PDA

View Full Version : Unable to obtain pathology report from doctor

PART PILO
08-28-11, 01:55 AM
I am supposed to enlist on the first of September but the MEPS doctor needs to see a pathology report from my doctor before giving me the OK. The problem is I owe $1200 to my doctor and they are refusing to release the document until I pay the bill. Paying the $1200 is not an option now as I am literally dirt poor, not $1 to my name. Is what the doctor doing illegal? I know I still owe them money but I dont think I deserve to be dicked around just because I am poor. Does the USMC have any leverage in this? My recruiter is trying but I think it all boils down to money. I am very upset, and poor. Some people just dont get it.

My questions:

Is this legal?

Can the USMC do anything?

TMM54
08-28-11, 02:17 AM
It is illegal for any physician in most states to refuse to release records when a patient asks for copies of the record. Look up the state board that oversees doctors in your state (you can find this online), call them, and file a complaint and ask that they assist you in obtaining the records you need. Also, call the state Legal Aid Society and ask for assistance. Semper Fi, Tom

SSgt Lamie
08-29-11, 03:17 PM
I would suggest filling out a release of medical documentation form and having your Recruiter attempt to get the records. I know as a Recruiter it was a simple process for me to get records on an applicant who was attempting to enlist. Worth a shot for you, the worst things the Doctors can say is no because you owe money. If your Recruiter has a good working relationship with the nurses who work in the records department he should be able to get what you need.

Zulu 36
08-29-11, 03:43 PM
One thing to consider, the federal HIPPA law does allow medical providers to charge for copying records for you. Many providers do. It seems yours is charging you $1,200 for the service.

joseywales
08-29-11, 04:13 PM
Everyones upset about something, its the times in which we live

m14ed
08-30-11, 03:28 AM
I am supposed to enlist on the first of September but the MEPS doctor needs to see a pathology report from my doctor before giving me the OK. The problem is I owe $1200 to my doctor and they are refusing to release the document until I pay the bill. Paying the $1200 is not an option now as I am literally dirt poor, not $1 to my name. Is what the doctor doing illegal? I know I still owe them money but I dont think I deserve to be dicked around just because I am poor. Does the USMC have any leverage in this? My recruiter is trying but I think it all boils down to money. I am very upset, and poor. Some people just dont get it.

My questions:

Is this legal?

Yes SWEEPEA,
you're a bright boy.
Isn,t that why your mother calls you" SUNNY" ?

How do you dick people around that OWE you money ?
Does your doctor know you better than we know you ?
I don't think I'd loan you my $hitbox truck either...
Man UP Numbnutz.

Tennessee Top
08-30-11, 10:58 AM
Ever hear of getting a job? How about borrowing the money to pay the bill?

I know you're enlisting in September but you could do something to earn $1200.00. Sounds like a lot of money to someone who doesn't have any but it's not really. Use your imagination; mow lawns, detail cars, etc. A few days of hard work should take care of it if you don't spend what you make.

The USMC is not interested in relieving you of your personal debts or responsibilities. Do you realize how many wannabees out there are just as poor as you are? You made the debt, it's your responsibility to take care of it. Pretty simple. The doc is only looking out for his business (exact same thing you would do if you had a business). You are nobody special...try to look at it from his perspective. He does not owe you anything...you owe him! If he has a legal burden to provide you with the record then he must comply (at the hospital I work at, we allow patients to look at their charts but not make copies as it would take another staff just to stand at the copy machine all day).

One of our leadership traits is integrity (doing the right thing). The right thing for you to do is pay your bills. If you can't afford to have bills then don't create any.

The Marine Corps wants people who accept their responsibilities and take care of them...not run away from them and want other people to solve their problems. You have a lot of growing up to do if you want to earn our title.

chulaivet1966
08-30-11, 11:29 AM
The OP may not like the response but I agree with TTop.
One needs to take care of their responsibilities.
The doctor deserves to get paid...no excuses for shining it on.
Hmmm......I hope the term 'waiver request' isn't morphing into an 'entitlement' mentality.

That's my take on it.....carry on.

MOS4429
08-30-11, 12:50 PM
"... if any would not work, neither should he eat."

Another example of ENTITLEMENT MENTALITY.

I agree with Top and Chulivet.

That may not be the answer you are looking for.

Have you thought about trying a different source? Follow SSgt Lamie's advice and try getting it from the lab who issued the report.

Go to your doctor's office and see if you can negotiate your bill. They often will set up payment plans and sometimes if you present your situation in a respectful manner will reduce your bill.

Even if it turns out that legally you can obtain the document from your doctor, the does not beg the question what to do with your bill? Do you plan on joining the Marine Corps, going to boot camp and stiffing the doctor? That is not Marine character at all, and you may find yourself sued.

Being dirt poor without a dollar to your name...how do you live? How do you afford rent or eat? If your answer is I live at home, then it goes back to what Top said, find work, any work and take care of business.

chulaivet1966
08-30-11, 01:05 PM
Do you plan on joining the Marine Corps, going to boot camp and stiffing the doctor?

That occurred to me also but it was too late for me to edit/add.
As I read the OP's post again I get the feeling that you may be correct which is unacceptable behavior in my book.
Why would I expect a big favor from anyone, let alone a doctor, when I owe them 1200 bucks that I find excuses for not paying.
I wouldn't give anyone any records either if it was within my rights.

Integrity is severely compromised if the above is the game plan.

Carry on....

Zulu 36
08-30-11, 01:48 PM
I should also point out that any lab that did work for your provider does NOT have to give you a copy of their report per HIPPA. Your state law might say otherwise, but I'm not doing all of the legal research.

Of course, the lab could give you a copy if they have a company policy that allows it. I'm certain there would be a cost associated with it.

Update: As I was typing this, my oldest daughter happened to call. She did medical records and billing as a civilian job at a medium-sized practice (she works full time for her AF Reserve unit now in medical admin).

She said if the doctor's office refuses to release that lab report until you pay up, you're pretty much screwed per HIPPA. Of course state law may say differently. #1 daughter said it was policy in her office (Florida) to refuse to release documents when the patient had an overdue bill EXCEPT if needed for life-or-limb emergency care. Joining the Marines is not such an emergency.

#1 daughter did recommend going to the path lab and giving that a try. Expect to pay if they release the documents. The maximum lawful rate in Florida is $1 per page for the first 25 pages, then 25-cents per page afterward. I don't know what it is for your home state.

She also said to have your recruiter put on his Blues and take a release of medical records to the provider's office. Maybe he can sweet talk the nurses. #1 daughter said it would work on her (she likes Marines).

I am jealous of my daughter though. She called to tell me she was out flying in Pave Hawks role-playing as a patient for the PJs today. She is having way too much fun for it to be legal.

Old Marine
08-30-11, 05:11 PM

My questions:

Is this legal?

Sounds to me that the person that does not get it, IS YOU.

Who do you think is responsibe for your doctor bill? Sure is not the Marine Corps. You my friend made the bill so do you have any idea who should be responsible for the dept? Maybe you think that the taxpayers should take care of it, wrong again. At this time in the good ole U.S. there is already way too much of of this type thing going on and way too many people expecting the taxpayers to take care of their bills.

Maybe its time you grew a set and started handling your affairs correctly.

TMM54
08-30-11, 09:19 PM
In some states, the issue is not whether the patient owes money for treatment or not, it is simply that the doctor has a duty to provide copies of the records and may only charge copying fees to make...

Quinbo
08-30-11, 11:38 PM
Work out a payment plan. Even a $5 money order is an attempt to pay. Paying absolutely nothing will not garner a whole lot of cooperation.

TMM54
08-31-11, 12:35 PM
Bulkyer, great advice. Could not have said it better myself. Semper Fi, Tom

Old Marine
08-31-11, 12:41 PM
The Corps did not used to condone people who had bill collectors hounding them, but I guess this is some of the difference between old/new Corps.

Old Marine
08-31-11, 12:50 PM
The 1st Sleeve probably can't raise his voice these days, unless he has hip boots he can put on to deter all the tears.

PART PILO
09-04-11, 02:13 AM
Thanks