You really don't have anything to lose by doing that. The medical requirements for officer seem to be more strict. I was subjected to more testing when I put my officer package in.

Petz
10-14-09, 11:02 PM
Sir, your statement about recruiters just trying to get people who come to us for Officer routes to go Enlisted is bogus. Myself and a Recruiter both referred a guy the other day to the OSO and have told those who have degrees they should go Officer simply due to the retirement pay alone. We get a few of them say they want enlisted so then we deal with it then.

as for the OSO not calling him back, well; We ARE over populated in both the Officer and Enlisted ranks, and he's probably got lots of qualified applicants ready to go. He's probably putting him off as an alternate if he needs him.

If it's really something you want then I'd say stand by and wait. pop in on the OSO ever so often as the Capt suggested but don't expect your messages to be returned unless he's got news for you. And don't hang out at the office after you checked in with him, it'll only annoy him.

Empyrean
10-15-09, 02:20 PM
Marines and Marine Officers,
First, thank you for helping all of us with this thread, it is very informative and helpful to many of us.
I have looked at the different Officer programs that the Marines here have written about, but I am still a little hazy about some things.
I am in the DEP at the moment, leaving for basic 16 Nov. The MOS my recruiter and I have decided on is Cryptologic Linguist which awards an Associates after language training and outside General Education credits. I shall be turning 25 yo in basic.
I have not spoken to an OSO, but would like the opinions of the Marines here as to which Officer program might best suit me.
Thank you sirs,
S.O'Brien

Lisa 23
10-15-09, 02:36 PM
Empyrean, the Marine Corps has "boot camp", "OCS" (Officers Candidate School) and "TBS" (The Basic School), not basic training. That's the Army.

Empyrean
10-15-09, 03:16 PM
I apologize.
Would the correct technical term simply be Recruit Training?

I had believed that the training Marines received at MCRD could be termed "basic" training based on the banner at the top of the MCRD San Diego website (http://www.mcrdsd.usmc.mil/) in which it states: "To recruit, train and support the making of the highest quality basic U.S. Marine." That is to say that it seemed to me that MCRD provided the most basic training for a recruit, and as such could be called Basic Recruit Training.
I meant no offense and hope you realize it was an error based on inexperience, and I thank you for correcting it.

As an aside, I was curious about the dates you entered and exited the Marine Corps, 1988-1989. May I ask why one year?

Thank you Ma'am
S.O'Brien

Lisa 23
10-15-09, 03:18 PM
Trust me, it's Marine Corps "boot camp."
And a PM has been sent to you.

Petz
10-15-09, 10:38 PM
I apologize.
Would the correct technical term simply be Recruit Training?

I had believed that the training Marines received at MCRD could be termed "basic" training based on the banner at the top of the MCRD San Diego website (http://www.mcrdsd.usmc.mil/) in which it states: "To recruit, train and support the making of the highest quality basic U.S. Marine." That is to say that it seemed to me that MCRD provided the most basic training for a recruit, and as such could be called Basic Recruit Training.
I meant no offense and hope you realize it was an error based on inexperience, and I thank you for correcting it.

As an aside, I was curious about the dates you entered and exited the Marine Corps, 1988-1989. May I ask why one year?

Thank you Ma'am
S.O'Brien

Don't over analyze stuff, not only does it come off smug and make me want to smack you but you just wasted everyones time by subjecting us to reading essentially a "talk back" where you still feel you're correct in the end yet think you played it off politically enough to not get in trouble.

All I can say if your DI's will have fuuuun with you.

Empyrean
10-15-09, 11:47 PM
I was wrong.
I was asking for clarifaction, which I also did in a PM to LASWMarine. I had used the wrong word in my original post.
The message was not meant to be smug. I tried to illustrate why I thought the way I did. I will use the correct term now and thanked LASWMarine for helping me. I am sorry if I have further offended anyone, I was simply trying to ask for information in the most polite way that I know. I still hope that someone can answer my initial question.
I realize this will probably be said to be a good idea, but I am just going to shut up now.
Thank you Marines
S.O'Brien

Petz
10-17-09, 07:53 AM
and all we really wanted was "Roger, Shutting my trap."

being concise is ALWAYS better than giving too much info away. Only give away info that is asked for. The more you spout the more you could get yourself into trouble and have to backpedal.

MSSlaughter
10-20-09, 02:16 PM
Empyrean,

You seem smart. There's nothing wrong with that, but understand that your excuses and explanations will NEVER work. Accept corrections given to you...alter your manner of thinking or reacting...and move on.

That said, to answer your original question, there really isn't a BEST route for you to go. Check out https://www.marines.usmc.mil/G3/Officer/enlistedOfficer.htm to see the various enlsited to officer programs and their most up to date info. If you plan on applying your credits earned through the Defense Language Institute (your MOS school as a crypto-linguist) toward any sort of degree, understand that MCP requires 75 credit hours of actual course work. MOS schools aren't actual course work. You need hours from an accredited college or university.

However, you're going to have a solid year and a half or more of initial training (Boot Camp, MCT, MOS School) and then you'll need to establish yourself at your first permanent duty station before you can even think about an officer program. So, by all means keep it in the back of your mind and gather as much info as you can, but do not under any circumstances focus completely on becoming an officer yet. If you look too far to the future, you'll have no idea what is going on around you...and you will not excel. In order to go from enlisted to officer, you need to excel, acceptable is not nearly acceptable...if that makes sense.

DIUSMC
10-20-09, 02:37 PM
I wanted to get in here seeing that you are about 3 weeks from beginning Recruit Training. Having done three tours of duty as a Drill Instructor I feel it my right to say this. This posting site may be nice and informative but it doesn't say a damn thing. Know this. You are about to embark on the hardest thing known to mankind. If you are able to come out of it on the "other side" your life will be forever changed. I hope that you can put all of the 'verbage' away for the three months you are training and learn to live very quietly. You question nothing and do everything. I wish you the best, but have my doubts by the posts I have read. Good luck

DIUSMC
10-20-09, 02:41 PM
LASWMarine;
Thank you. That is one of THE best quotations I have ever read. I have been around to read quite a few too. Thank you for your service, Semper Fi.

Empyrean
10-20-09, 02:52 PM
Staff Sergeant Slaughter,
Thank you very much for the information! All of it was very helpful, ecspecially the website. I was trying to gauge how realistic it would be for me to move from enlisted to officer later on, if I had the desire. I hadn't realized MOS school didn't count towards MCP, so that's a little disappointing, but better to know sooner than later.
Thank you once again sir
S.O'Brien

Lisa 23
10-20-09, 04:03 PM
MGySgt...Thank You for your service also! :evilgrin:
My brother, a retired Marine GySgt, was also a Drill Instructor too. So.......many Thanks to you for having what it takes to train Marines. Ooh-Rah! :usmc:
As for my quote...just something I came up with. I got tired of Poolees, wannabes and Marine Friends not saying Thank You the proper way to the Marines on this site who would take the time to answer their questions.
Semper Fi! :flag:

DIUSMC
10-20-09, 04:41 PM
I considered it the most fun possible to train recruits the first time around, a challenge to train them as a Senior Drill Instuctor the second time, and then as an instructor at Drill Instructor School the most incredible experience.
I appreciate the fact that you take the time to "instruct" the soon to be's on the finer aspects of respect BEFORE the arrival. I wish you well.

Lisa 23
10-20-09, 04:49 PM
Thank You MGySgt...and I wish you well also!

Semper Fi! :usmc:

Blutic
10-20-09, 07:23 PM
To Emp

I think the best way to become an officer is either attend the Naval Academy or go to college and do the PLC program. Next best is to graduate and go to OCS. NA and PLC nets you more money in the long run. Another option is to enlist in the Reserves and hope you can complete your degree before being deployed and then go to OCS. Your unit doesn't have to let you go if you get accepted. However, mine did. The last option I'd recommend is to enlist active duty and then try to get into an officer program like MCEP or ECP (if they still have those). I had a few Marines get accepted but it was difficult.

DIUSMC
10-21-09, 08:54 AM
Sometime I read things that just **** me off so much that I cannot and will not keep my mouth shut. I personally could care less now after spending 30 years wearing the Uniform and making less $ than mosy folks in the civilian sector and doing much more by accident than most folks do on purpose who I happen to **** off and what rank that person may be. If ANYONE ever decides to make the attempt to become a Marine and has to figure out the best way to make more money Please, I beg of you. DO NOT sign the paperwork ! Do yourself and every other Marine that went before you for the last 234 years a favor and DO SOMETHING ELSE! ANYTHING ELSE, ANY PLACE ELSE! The Marine Corps does not need you in it's ranks. Do you want the RESPECT of the troops that you will eventually lead? Here is your route, plain and simple. Begin as an enlisted Marine. Prove yourself worthy to wear the rank of an Officer whose main concern is the safety of his Marines, not the pay check. Or better yet, embark on the track of a Warrant officer. THE most respected Officer in the entire Marine Corps. Enough said, carry on!!

Geagle05
10-27-09, 02:36 AM
I recently graduated OCS through the 10 wk program this past summer of 2009. It was an experience I'll never forget. Since this site was the first resource I ever went to while learning about the Marines, I'd like to give back and offer any knowledge that prospective candidates might have regarding OCS. Good luck to those considering the Corps. It is a tough road to pass training, whether officer or enlisted, but it is well worth it. S/F

PS Feel free to PM me any questions.

Petz
10-27-09, 07:45 AM
contact thedrifter and have her change your profile status to Marine if you've been commissioned already.

Geagle05
10-27-09, 04:14 PM
contact thedrifter and have her change your profile status to Marine if you've been commissioned already.

Roger that SSgt. Already messaged thedrifter, but I do not commission until completion of school this Dec. Just thought I could be of help to the prospective candidates as I am still fresh from the training pipeline.

R/s

UMDStudent24
10-28-09, 01:29 PM
Same as Geagles, was at OCS for 10 weeks this past summer. I'm also willing to answer any questions prospective candidates have.

UMDStudent24
10-28-09, 01:34 PM
Hey Skipper, thanks for posting this information. My son has begun the application process for OCS having just graduated. I'll be sure that he hooks himself into this website and follows along with the great intel Marines like yourself post here. Good luck to you Sir,Semper Fi.

Good luck to you and your son Master Gunnery Sergeant.
Respectfully, thank you for everything you've done.
I never realized how much Drill Instructors have to give up to do that job until after my sister went to Parris Island and I got through OCS. It requires an incredible sacrifice and I thank you for making that sacrifice to shape the future of the Marine Corps.

xxxhero
11-03-09, 08:56 PM
I want to be a officer but I want to go to the Naval Academy. If I enlist in the MARINES first and then get into the Academy, will I automatically come out a MARINE officer.

Geagle05
11-03-09, 09:37 PM
I want to be a officer but I want to go to the Naval Academy. If I enlist in the MARINES first and then get into the Academy, will I automatically come out a MARINE officer.

I'm not exactly positive how it works if you go into the Academy as a prior, but only a minority commission as Marine officers upon graduation from the Naval Academy. Let me ask you, does it matter if you go into the academy? Would you still want to be a Marine officer if you don't?

Isrowei
11-04-09, 07:36 AM

No, all Naval Academy midshipmen who desire to become Marine Officers must compete for selection. This includes prior enlisted Marines.

Petz
11-04-09, 08:41 AM
Hey sir, how's it going. Semper sneak back.

Isrowei
11-04-09, 09:07 AM
I'm just popping in for a quick look around. Still not going to be active, but thanks for the note. I've missed all you rabble rousers. Still monitering the e-mail so if you need me, you know where to get me.

Semper.

xxxhero
11-04-09, 10:14 AM
I'm not exactly positive how it works if you go into the Academy as a prior, but only a minority commission as Marine officers upon graduation from the Naval Academy. Let me ask you, does it matter if you go into the academy? Would you still want to be a Marine officer if you don't?

Yes I would and I know all the other way, but I would perfer going though the Academy. NROTC would be second.

xxxhero
11-04-09, 10:15 AM
No, all Naval Academy midshipmen who desire to become Marine Officers must compete for selection. This includes prior enlisted Marines.

So if I did not make the selection I would automatically switch branches to the Navy.

Isrowei
11-04-09, 10:39 AM
You &quot;switch branches&quot; upon entry into the Academy. You receive a DD-214 (discharge from Active Duty) when you report to USNA for induction as a midshipman. You are an active-duty midshipman in the...

xxxhero
11-04-09, 10:43 AM
Well I am already enlisted and just looking around

Lisa 23
11-04-09, 10:50 AM
Well I am already enlisted and just looking around
You're not an enlisted Marine, you are in the DEP. That doesn't automatically make you a Marine. Going thru 13 weeks of boot camp to EARN the title, and then graduating makes you a Marine. There is a difference.

Lisa 23
11-04-09, 10:51 AM
I'm just popping in for a quick look around. Still not going to be active, but thanks for the note. I've missed all you rabble rousers. Still monitering the e-mail so if you need me, you know where to get me.

Semper.

Nice to see you here again Sir...:thumbup:....even if it's only for a quick look around.

Semper Fi! :usmc:

xxxhero
11-04-09, 10:52 AM
Oh yeah Thank you for reminding me. but i am about to go the way of enliting first

NSCCShipmate
11-08-09, 07:15 AM
Thanks, Lieutenant. I was wondering, what does it take to become and infantry officer? I've heard that there are a certain amount of billets to become and infantry officer and I want to know how to get one of those billets. And if it's not too much trouble, sir, I want to fully understand what infantry officers do in their work. Thank you, sir.

Lisa 23
11-08-09, 12:30 PM
Thanks, Lieutenant. I was wondering, what does it take to become and infantry officer? I've heard that there are a certain amount of billets to become and infantry officer and I want to know how to get one of those billets. And if it's not too much trouble, sir, I want to fully understand what infantry officers do in their work. Thank you, sir.
Just curious...who are you calling Lieutenant?

NSCCShipmate
11-08-09, 04:56 PM
Just curious...who are you calling Lieutenant?
The guy who started this thread.

DIUSMC
11-09-09, 08:51 AM
I believe that the hard charger is simply stating that he &quot;has enlisted&quot;. I see no reason to quarter-deck the lad. I hope that his recruiter has cleared up any reference to him and Marine. By the...

Waycoolrob
11-11-09, 09:56 PM
Well I posted this question before but apearantly I posted it in the wrong spot. So here we go again. To Those who posted on the other section Thanks.....
I am actually asking a question pertaining to my son. he is a high school senior going to college next year and interested in getting a commission via PLC. The recruiter he spoke with advised him he has to join the reserves first to be eligble for PLC. Is this the case? he was also told he would be non deployable while in the reserves, that his "job" is to go to college but will still be required to all drill days. So what do you think. Is this a fact or could we have possible heard him wrong. I would hate to think he was less than honest. Thanks Rob

Geagle05
11-11-09, 10:05 PM
Well I posted this question before but apearantly I posted it in the wrong spot. So here we go again. To Those who posted on the other section Thanks.....
I am actually asking a question pertaining to my son. he is a high school senior going to college next year and interested in getting a commission via PLC. The recruiter he spoke with advised him he has to join the reserves first to be eligble for PLC. Is this the case? he was also told he would be non deployable while in the reserves, that his "job" is to go to college but will still be required to all drill days. So what do you think. Is this a fact or could we have possible heard him wrong. I would hate to think he was less than honest. Thanks Rob

No, this is not correct. You do not need to be in the reserves to be qualified for PLC. Upon going to college, your son would do PLC-Jrs in the summer afterwards, go back to school, then do PLC-Srs in the subsequent summer. Each Jrs/Srs program is 6 weeks. If he successfully completes the program, he will go back to school to get his degree and then receive his commission shortly after graduation (the position I am in now except I did the 10 week PLC combined program for college juniors).

I would recommend contacting an Officer Selection Officer who deal with officer candidates directly. It's not that enlisted recruiters are telling you wrong, it's just that they might not know. Your OSO will have all the information regarding the officer programs.

Waycoolrob
11-11-09, 10:11 PM
Can't thank you enough for the answer and for the quick reply... Kid is actually out running as we speak. He is pretty motivated and I could not be prouder.
Again thanks

Geagle05
11-11-09, 10:16 PM

Yes, there are only a handful of infantry officer slots out of TBS. I do not have the exact numbers, but just know that not everyone gets to be a grunt. MOS selection at TBS is done in the later training stages and is based off your class standing. The class is divided into thirds, and basically the top of each third gets their top MOS pick which is also based off of needs of the Corps, your abilities, etc. Essentially, the only way to get your top MOS pick is to finish top of the class.

As far as what IO's do, I am not one so I cannot give you a great answer. But based off my limited experience from OCS, IMO, you've got to be the best: physically and mentally. You will carry the highest responsibility of leading your Marines and all Marine officers lead from the front. I've never met an Infantry officer that didn't look and act sharp. It is no joke. We've all heard the stories of what a bad infantry officer is...they get their Marines killed because of their poor leadership. I say this, because I hear everyone and their mothers say they want to be an infantry officer because it's "cool" or whatever have you. It's a HUGE responsibility. Again, I am not yet a commissioned officer and have only done OCS, so Marines please correct me if I'm wrong...just my .02.

Geagle05
11-11-09, 10:27 PM
Can't thank you enough for the answer and for the quick reply... Kid is actually out running as we speak. He is pretty motivated and I could not be prouder.
Again thanks

No problem. OORAH...I wish him the best of luck. Wish I had the maturity and the calling to serve at that age. Again, definitely talk to an Officer Selection Office...unfortunately, I've heard stories of guys going to recruiters who say they are the OSO but are not. Also you may want to look into NROTC-Marine option units. That's something I didn't realize until it was too late. I'm glad I went through the process my way as I got to live a normal college life, but having the college funding certainly is a plus. And if you're extra motivated, you'll enjoy being able to go through training while in school....and those NROTC units really do prepare you well (for OCS)...from what I've seen.

and Happy Veterans Day to all!

ammermda
11-12-09, 07:58 AM
Yes, there are only a handful of infantry officer slots out of TBS. I do not have the exact numbers, but just know that not everyone gets to be a grunt. MOS selection at TBS is done in the later training stages and is based off your class standing. The class is divided into thirds, and basically the top of each third gets their top MOS pick which is also based off of needs of the Corps, your abilities, etc. Essentially, the only way to get your top MOS pick is to finish top of the class.

As far as what IO's do, I am not one so I cannot give you a great answer. But based off my limited experience from OCS, IMO, you've got to be the best: physically and mentally. You will carry the highest responsibility of leading your Marines and all Marine officers lead from the front. I've never met an Infantry officer that didn't look and act sharp. It is no joke. We've all heard the stories of what a bad infantry officer is...they get their Marines killed because of their poor leadership. I say this, because I hear everyone and their mothers say they want to be an infantry officer because it's "cool" or whatever have you. It's a HUGE responsibility. Again, I am not yet a commissioned officer and have only done OCS, so Marines please correct me if I'm wrong...just my .02.

I concur. You are in the black.

V/r
Lt A

DIUSMC
11-12-09, 09:04 AM
Sounds like you are well on your way to being a great officer. If you are able to keep that mind set and remember that the troops in your command are solely your responsibility no matter what the mission you and your Marines will be ok. I have had the opportunity of seeing the very Best and the very worst that the Marine Corps has to offer. I will opt for the very Best all of the time. Thankfully when the life was on the line the OIC happened to be one of the best. My best to you in the future sir.

Geagle05
11-12-09, 01:10 PM
I concur. You are in the black.

V/r
Lt A

Thank you, sir. I hope I can do that at rifle qual as well!

MGySgt,

Thank you. Well as they say, actions speak louder than words, so I hope to act on that mindset when I do have Marines in my command...no matter the MOS.

R/S

Geagle05
11-29-09, 06:31 PM
Today's Washington Post had a pretty accurate article on OCS. Well written and front page no less! IMO, the reporter surprisingly captured some of the feelings of candidates pretty well, so it might be some good gouge for those interested in going to OCS. Part 2 will be in tomorrow's paper or online. There's a link to a fairly decent video as well.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/27/AR2009112701374.html?hpid=topnews&sid=ST2009112http://www.http://www.washingtonpost.com:80/ac2/wp-dyn?node=admin/registration/register&sub=AR

ajacobsen19
12-10-09, 09:29 AM
Anyone, How do they decide when your going through flight training which aircraft you will fly? Is it merit based or do you have some choice? Im currently enlisted as reserves and am waiting for response on the NROTC scholarship. I have gotten into the University of MN so not sure how ill end up with everything. And lets say I don't get the scholarship but still go to a school with it, does everything still work the same and I just already attended bootcamp or how does everything work that way?

Petz
12-10-09, 01:53 PM
what the crap are you asking?

as for you finding out if you're fixed or rotary that's after your A school or whatever the first school is. I've heard is luck of the draw there as well as vision and medical requirements. If you want to know you'll have to wait or ask your OSO AFTER you start college.

ajacobsen19
12-17-09, 03:41 PM
Im sorry, I dont really know what the other part was about, but thank you I kind of figured it was the luck of the draw.

MSSlaughter
12-20-09, 08:24 PM
FY10 MECEP selections are out, as are the board stats. It was more competitive this year as they only selected 29% vice the traditional 50%.

ÓGlaisne
12-21-09, 11:01 PM
If there are any folks on here who are presently or have previously gone the route of PLC, I would be very interested to hear about the expectations of the student going in. As well, I would appreciate any kind of insight on what the process of initiating talks with a Officer Selection Officer to get the ball rolling is like.

I had only recently learned of this program and would love to know more but I hesitate to bother the Officer Selection Officer before I'm more familiar with the particulars of the program.

Thank you.

Lisa 23
12-22-09, 05:21 PM
How about saying...are there any Marines, not are there any folks.
And try using the search bar on PLC and OSO.

Marine Officer
http://officer.marines.com/

United States Marine Corps Platoon Leaders Course
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/marinetrng/a/marineplc.htm

Capital M
12-23-09, 11:29 AM
If there are any folks on here who are presently or have previously gone the route of PLC, I would be very interested to hear about the expectations of the student going in. As well, I would appreciate any kind of insight on what the process of initiating talks with a Officer Selection Officer to get the ball rolling is like.

I had only recently learned of this program and would love to know more but I hesitate to bother the Officer Selection Officer before I'm more familiar with the particulars of the program.

Thank you.

Hey man, www.MarineOCS, has exactly what your looking for. The majority of your questions could probably be answered on first page and/or stickied threads. Go register over there and spend an hour or two searching the PLC forums. Make sure you follow the rules, post and intro and use the search bar though.

Good luck!

ÓGlaisne
12-25-09, 03:29 PM
Hey man, www.MarineOCS, has exactly what your looking for. The majority of your questions could probably be answered on first page and/or stickied threads. Go register over there and spend an hour or two searching the PLC forums. Make sure you follow the rules, post and intro and use the search bar though.

Good luck!

That is indeed exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you very much.

Muddyblaster
12-29-09, 05:56 PM
Hello MARINES, Ive been looking around and I still need help on my questions. If you are up to it let me know, my Thanks!

Lisa 23
12-29-09, 09:10 PM
Hello MARINES, Ive been looking around and I still need help on my questions. If you are up to it let me know, my Thanks!

And what questions might they be? You have no prior posts of any kind in this thread.
And if you do have questions posted elsewhere....like the poolee forum, Marines can't post there. Your questions should be asked in the Ask A Marine forum.

Geagle05
01-13-10, 08:02 PM

Thank you.

Yes, marineocs.com is very helpful. Bottomline, get to your OSO. They will have the most accurate information and can get the ball rolling for you. Do not hesitate to ask questions, that is their job. Be advised that this past cycle and the winter cycle have been very competitive as another Marine mentioned. We had potential candidates denied with 280 PFTs and good packages. So PT away!

Shadowstar
09-18-10, 11:45 AM
do the students get paid when at ocs?

alphamarine23
09-18-10, 07:56 PM
Yes, they are paid at the rank of Sergeant (E-5).

Smith92
12-03-10, 10:13 PM
I've filled out the NROTC scholarship and am currently waiting to find out whether or not I was accepted. My question is: What happens if I'm not accepted into one of the five universities I listed...

ImpatientPoolee
12-06-10, 01:04 AM
Goodness Lt. Fairman, I'm quite a bit late but thank you very much for answering ALL of my questions.

cschlegel12
12-09-10, 07:45 PM
Lt Fairman,
I actually have multiple questions. First off I am currently enlisted in the Navy and have found it boring and useless. I am ready to take the next step in maturing and take on some real responsibility and a real challenge. I wanted to join the Marines originally but was talked out of it by my family,gf, and Navy recruiter. So I figure now is the time to do what I want and should have done. I would like to become a Marine officer but have no idea how besides OCS or ROTC. Are there any programs to go Navy enlisted to Marine officer that you know of? Also do you know anything about ground intel? And how are officer MOS's selected? And also how is Marine OCS?

Thanks

Geagle05
12-09-10, 08:51 PM
Lt Fairman,
I actually have multiple questions. First off I am currently enlisted in the Navy and have found it boring and useless. I am ready to take the next step in maturing and take on some real responsibility and a real challenge. I wanted to join the Marines originally but was talked out of it by my family,gf, and Navy recruiter. So I figure now is the time to do what I want and should have done. I would like to become a Marine officer but have no idea how besides OCS or ROTC. Are there any programs to go Navy enlisted to Marine officer that you know of? Also do you know anything about ground intel? And how are officer MOS's selected? And also how is Marine OCS?

Thanks

Know this isn't directed towards me; hope you don't mind if I try to answer some of your questions. First, I am unaware of any official programs for Navy enlisted to Marine officer. As far as I know, you would have to go through a Marine Officer Selection Station and speak to an OSO. You would go through the same main officer ascension route that most officers come from. Essentially you can go through either a six, ten, or twelve week session of OCS depending on where you are in college, NROTC, or have already graduated college. Go to www.marineofficer.com (http://www.marineofficer.com) or www.marineocs.com (http://www.marineocs.com) for more info on these programs. I do know for certain that there are officers that were enlisted in other branches that went this route, but I've never heard of a specific program. I apologize if I'm wrong.

I don't know specifics of ground intelligence. I do know that it is a tough MOS to get and that you will go to Infantry Officer's Course (IOC), and a ground intel school post TBS.

Now for MOS selection. After OCS, all officers (whether Naval Academy, NROTC, or PLC/OCC) will go to The Basic School (TBS). This is where I'm at now. MOS selection is basically based off a quality spread, needs of the Marine Corps, and other variables such as your Staff Platoon Commander (SPC), being uniquely qualified, etc. You will rank your MOS' in order of preference. Certain MOS are more competitive based off high demand, and some are competitive off the sole fact that there is a small amount of slots each class. For example, infantry officer is not the easiest to get because many officers want it. The Intels (ground, air, human, and sigint), tankers, etc. is hard to get because there are only a handful of slots each class. The quality spread is broken into thirds. Thus you can be the top of the bottom third and have a better chance to get your top MOS choice than bottom of the top third. Just a way to make sure every MOS has quality Marines.

I won't get into trying to describe OCS in detail. You can probably get a good idea reading around here or the other websites I listed. Think of it as a leadership screening school. There's the elements commonly associated with boot camp...just add more emphasis on leadership.

Hope this at least gives you a better understanding of the process. Good luck!

cschlegel12
12-14-10, 05:52 AM
Ok so my next set of questions. First off what if any are the Marine Corp policy on tattoos and what about the prt (physcial readiness test)? Also is there any reading material you would suggest to read before going to OCS? I know when I was in Navy basic they issued us a book "The Blue Jackets Manual" which is an overall guide line to naval history rules ands regs different boats/ships and so on. It was just a book of everything useful during basic and your time in. Is there such a book for the Marines? What else could I do over the next three years while still in the Navy to better prepare myself for Marine OCS?

Blutic
12-14-10, 06:53 AM
The most important thing you need to do is get in shape. You should be able to run three miles close to 20 min and be able to do 20 pullups, 100 crunches. If you can't, your peers and instructors...

dukemallan
12-27-10, 05:38 PM
Hello,
I am an corporal with five yrs in as a 6113/6199. I am currently an Aerospace Engineering junior at UW, and am planing on graduation in 2012. I am currently 29, and my birthday is in june. I was told by the recruiter today that they don't take back years for prior enlistment for aviation contracts to meet the eligibility age of 28. I think that's just to secluded all the prior aviation contract "enlistee's" that didn't get selected for a Meceps or another comparable program. This is because of the mandatory five year contract, It is not likely to finish a degree before 28. The army offers waivers for aviation up to 42, and the "Well go join the Army then" response has certainly been offered. Why do the Marines seclude such a prime target pool of applicants.