PDA

View Full Version : College Credit and points towards promotion

GreenRam
08-30-11, 08:39 PM
Good evening fellow Marines,

I'm a LCpl looking to pick up Corporal here shortly. I have all 7 MCI's completed and accounted for, thus I got my 100 pts towards the composite score. Well, I also take college courses off duty...right now I'm at 18 credits (6 classes with 3 credits per class)...this is not currently showing on my MOL and I'm wondering if these credits will count if added to my MOL towards points on my composite score to help me pick up Corporal. Any input is appreciated. P.S. I missed the cutting score by 5 points this month...so I'm right on the edge!

Rah

Phantom Blooper
08-30-11, 08:53 PM
http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/blmarineprompoint-3.htm

Don't know if this is helpful or not.

Joshjames1234
08-30-11, 09:43 PM
Since cutting scores tend to get lower later on in the quarter, I imagine you'll meet the mark for September 1st. In my opinion, since you are already so close, worry about getting points for college courses for when you pick up Sgt!

Quinbo
08-30-11, 11:29 PM
Unless things have changed .... off duty education is all lumped together including MCI's and college courses. If you are maxed out point wise via MCI's then you will not get additional points for...

Tennessee Top
08-31-11, 08:23 AM
Can't answer your questions about cutting scores today but I can emphasize how important off duty education is to promotion/career development. It's easier to attend classes at some duty stations more than others so take asvantage of being able to go to school whenever you can.

I completed both my AA and BS degrees while on active duty using tuition assistance. It wasn't easy by any means and it meant spending a lot of time in a classroom during the evening and on weekends but I am certain it paid off come promotion time. Besides the required MCI's for enlisted Marines, I also completed The Basic School and the Amphibious Warfare School nonresident programs.