PDA

View Full Version : Marines overstaffed?

Mike2436
08-31-11, 09:52 AM
Hey every one I am in DEP and I was supposed to swear in, in a few days and have my ship date. Well my recruiter contacted me and said never mind we are going to have to wait. He said right now the Marines are overstaffed and are not letting people enlist for this month or so....at least thats what he is telling me. If anyone could let me know anything that would be great. I know the economy is bad and people want to enlist and stay in but didnt think it would be this bad.

Thanks
Mike

Omegaham
08-31-11, 10:10 AM
Hey every one I am in DEP and I was supposed to swear in, in a few days and have my ship date. Well my recruiter contacted me and said never mind we are going to have to wait. He said right now the Marines are overstaffed and are not letting people enlist for this month or so....at least thats what he is telling me. If anyone could let me know anything that would be great. I know the economy is bad and people want to enlist and stay in but didnt think it would be this bad.

Thanks
Mike

Yep, we're downsizing right now. Remember how Bush made the "surge" a few years ago? We're currently at around 204,000 troops. We're going down to about 176,000. As a result, we don't need as many recruits.

Just be patient; if you're a good quality candidate, you'll get your chance soon enough.

Tennessee Top
08-31-11, 10:26 AM
Last I read, the Corps is overstaffed by around 15,000 (at least, that's what they want to lose through a combination of attrition and recruiting). That number may fluctuate depending on what you hear and read. What you say about the bad economy and people wanting to enlist and stay in is very true but you have to add the services downsizing to the equation...it all adds up to a smaller military and a bad time to try and join. Then, if you're lucky enough to get in, it's becoming more difficult to be allowed to stay (they're getting pickier on who they let reenlist).

Our current commandant wants to get back to a leaner, more lethal/mobile/amphibious expeditionary force and leave the protracted engagements to the Army as they are more suited.

Enlisting in the USMC is only going to get tougher as the number of boat spaces diminish. For recruiters, this means they will only devote their time and efforts towards the higher caliber applicants.

Bottom line; you can believe what your recruiter is telling you. You can wait and hope things open up some or go talk to the other services recruiters.

Mike2436
08-31-11, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the information...not nice to hear but thank you

Sgt Leprechaun
09-03-11, 01:41 AM
Asked, answered, closed