PDA

View Full Version : In memory of all our fallen brothers...Iwo Jima vets fly flag around the country

thedrifter
10-28-03, 06:11 AM
In memory of all our fallen brothers...Iwo Jima vets fly flag around the country
Submitted by: MCB Hawaii
Story Identification Number: 2003102712746
Story by Cpl. Jessica M. Mills

MCB HAWAII, KANEOHE BAY, Hawaii(October 10, 2003) -- During the amphibious landing on Iwo Jima, five Marines and a Navy corpsman with the 28th Marines, 5th Marine Division, raised the second flag above Mt. Suribachi to signal the capture of the area. The flag raising still remains unforgettable to many Americans even today.

In remembrance of that faithful time in America's history, members of the Iwo Jima Veterans Association are trekking around the country with the last certified flag to be flown over Iwo Jima, and raising it over each state capital of the United States.

In 1993, the Iwo Jima Veterans Associations sent an American flag to the U.S. Coast Guard Loran Station, located on Iwo Jima, and requested that it be flown atop Mt. Suribachi. The Coast Guard complied, and the flag received a certification in its upper corner stating that it was, in fact, flown on Iwo Jima. Shortly after, the Coast Guard station closed, and Iwo Jima was completely given over to Japan.

Paul L. Bockman, a member of the Iwo Jima Veterans Association, recently brought the famous flag to Oahu, to make Hawaii the 21st state to fly the flag.

"Our goal is to fly this flag in every one of the 50 states," said Bockman, a retired Air Force senior master sergeant. "But I want to fly it over as many military bases, veteran cemeteries, schools and mountains that I can as well."

During his stay on Oahu, Bockman has flown the Iwo Jima flag over the Hawaii State Capitol Building; MCB Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay; the National Cemetery of the Pacific; Pearl Harbor Naval Base; the Coast Guard Station; Schofield Barracks; Hickam Air Force Base; the Arizona Memorial; and atop the Hale Koa Hotel aboard Fort DeRussy.

"There are approximately 265 members of the Iwo Jima Veterans Association, and they are all contributing to this cause," said Bockman. "But I have done a lot more with it than anyone else."

Since he acquired the flag in February, Bockman has flown it over Colorado, New Mexico and Hawaii. On Memorial Day of this year, he flew the flag over Mt. Elbert, which is 14,431 feet high and located in the state of Colorado. According to Bockman, that is the highest the flag has ever flown.

He also flew it over Leadville, Colo., which is the highest city in the United States.

But Bockman is not content with the 14,000 foot-plus record; he wants to go higher. So in November, he has scheduled the flag to be attached to the Air Force Thunderbirds' lead F-16 and fly it on a mission over Nellis Air Force Base, Las Vegas.

Before the end of 2003, he plans to fly it over Wyoming and Utah. In Utah, he has enlisted the help of the last three living Medal of Honor recipients to help raise the flag over the capital of Utah.

In February, Bockman will relinquish possession of the Iwo Jima flag and pass it on to the next member who wishes to participate.

"I would do just about anything for this flag. It's that important to me, and the association," said Bockman. "Before I became involved with this flag, I did not know much about the other services, but now I am more impressed with the Marines than ever.

"It never ceases to amaze me how professional and dependable the Marines are," he continued. "They have really tried to help me out in my quest, and they have become our friends. The Marine Corps really is a cut above the rest."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20031027123147/$file/LookingatFlaglow.jpg

Paul Bockman (center), a retired Air Force master sergeant, points out the official Iwo Jima inscription on the famous flag to Master Sgt. Juan Rivera (left), deputy base inspector, and Maj. Chris Hughes, public affairs director, both of Marine Corps Base Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay. Bockman has flown the flag over 21 states, Hawaii being the latest in his quest.
Photo by: Cpl. Jessica M. Mills

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: