PDA

View Full Version : Current Needs of the Corps

lynz898
08-24-11, 04:10 PM
Before I go running to every recruiter in the area, Id like to know whats going on in the Corps when it comes to recruiting and retention.
I am prior-enlisted, have been out since 2004, I now have my degree and would like to go to OCS, but I tried that route a couple years ago and they told me my tattoo was out of regulation and wouldnt even submit my package (covers 3/4 of my calf). I would still like to pursue OCS, but am just considering going back to the Enlisted side of the house, but have heard that even going back Enlisted may be a challenge right now. Thoughts?

iamspartacus
08-24-11, 04:18 PM
If your tattoo disqualified you a couple years ago, I'd say it will certainly disqualify you this time around too. The Corps is downsizing. Plain and simple. Sure, they're still recruiting and letting some people back in, because they always need a steady flow of fresh blood. But there is more supply than demand when it comes to recruiting. My prior service recruiter told me his chain of command is telling them to forget about quotas and to find reasons to disqualify applicants.

I don't mean to paint a bleak picture, but your tattoo may keep you out. But who knows, never hurts to ask. Good luck devil dog!

Also, be sure to fill out your profile.

lynz898
08-24-11, 04:22 PM
Yes, the tattoo issue hasnt gone away, Im just thinking about finding another recruiter that might be willing to put in for a waiver, I know some recruiters will go to bat for you and some dont want to bother.
What you PS Recruiter told you is the kind of info Im looking for, Thanks!

MOS4429
08-24-11, 05:47 PM
Yes, the tattoo issue hasnt gone away, Im just thinking about finding another recruiter that might be willing to put in for a waiver, I know some recruiters will go to bat for you and some dont want to bother.
What you PS Recruiter told you is the kind of info Im looking for, Thanks!

The tatoo issue comes up frequently. Search the forum and you should find plenty pertaining to it.

You're right, a recruiter may not go to bat for you, and from what I hear it is an issue of supply and demand. There is an abundant supply of warm bodies wanting to enlist in the Marine Corps or reenter, and the demand is low due to downsizing (or more aptly put, returning to former size.) So recruiters can be more selective.

Put yourself in the shoes of the recruiter. Two former corporals approach him/her equally qualified. One has an oversize tatoo and the other does not. They simply don't have time to spend the energy and time on the one requiring the waiver.

In the past...with quotas, more difficulty find those warm bodies, it might be a different story.

I would say if there is one thing that will increase your chances of returning, even in your own words: Get the tatoo removed.

If the tatoo is so important that you don't want to remove it, then returning to the Marine Corps is not as important as you thought it was.

ritter
08-24-11, 09:17 PM
You may want to look into joining the reserves and then doing one of the reserve commissioning programs. You are more likely to get a commission going that route opposed to active duty.

lynz898
08-25-11, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the info everyone, spoke to a recruiter, basically told me chances are zero, not just bc of tattoo, but be of age (30 in Jan.). Sadly, next option is AF or Army.

ritter
08-25-11, 12:34 PM
Reserves cut off is 33.