PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irene

rickrat
08-25-11, 10:55 AM
Anybody know if Parris Island is in its possible path?

shadox
08-25-11, 11:25 AM
Heard from some contract 0321 here at san onfre that they are being evacuated. Where to? No idea.

rickrat
08-25-11, 12:43 PM
Interesting. Better safe than sorry I guess.

DJ860420
08-25-11, 03:51 PM
That is wrong. Don't pass rumor as fact please, family members worry enough without hearing a bunch of rumors that may or may not be true.

DanM
08-25-11, 04:50 PM
A simple web search brings up an information site with toll free phone number.

http://www.mccs-sc.com/info/hurricane.asp

Phantom Blooper
08-25-11, 07:26 PM
If memory serves me correctly PI is evacuated if the govenor of SC declares a mandatory evacuation of coastal communities.The last I remember and could be wrong was in 1999 when Hurricane Floyd was bearing down on the East coast.

If an evacuation is called for Beaufort County.Where Parris Island is located.

The recruits will be taken inland to Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany, GA. ......and training and games will continue as much as possible for the few days until the roads are open or the all clear is given.

But like said above the only ones that know is the # on that website.

Ridgerunner665
08-25-11, 11:39 PM
I have been watching it closely (my son is there)...looks like its gonna make landfall well north of PI according to the latest tracks.

PI will likely have tropical storm conditions for a while but I wouldn't think that would warrant an evacuation.

Ridgerunner665
08-26-11, 10:46 PM
She's "losing steam" fast...and is well north of PI.

If Irene keeps weakening at the current pace, I don't think the damage will be that bad up the coast...

spotts
08-27-11, 09:07 AM
I was at the Island in 1989 when Hugp hit. They didnt evacuate us, just used us as a huge working party for 2 days after she hit

Marinemom32
12-12-11, 10:15 AM
I know this is a late post to this...My son was Parris Island right in the middle of the Crucible when Irene struck, they had to have the EGA ceremony in the All weather facility. He said ht rained really hard, and the wind was wild....but he said it was so awesome, he actually said the Crucible was his favorite part of all of Boot Camp

Ridgerunner665
01-06-12, 09:47 PM
My son said the same thing about the Crucible...and the history of it all was interesting.

jclarke
01-07-12, 11:10 AM
Ditto on what Ridgerunner and MarineMom said, our's enjoyed the Crucible as well. PI is a lot of swamp/wetland's, it surrounds the road onto the Island. So, if anything hits, there's a huge place for it to go. And you can besure that if something does get too close, they've already got plans in place.