PDA

View Full Version : Base Liberty

Fidelis2
08-27-11, 02:59 PM
Thank you for your service, all of you. Do we get base liberty while in boot camp besides grad day/ I heard other services have this prior to finishing basic training in thier services

Phantom Blooper
08-27-11, 03:13 PM
http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/graduation/ceremony.asp

This link is for MCRD Parris Island

I had a SIL that was in a different branch that had base liberty on the weekends years back....whether they still do in the different branches I don't know you will have to research.....but the Marine Corps only gives you a few hours base liberty the day before graduation to be with your family/friends and return to the barracks by a cetain time....and limited to certain places on the depot.

MarinesFTW
08-27-11, 08:52 PM
You get alittle libo with your fams on family day, then on grad day, you graduate and run off the depot/island as FAST as possible. Dont worry about that while in boot, your going to have a whole 10 days after you graduate.

Swampfox
08-27-11, 11:53 PM
Absolutely no liberty at all until your last week of Recruit Training and then it's only for like three hours on family day which is about a week before graduation. Simple answer...You'll not be allowed to roam around on the Recruit Depot at will on your evenings and weekends shootin' the sh!t with your boot camp buddies laughing it up at all hours of the night.

Swampfox
08-28-11, 12:06 AM
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that when you DO get back to the squadbay after your 3 hour reunion with your mom, stand by. Your Drill Instructors will have no problem excercising their ability to make you PAY for all the love and happiness you just felt.

Omegaham
08-28-11, 04:27 PM
Yep, Swampfox is correct.

The only real "liberty" you get is the following:

1. 3-4 hours of liberty right after the Crucible, where you walk around the PX area and the Support Battalion spots. Most of your fellow recruits will spend 40-50 bucks on ice cream, Monster, and pizza. It's a bad, bad idea. You don't want to do it. Don't buy a watch; the PX jacks up the prices whenever they have new Marines, and you'll pay something like 60-100 bucks for a watch that's worth 10-15. Feel free to laugh at all the WMs buying massive amounts of makeup.

If you're looking for something to do, I suggest buying the cheapest phone card you can find (One card can serve at least ten people, so don't have everyone buy one) and then walking over to the Support Bn phone center. Call your folks, tell them you made it. Don't be a Blue Falcon, though. There's another three hundred guys who want to call their folks.

After you get back to the squad bay, stand by for everyone getting smoked. All the guys who gorged on pizza and doughnuts will be very, very unhappy.

2. Family Day. You get several hours to walk your family around the base and tell them about your stay. I suggest getting something to eat and then starting at the beginning - yellow footprints, the entry portals, your barracks, and so on. You can't go to the Rifle Range or anywhere that isn't part of the built-up base, but there's still plenty of stuff to go show them. All of the restaurants on PI are crap and extremely crowded. Buy something at the PX, sit down at a nice picnic bench, and enjoy yourself. Treat yourself to something nice after you graduate.

m14ed
08-28-11, 06:08 PM
Pizza and donuts in boot ???WTF

Omegaham
08-28-11, 06:11 PM
Pizza and donuts in boot ???WTF

There's a Pizza Hut in the PX at Parris Island.

The donuts are the Krispy Kreme kind that are sitting in the Fat Boy Chow section, right next to the racks of booze.

Don't worry, they ain't going soft. The first time recruits see said glory is the day before Family Day, by which time they're already Marines.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-29-11, 11:15 PM
I think Omega is dead on.

Interestingly, things haven't changed (except for the Crucible part) at ALL since I graduated in 1982....couple hours on Saturday night, then 8 hours on Sunday, Monday graduation. (For us).

And we got smoked on Saturday. Didn't mess with us on Sunday though.

Pogey bait was readily available but most of us didn't hog out on it as I remember. Those who did, did pay on Saturday nite LOL.

On Monday I got the hevll outta dodge, stopped at the first Burger King off base and had a Bacon/Cheeseburger LOL.

MarinesFTW
08-30-11, 09:50 PM
We didn't get any libo whats so ever except for family day and then graduation, we DID how ever get to go to a baseball game on the sunday after the Crucible. If there was a home game that sunday you went, if not, you had a competition between platoons doing relays and that sort of thing. Other then the baseball game, we didn't get any other libo until family day, nothing right after the crucible, just the warriors breakfast which will make you S**T like you never have before.