PDA

View Full Version : Miserable performance in DEP PT. [Help me out here?]

GRJin
08-30-11, 08:09 PM
I DEPed in three weeks ago with a shipping date set for the end of January. To me, this is perfect because it allows me to get school out of the way and more importantly because I can reshape myself.

Physical condition: 20 year old male, 5ft 9inch, weighing in at the high 180s. I got enough muscle mass to drag me through the exercises, and that's good, but it's not enough.

Now here's the problem, running drains me in a flash. I practically walk half of the jogging(or running in place which is worse for me) sessions because right after that we're engaged in another, more physical exercise. Now although that exercise doesn't drain me, we run again right after, and I find myself dragging behind. So basically, I start off good. I do all the stretches, warm ups, and exercises without any problems. But right after we go start running continuously and that's where everything goes downhill.
Today I literally fell behind the entire group of the twenty of us. It's pathetic, I am by no means satisfied with that.

I dehydrated in a flash, but the problem with that is that I've been drinking so much water that it's nauseating. So excuse my language here, but wtf?

I don't know what happened today, but I don't want to fall behind again. So I ask people who've probably been in similar situations what I can do here to improve myself.

Any first hand experiences would be better than theoretical information I can find online.

Crusader0451
08-30-11, 08:16 PM
I was in the same boat as you when I joined the DEP PT; Failing runs, back of the pack on a 4 mile, failing IST runs. Two weeks is all it took for me to go from a 14:54 to like a 12:30. All I did was run AT LEAST a mile at most 2 every night (even on rest days). And the night before Poolee PT I would only run half a mile. Ever done crossfit?

GRJin
08-30-11, 08:23 PM
I was in the same boat as you when I joined the DEP PT; Failing runs, back of the pack on a 4 mile, failing IST runs. Two weeks is all it took for me to go from a 14:54 to like a 12:30. All I did was run AT LEAST a mile at most 2 every night (even on rest days). And the night before Poolee PT I would only run half a mile. Ever done crossfit?

Don't know what you're referring to by crossfit, but if it's some exercise routine, then no.

Ever since my first PT session which I also did horrendously due to being unprepared, I have been making the effort to run for at the very least 15 minutes a day. The improvement has shown in that I don't take as many rests and that I'm capable of extending my runs five minutes on the next day. (Building up resistance and stamina slowly).
Thankfully, on my second PT session I actually improved a lot. I only had trouble running back to the office because after two hours of constant exercise I was emptied out.

But to be realistic, I have no clue where that went today.

Crusader0451
08-30-11, 08:36 PM
It sucks but pretty much the only way to get better at running is to run. Keeping a slow pace for an extended amount of time is good. But pushing a fast pace for a moderate amount of time will do you better. Just remember when you start losing stride and wanna walk or slowdown - its those moments where you fight through the pain and keep going that makes you stronger.

And you can just google crossfit and you can check their main site for a daily workout, if you want.

IHaveEGA843
08-30-11, 09:15 PM
I was in your same place and had to struggle with weight. You need to build your endurance up and like crusader was saying keep running. Run a mile, get to the point where it is a cake walk then bump it up to 1.5 miles and etc. It does get easier once you get yourself in the rythem of things.

I'm more speed/sprint so distance is the suck for me and I have to force myself to run at a pace that's slower then what my mind wants to do. Crusader hits the nail on the head with keep running even when it hurts. I usually hurt near the end on my personal runs and the last stretch is always the hardest but I always kick it up a notch until I get back to where I started from.

Try running in places you don't know as well or enjoy being in so you can "site see" instead of just think of the pain and how much you want to stop and walk.

With dedication and heart you'll get there man trust me and I don't like PT as much as others but I make sure I'm giving all at all times.

Stay head strong man.......set goals and break them to make more

sparkie
08-30-11, 09:19 PM
Practice,,,, push.

GRJin
08-30-11, 09:45 PM
More running it is then.
I'm too focused on how long I run rather than how much or how often I do it. I think that's part of my faults.

Any other resistance/stamina improving options are welcome too though.

Pchurchill
08-31-11, 12:03 AM
As the others have said, getting into a running routine is essential. This is because, like anything else, if you do it routinely you will get used to it. As for really improving run times and speed, you have to work portions of time where you run at a faster pace (even sprint) into your run. I've never used ankle weights, but they help others build speed. I imagine they work just as well.

And something I learned the hard way: Stretch thoroughly AFTER you run . If you don't, and you run routinely, you will get terrible shin splints. It happened to me and I self medicated until track season was over, which was a mistake.

Also, when training by yourself, you should bring some tunes along with you. You will probably find yourself not thinking about how much the running sucks, and you might even notice it helps you keep a steady pace.

And when holding your hands, don't make a fist. Pretend you are holding a potato chip in between your thumb and pointer finger: Keep a firm grip, but don't break the chip.

That was way too much writing, I know, but I'm thinking of all I can do to help my fellow poolees ;)

madman1042002
08-31-11, 12:15 AM
PT sucks for me i am a bigger Poolie 190 5'9 and i am not built for running but a couple tricks helped me out ,

keep your head up breath in through your nose out your mouth if you got big lungs breath in 2x and let out once from your mouth

keep a steady pace. A steady pace will have you at the end before you know it.

The most important thing for me is to pick one person out the group who i know is around my weight and stamina and try to beat that person out in no matter what.

Tell you RC hell they love when Poolies vs each other they know we push beyond 100% to win.

last thing when you first start you may not be the fastest the strongest but you will get there and your poolies are your brothers and sisters they will help you out if you ask .

im 23 years old the other poolies are 17-20 fit and ready im working my way back up there Never give up just keep on rolling with the punches

MunkyVsRobot
08-31-11, 05:30 AM
Unfortunately as said previously the only way to get better is to do more of it. There is no magic pill to take to get better only through hard work will you get better at running.

I loathe running but I do it just about everyday, working out can be hard too but nothing that is ever worth it comes easy.

GRJin
08-31-11, 12:12 PM
Now here's something odd.

I gave jogging a shot today even though I felt like I was slammed by a truck thanks to yesterday.
It's not much, but I actually managed to jog a 1 mile in 10:25 minutes.(Stop watch measurements + mapped distance) I probably spent about 2 minutes(At most) walking of that total time.

Like I said, it's not much, but for me that's a huge improvement since when jogging on my own I usually last 5 minutes, rest 2, 3-4 minutes, rest 2-3 and it keeps going downhill. [Sad ain't it?]

I don't get this. Yesterday I wasn't tired at all, this morning I woke up with aches all over, yet I performed better. In fact, I got home and after about two or three minutes I felt exactly the same way that I did before leaving.(I'll definitely be giving it another shot later today when it gets cooler).
Yesterday I was tired out after a mere two or three minutes of jogging at a slow pace, and then in the following two hours, I couldn't jog(not even in place) for more than a minute.

IHaveEGA843
08-31-11, 01:00 PM
You need to apply rest days boss......over working your body will only cause cramps and unwanted injuries.

Do it 3 days a week, that's what I do with road running. Monday/Wednesday I have swim classes so that's my PT for those days but Tues/Thurs free run days and Sat is PT at the RS. My schedule is jam pcked *add in work also for the week* but I do make sure I have a rest day.

Gotta let those muscles rebuild and eat some bananas man......it'll reduce the soreness plus I eat 2 bfore I run to reduce cramps.

Keep pushing man and if you have to SHUFFLE SHUFFLE SHUFFLE! Instead of walk......

So id recommend mon/wed/fri with tues/thrus being rest days. That's what I use to do before I took these classes up.

MunkyVsRobot
08-31-11, 01:34 PM
Now here's something odd.

I gave jogging a shot today even though I felt like I was slammed by a truck thanks to yesterday.
It's not much, but I actually managed to jog a 1 mile in 10:25 minutes.(Stop watch measurements + mapped distance) I probably spent about 2 minutes(At most) walking of that total time.

Like I said, it's not much, but for me that's a huge improvement since when jogging on my own I usually last 5 minutes, rest 2, 3-4 minutes, rest 2-3 and it keeps going downhill. [Sad ain't it?]

I don't get this. Yesterday I wasn't tired at all, this morning I woke up with aches all over, yet I performed better. In fact, I got home and after about two or three minutes I felt exactly the same way that I did before leaving.(I'll definitely be giving it another shot later today when it gets cooler).
Yesterday I was tired out after a mere two or three minutes of jogging at a slow pace, and then in the following two hours, I couldn't jog(not even in place) for more than a minute.

Just keep it up dont forget to hydrate like a bastard when you go running and to stretch after you run. If you just run and stop without doing anything your muscles will start to bind up and they will hurt and you could also possibly hurt yourself.

Also you say you felt the same way after running as you did before that is pretty good that means your recovery after the run and fitness level is raising a bit but dont rest on your laurels while a 10:30 or so mile isnt bad or a normal person thats almost a 16 minute 1.5 mile you want to be at or around a 7 or 8 minute mile minimum.

Try learning to pace yourself in your run so you can last longer in the run if you slow it down you will surprise yourself and go further. Try not to run on pavement as this isnt good for your joints you will murder them and you will also start to develop shin splints. It isnt how you start the run that matters its how you finish, if you start the run sprinting you will be crawling across the finishline. It is hard sometimes to think about it that way but these things are just as mental as they are physical each time you run try to push yourself past that wall. I am not sure if you are running alone or with someone I would reccomend running with someone because then you have someone to motivate you and push you past that wall and or even someone to help keep pace with.

smclean1991
08-31-11, 02:57 PM
i just ran a mile for the first time since i dep'd in about a week ago and man are my calves, and shins on fire. i stretched before and after. could this be shin splints in the making?

Tbrown10
08-31-11, 03:02 PM
+1 to most of what was said here. another thing i did was set a known distance. i always did the Pft 3 mile. start out and run at your goal pace, when you think your going to die just walk and catch your breath and run again, and if you need to walk again do it. eventually you'll be able to run the 3 miles then you can work on speed which is what i did, but im not much of a runner so i still suck ( 11:00 1.5 mile)

Crusader0451
08-31-11, 03:45 PM
Rest days are very important so is stretching before and after. Bananas are good, if im really sore I might take some vitamin C.

I do crossfit WODs everyday except M and W cuz those are my rest days before poolee PT. I also take swim classes MWF. Run everyday M W are half mile days.

Blop
08-31-11, 09:05 PM
The others have all had great suggestions, but there is one thing no one mentioned.

If you are drinking tons and tons and tons of water, like more than a gallon a day you are flushing all the electrolytes out of your system. Which is bad. You need those to make your muscles contract properly. And they'll also prevent cramping ( like calf, quad, shoulder cramps).

I did crew in highschool. The only reason I mention this is because it is such a consistent sport that you can watch different things affect your times by even fractions of seconds on a day to day basis. When I drank tons and tons of water I went slower than when I sipped a reasonable, but still plenty, amount of water.

Also skipping a meal will crush you.

These things might not improve your performance, but they will help to make sure you are always at the top of your game. I'm not a scientist though :P

GRJin
08-31-11, 11:18 PM
The de/hydration thing is something that I'm trying to get a good grip on.

At the start of DEP, it was an issue for me which I corrected enough to get me through the second week with significant improvement. Though in the last PT(the one this thread's based on), I was dehydrated to the point where my head was throbbing, I wasn't sweating at all, and I was pale by the time we stopped.

IHaveEGA843
09-01-11, 08:41 AM
I use to drink a gal of water a day but I slowly backed away from it when I noticed if I never really got dehydrated since my body retained alot of the water. I do drink water after though but drinking alot before made me cramp bad to early with the wanting to **** feeling happen during PT.

Keep pushing it man, I started out not even being able to run a mile without stopping but I pushed and got there. When you start adding mileage to your runs youll begin to notice how your body gets use to what you use to do and make it seem easier then before. YOU HAVE TO RUN AND PUSH THROUGH THOSE PAINS AND CRAMPS FOR YOUR BODY TO BECOME STRONGER!!!!!

Also your body needs to rest, give those muscles time to heal. Eat better, give that body better fuel to burn.

GRJin
09-01-11, 07:09 PM
Had PT again today, with proper hydration, some changes to my running technique, and a different mentality, I managed to drag myself through it. Fell from the front to the back again, but everything was in sight and I didn't feel like **** by the time it was over. We actually ran more today and did less exercise, but still, huge confident boost there.

Thanks for the advise from everyone here and to those who PMed me a great deal of helpful info.

Great site, great community.

IHaveEGA843
09-01-11, 07:59 PM
Bro, WE all have to start some where if we never did any rigorus physical training.

I always been on the heavy side *people said it was just because I was big boned....BULL***** and the only physical activities I did was either on that basketball court/football field or just running around in the woods/outside after school, which was years ago. I'm currently in the best shape of my life and my body is showing it, I had so much muscle under the fat that when I started dropping pounds I could see what was underneath all that flab. Unlike how we think and may want it but nothing comes in the blink of the eye and to get the results you want you HAVE TO PUT OUT and REACH OUT OF THAT COMFORT ZONE.

You'll do better man trust me, I was one of those guys who couldnt do it but always you have to get that out of your head and train yourself. You need to train yourself how to breath correctly, how to pace yourself/keep pace in formation, learn tricks of the trade from the Recruiters/RA Marines, and push all doubt out of your mind.

Set goals....break them....compete against yourself....look straight ahead and tell yourself to get to that destination and once you pass it find another waypoint and pass that....the last stretch regardless of how much it may hurt SPRINT IT OUT!!!!!

Today I added some mileage/routes to my current running area and yea it did hurt because my body wasnt use to going further then I set it, I have to break pass this and push on. If I can do it you can......hit those streets man, throw on some tunes, enjoy what God put out there for your viewing pleasure and just get it in.

Keep at it!

MunkyVsRobot
09-01-11, 08:35 PM
I started doing the Georges St Pierre RushFit program, if any of you have 8 weeks and 100 bucks I would definately. I work full time so typically I dont PT with my RSS but these DVD's kick my butt I am usually dripping with sweat after wards. I have been doing it for almost 2 weeks now in an 8 week program and I am loving every minute of it.

You hate the workout while you are doing it because it will kick your butt but afterwards you feel so great. Sort of how you feel after a run. I could be tired from a days work but after I work out or run I feel re-invigorated.

Also to the OP nice work just keep it up eventually you will be surprised how quickly you come around. Check out some of the older posts some of us have here a lot of us were in the exact same place you were a few months ago.

Tony20111024
09-04-11, 04:59 PM
I DEPed in three weeks ago with a shipping date set for the end of January. To me, this is perfect because it allows me to get school out of the way and more importantly because I can reshape myself.

Physical condition: 20 year old male, 5ft 9inch, weighing in at the high 180s. I got enough muscle mass to drag me through the exercises, and that's good, but it's not enough.

Now here's the problem, running drains me in a flash. I practically walk half of the jogging(or running in place which is worse for me) sessions because right after that we're engaged in another, more physical exercise. Now although that exercise doesn't drain me, we run again right after, and I find myself dragging behind. So basically, I start off good. I do all the stretches, warm ups, and exercises without any problems. But right after we go start running continuously and that's where everything goes downhill.
Today I literally fell behind the entire group of the twenty of us. It's pathetic, I am by no means satisfied with that.

I dehydrated in a flash, but the problem with that is that I've been drinking so much water that it's nauseating. So excuse my language here, but wtf?

I don't know what happened today, but I don't want to fall behind again. So I ask people who've probably been in similar situations what I can do here to improve myself.

Any first hand experiences would be better than theoretical information I can find online.

I started the same way although I weighed 194 6"0. Running has always been my weakness but I started changing my diet to fish and chicken(low carb) and dropped down to 167 within the matter of a month. I lost it so quickly from just changing my diet. I lead most of the PT sessions at my RSS now and when I see someone struggling I will never leave him/her behind but instead make the whole group run in place till they keep up the pace. Puts a little pressure on them. I think if you just go on a good diet you will be fine. Also when you run by yourself go for sprints then jogs in a cycle because light jogs will hardly improve your cardio. Just work at it bro.. there are alot of poolees that started out at tougher situations than you. If you need any help with your diet just shoot me a PM. Goodluck!

Tbrown10
09-04-11, 10:08 PM
all comes down to one thing, and thats never giving up. everytime it hurts, thats less it'll hurt in bootcamp, everytime you push past your limits, thats less blood your unit may shed in combat bro. thats what i think about every time i feel like ****.

Stuffs
09-08-11, 05:04 PM
This is what I tell everyone having trouble running, you have to keep practicing, and not just at the office on group PT days...don't run only at night or in the morning when it "feels better", you have to run in the heat because that's how you'll be running your IST's, in the heat of the middle of the day..

If you run when it 'feels nice' then your body is going to shut down during your IST..not that you should run every day in the heat because if you run in the cold you'll shut down too, never repeat the same exercise, it's not good for you.

here's what I do...
5-day regiment
Monday - do a distance run (1-3miles) timed, like you would run an IST, don't stop.

Tuesday - do a long slow distance run (2-5) miles, don't push too hard, this should be an easy run

Wednesday - Do a moderate distance run (.5-2.5miles) sprint for 100meters every 100meters until you are sure you can't sprint anymore, push yourself, you need to know how to push past it when your body want's to break down, this will help so you don't have to figure it out when you get to boot camp

Thursday - Do another long distance run, be slow and easy like the Tuesday run

Friday - Do the Moderate distance run with sprints just like the Wednesday run

Rest on Saturday and Sunday
Change between morning/night/ and mid-day, you have to get used to running in the heat, drink water, and don't eat greasy foods or drink milk because they dehydrate you..

Crusader0451
09-08-11, 08:18 PM
I was so dehydrated today, i ran outa water real quick too. Luckily people share. I was tasting salt and feeling my lips burn almost the whole time. Being dehydrated really messes you up. -Just Saying...