PDA

View Full Version : Reopening claim

giveen
08-29-11, 10:18 AM
I received 20% for my knees and I had also talked about about my carpal tunnel but was told in my claim that since I never sought treatment for it, it did not exist (my paraphrase). I only took tylenol to handle the swelling. Recently its gone from being an annoying while working till a daily pain.

Do you think I could re-open my claim and get it covered?

Sgt Leprechaun
08-29-11, 11:36 PM
Yes. I think it's worth trying. Go to your regular doctor and have them diagnose you. THEN file the claim, with your accompanying paperwork. There are some more steps you'll need to do (the doc has to write certain things) and you may or may not get a C&P.

giveen
08-30-11, 06:37 AM
Thanks, Sgt. I figured there was several steps I needed to take.
I wrote to a VA rep but he won't be back till Sept 6th so I figured I would give here a try.

Phantom Blooper
08-30-11, 06:57 AM
In addition to the above advice....I would try using a service organization to help with reopening your claim....DAV...American Legion....VFW...AMVETS....see the service officer and see if they can help.

When you file a claim you need to make sue your wording is correct....and what residual effects your injuries and disabilities are hindering you today.

Good luck!

gunner1
08-30-11, 09:33 AM
All this info is spot on. I would find your local veterans service officer they can help with starting a claim. I would join the DAV. Your going to have to prove you case stay on top of it. ( been there done that ) You can PM me for more info.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-30-11, 04:45 PM
Yep. I filed mine with the help of my state VA rep, and although he's good he's more along the lines of the intial filing. Now that I'm official I'll probably look up my local DAV and do the rest with them.

giveen
08-30-11, 07:43 PM
Thanks for all the great advice! I would join the VFW but I never got a chance to deploy, but I will make sure to contact an adviser first.

spotts
08-30-11, 07:46 PM
You can still use the VFW as a VSO even if you are not a member. I see it happen all the time with paperwork that comes through the VA

Sgt Leprechaun
08-30-11, 07:50 PM
You ARE eligible to join the DAV.

Spotts..did you see I finally got my claim...partially anyway? :)

Phantom Blooper
08-30-11, 07:52 PM
I was going to post what Cpl Spotts said.... to Sgt Leprechaun.....
I'll probably look up my local DAV and do the rest with them. they like for you to be but you don't have to be a member of any service organization to use the service office.

They are veterans and may try to get you to join to add numbers to the cause.....but I have seen many DAV..VFW...and American Legion service officers help veterans that were not members of their clan.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-30-11, 07:56 PM
Ahh, roger that. Thanks!

spotts
08-30-11, 08:04 PM
Thats great news that you a partial grant. The wait for a decision is long but well worth it in the end.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-30-11, 08:08 PM
Yes, yes it was! Still have to be C&P'd for about 4 other things but at least, for now, things are moving!

Thanks for YOUR help.

giveen
08-31-11, 10:50 PM
Thank you so much for your advice, Marines. Right now, I do not have private medical insurance, and I'm not making a whole lot of money, so I have to judge if I have the money to go pay a doctor and get x-rays, etc etc.

I have a 2 year old, a 10 month old, and another one on the way, so my money priority is my children.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-02-11, 05:40 PM
Totally understandable, believe me.

giveen
09-09-11, 02:04 PM
Talked to a local rep, was told to go get registered with the VA healtcare program, let them know I am unemployed, then get seen by their doctor, sign paperwork to get represented by the rep, and we can start getting it worked on.

So today I'm heading up to the hospital to take care of some of this.

FistFu68
09-09-11, 03:49 PM
:beer: Good 4 you Sgt.L,you've got your Foot in tha Door now!!! And Giveen Your a Helluva Man too put you'r Kid's in Front of yourself.I know dealing with the VA,Can be a BEAR at times but You owe it 2 yourself and Your Kid's too Accomplish tha Mission.Good Luck 2 both of You Marines and GodSpeed,Semper Fidelis :thumbup: :iwo:

rufus1
09-09-11, 06:24 PM
For Spotts or anyone else that knows. Is it true that if you file another claim that you may be subject to re exams for what you are already approved on. Also with my current exams on the thing that I draw from how long is it before they call you back in to check and see if you have improved or gotten worse. I remember something about five years is that right?

giveen
09-13-11, 08:47 AM
Registered and have a doc appointment for the 21st and the 23rd. They didn't mention anything about getting examined for old claims. This is suppose to be about just establishing my current health in their system.

Rep told me to contact him after the doc appointments to sign paperwork with him.

FistFu68
09-13-11, 10:52 AM
:evilgrin: Tha Wheel that makes Tha Most NOISE Get's tha Grease!!! Go Marine's Go~~~:thumbup::iwo: