PDA

View Full Version : going to 29 palms 3rd LAR, i have a question about rooming with buddies.

lake9
08-28-11, 11:11 PM
We are all PFCS 1 week away from becoming 0313 (Lav crewman) 99% chance of getting sent to 29 stumps and most likely will be in the same company. will we be able to room with each other? The four of us are like brothers and have been through some rough times together. anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

MD8724
08-28-11, 11:41 PM
Unless they have empty racks in other rooms that need to be filled, then yes, most likely.

AAV Crewchief
08-29-11, 08:37 AM
Or they could split you all up into different units.....

MOS4429
08-29-11, 11:18 AM
We are all PFCS 1 week away from becoming 0313 (Lav crewman) 99% chance of getting sent to 29 stumps and most likely will be in the same company. will we be able to room with each other? The four of us are like brothers and have been through some rough times together. anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

I think a lot of it depends on availablity. In order for the four of you to room together, there would need to exist a room with four empty racks. Usually that's not how it works. There is an empty rack here, one there, and they fill them up.

I had a similar situation with a Marine buddy of mine, albeit back in '79, but we arrived on station. We at first we put into an open squad bay divided by partial walls (cubicles). He got his own cubicle cause he had gotten meritorious LCP at first school, meritorious CPL at second school, and I was still a lowly PFC and got an open rack with 3 other unknowns.

As racks became available in the quads that had private rooms with 3 per room, they would notifiy the next Marine in the open squad bay if they wanted it. When we moved up and became available to move out, we decided to keep turning it down until a room came open with 2 racks. It never happened, so finally I went first, and then he decided to take a room a few weeks later. A year later we were both sergeants and moved out and got an apartment.

MOS4429
08-29-11, 11:22 AM
BTW, if you're looking for a church when you get there, Calvary Baptist in Yucca Valley with Rob Watkins is a good one.

numbskully
08-29-11, 01:45 PM

In '85 when I was at stumps with 3rd LAV we had 2 man rooms. I'm sure that is different now but let me say this. I understand you all are brothers, but wait until you get into the field. You will meet and become brothers with so many people that it will seem meaningless to the overall picture. Especially when your "brothers" are only a couple doors or a flight of stairs away.

But don't take my word for it, I was just a lonely ole MIMMS clerk. :nerd:

Nedward
08-29-11, 09:32 PM
But don't take my word for it, I was just a lonely ole MIMMS clerk. :nerd:

MIMMS... The bane of every maintenance Marine in the fleet. :no:

numbskully
08-30-11, 01:35 PM
MIMMS... The bane of every maintenance Marine in the fleet. :no:

LOL, I knew there was something coming between us. ;)

fpdesignco
08-31-11, 07:02 AM
No, you are going to be assigned as the companies see fit probally filling gaps in the barracks space, welcome to LAR, and you are probally going to be split into different companies as well, which means different barracks.

Tennessee Top
08-31-11, 12:03 PM
When you report aboard, won't hurt to ask. Ask to speak to someone in the S-1 personnel shop. You never know; it may be just as simple as asking.

Same as billeting. If you do manage to get assigned to the same company/barracks, talk to the Company Gunny or whomever assigns racks/rooms.

You are no longer recruits. Don't hesitate to talk to people in your chain of command; just be respectful and reasonable in your requests. You may not get the answer you want but at least you tried. People are not mind-readers and cannot help you unless they know what you want/need.

DIMAS86
08-31-11, 09:41 PM
EEERRRRRRRRRR!!! Wolfpack fresh meat!! Your unit just got back from some heavy fighting in Afghanistan, theyll all be drunk and looking for the lastest boot drop to thrash the crap out of. Since so many are off extention of contracts you MIGHT have 2 of you in the same room. But prepare to get split up, and just pray you get paired with a fellow boot. I suggest never staying in your room when you can, and moving quickly on the catwalks. 3rd LAR's been in buildings 1464-1462 since 2001, I have a feeling nothings going to change. Youll be at the top of the hill, and close to all the worst "trails". Apache and Dragoon Co.s are the most prestigious, other than that, get ready to MUE your ass off. This all may have been a bit of overkill, but LAR bubba's are far and few youll learn.

lake9
09-09-11, 08:57 PM
EEERRRRRRRRRR!!! Wolfpack fresh meat!! Your unit just got back from some heavy fighting in Afghanistan, theyll all be drunk and looking for the lastest boot drop to thrash the crap out of. Since so many are off extention of contracts you MIGHT have 2 of you in the same room. But prepare to get split up, and just pray you get paired with a fellow boot. I suggest never staying in your room when you can, and moving quickly on the catwalks. 3rd LAR's been in buildings 1464-1462 since 2001, I have a feeling nothings going to change. Youll be at the top of the hill, and close to all the worst "trails". Apache and Dragoon Co.s are the most prestigious, other than that, get ready to MUE your ass off. This all may have been a bit of overkill, but LAR bubba's are far and few youll learn.

well....i guess ill become an alcoholic :beer:

DIMAS86
09-10-11, 09:37 PM
that or a gym rat. keep me posted on what company you get put in.