PDA

View Full Version : Vibrams on pavement...

Crusader0451
08-24-11, 08:32 PM
Anybody else run on pavement with veebs? I've been running with vibrams for about a year now and I am passed the infamous calf pains. Alas, at the poolee functions we run on the road almost all the time and it takes a toll on my shins. I am looking into buying a pair of running shoes and am leaning towards New Balance Minimus either Road or Trail. Any input?

IHaveEGA843
08-24-11, 09:08 PM
No but how much did those vibrams improve your run time when you changed your running for? I'm considering buying a pair.

I have a pair of Acsics 2150s and they work great, no pain after running just feel like my feet are on fire from the contact on the pavement.

Crusader0451
08-24-11, 09:22 PM
I couldn't tell you about my run times, I started training seriously and got a pair almost immediately. A friend of mine who was in cross country got a pair and PR'd his mile time on the first run with them.

Blop
08-26-11, 07:01 PM
Perhaps it has to do with which model of vibes you are running in?

I'm past the calf pains myself as well, but I generally try not to run in mine anymore because they sprints simply have too thin of a sole.

Maybe a model with a thicker sole would work out better if you're running in classics or sprints, or even KSOs. Bikila/treks maybe?

Crusader0451
08-26-11, 07:10 PM
Yea man, I had the Treks before, I'm running in Bikilas now. I just noticed on the last IST that i would pass people when i ran in the grass and on pavement I would get passed. I think a pair of Vibram friendly running shoes could increase my time by a minute or so. So that I can run the whole thing with my "grass time" pace, ya know?

Blop
08-26-11, 07:37 PM
Yea, I know what you mean. I tried the running thing in my vibes, but honestly I think I would prefer to run in something with a bit more kush. I like the lack of support and the way it changes your striking pattern, but with distance running I think the thicker soles allow you to run harder when you start to get tired and your form falls apart a bit. I love squatting in them though, nothing better in my opinion!

I see a lot of people with Nike frees.

While were on the topic. Do they give you shoes in boot or do you bring your own, or how does that all work? I haven't seen it mentioned before.

Crusader0451
08-26-11, 08:11 PM
Not positive, but I'm pretty sure in bootcamp you have a small selection to choose from at the PX

Lisa 23
08-26-11, 08:59 PM
They are called "go-fasters" in boot camp, and I believe they are still New Balance. You should get them in receiving, along with all of your other gear and such.

Crusader0451
08-26-11, 09:15 PM
Thank You Ma'am!

Lisa 23
08-26-11, 09:29 PM
You're Welcome.

IHaveEGA843
08-27-11, 01:34 PM
Well I went by Dicks today to purchase a pair and the lady there gave some good info. Since its coming close to my ship date she recommended I stick with the current shoe I have that supports my foot since I have no arch.

She said If I had months to train then gradually train your feet to go from great support to none ie nike frees then to vibrams.

She also stressed about running on concrete or asphalt in those shoes so imma just stick with what I have.

TheOtherGuy
08-27-11, 01:44 PM
Veebs? I need to start calling mine that..

But, my KSOs are the best shoes I've ever bought, worn, or even looked at. Running shoes do provide good support, but the more you use your Vibrams, the easier it will be on you later. Also, are you wearing toe socks with them? I've heard it provides more cushion and a better feel overall. You may want to give those a try.

Just please, keep your Vibrams. Always. I'd hate to be the only one at PT who gets poked fun at for wearing them.

IHaveEGA843
08-27-11, 03:38 PM
This Poolee I usually talk to at our RS ran through his Vibrams so he went out and bought a cheap pair of swimming shoes.

His run time dropped by 15 sec and he was talking about the blisters he feels starting to come up from the swim shoes.

Crusader0451
08-27-11, 06:15 PM
TheOtherGuy (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=88271): I'm rockin em sockless! And I will always be a Veeb King!!! But I think I want a pair of running to shoes to be for preformance and Vibrams for training.

Soon2HaveEGA843 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=80712): Did you buy a pair or didn't find it was worth it? And I guess Vibrams really are bad for concrete...

IHaveEGA843
08-27-11, 07:25 PM
No i saved my money bro......I'll stay with my acsics.

DrinkTwiceT1000
08-29-11, 08:31 AM
Don't get used to running in anything like Vibrams. You will never get a chance to use them throughout your whole career. It may bring your run time down for a little bit on grass because of your shoes what is it really going to do in the long run. You're better off relying on practice to change your run time.

Crusader0451
08-29-11, 02:05 PM
Idk man, vibrams are a better workout and they force you to have proper forefoot strike

Blop
08-29-11, 04:17 PM
Yea, for me it has nothing to do with run times. All I know is that when I run in vibrams my calves are on fire (see:getting stronger), and when I run in regular shoes I don't feel them at all.

I wish I had something other than my sprints though. The sole is just -so- thin.

Crusader0451
08-29-11, 07:49 PM
Yea, for me it has nothing to do with run times. All I know is that when I run in vibrams my calves are on fire (see:getting stronger), and when I run in regular shoes I don't feel them at all.

I wish I had something other than my sprints though. The sole is just -so- thin.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Redsfan293
08-31-11, 11:50 PM
Like Soon2HaveEGA843 said Aciscs are great I bought a pair of 2160's when m shin splints started to get bad and I haven't had shin pain since I bought them. They cost me 100$ but they were 100% worth it.

IHaveEGA843
09-01-11, 08:17 AM
I have the 2150s and they did cost around the 80-100 dollar range. They helped me with my flat feet problems. Hopefully the go fasters in boot will be as good or I will have a time running. First thing I plan on buying at the Recruit PX is a pair of insoles. I want to bring the ones I have but I don't think I can do that since its not on the list of things to bring.

MunkyVsRobot
09-01-11, 08:37 PM
lol i bought a pair of asics for like 30 bucks from a discount shoe store they are definately some badace running shoes. I bought them when I first depped and now they are almost dead. So it appears as if I am doing decently for the recommended amount of running ;) especially if you are sticking by the advice to buy a pair of running shoes and wear them out before you hit RT.

SpaceCadet
09-04-11, 06:22 AM
I love running in my Vibrams. They dropped my running time by over a minute from my Reebok Zic-tecs. They got rid of all arch and knee pain (though that may have just been getting in better shape). It's easier to keep momentum up hills too. I'm thinking about getting something with just a bit more cushioning though. If you don't land your foot just right it can be jarring and mess up your pace. What model of New Balance are the "go-fasters"?

Lisa 23
09-04-11, 10:20 AM
What model of New Balance are the "go-fasters"?

I'm not quite positive, but the model might be New Balance 574 GS. As you can see, they're nothing fancy. Once you get out of boot camp, you can get a good pair of your own.

http://images3.lkimg.com/product-images--deab88afbb1eb10c87b36c3030b9e444a4cb22cc-dcac79091d46fc90--jpg_sqthumb_large--mensshoes-new-balance-574-mens-retro-m574gs.jpg (http://www.like.com/buy?id=deab88afbb1eb10c87b36c3030b9e444a4cb22cc-dcac79091d46fc90&pos=5&ssq=false&bt=popi&pbt=p&sds=2001&rqid=4e6396ea0418537d&rsds=500)

IHaveEGA843
09-04-11, 01:37 PM
So since I have a arch problem and need the added support, when will we be able to purchase some sort of insole foot support?

Those look like the won't help but just add problems but I'll deal with it.

Lisa 23
09-04-11, 02:23 PM
So since I have a arch problem and need the added support, when will we be able to purchase some sort of insole foot support?

Those look like the won't help but just add problems but I'll deal with it.

Sorry...can't help you out with that one.

IHaveEGA843
09-04-11, 07:15 PM
I know its not listed in the booklet we get but I'm going to ask my recruiter if I can possibly take my insoles with me. Its a 50/50 chance thing an I possibly can have them which will reduce the stress on these knees.

I know or assume that majority of the time we'll be running around on dirt/grass. I know I'll lose some more weight there which will lighten up the stress my legs take but those NBs look to have no cushioning or support at all. Lol I remember back when I was in high school those were in style. 2 for 90 bucks at foot action.

Lisa 23
09-04-11, 08:11 PM
Soon2HaveEGA843, here's a suggestion. Why don't you buy a pair of your own New Balance that are similar to what the recruits wear in boot camp....gray in color. Nothing fancy or loud wild colors. You may be able to wear them without having to buy a pair there....and yes, while you think you're getting them for nothing, you're not. The least that could happen is that they'll have you pack them away with your civilian clothes and you won't see them again until your ready to graduate.

IHaveEGA843
09-04-11, 11:25 PM
Yes ma'am, I'm going to run this suggestion by my recruiter first before I go and buy a pair of those. I know that gear issued to us in RT comes out of our pay that's occured during our time there.

Its just something that id like to know especially since my ship date is coming closer. Not a worry to me but just something I'm going to ask, thanks again for the advice.

Lisa 23
09-05-11, 07:11 AM
You're Welcome!