PDA

View Full Version : Actor, veteran maintains strong ties to Marine Corps

thedrifter
10-28-03, 05:44 AM
Actor, veteran maintains strong ties to Marine Corps

By Michael Burge
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

October 26, 2003

OCEANSIDE – R. Lee Ermey hasn't been in the Marines since 1972, when he was forced to retire after being wounded in Vietnam.

But he is the living embodiment of the saying "Once a Marine, always a Marine."

When Ermey took the stage of the Oceanside Amphitheater as master of ceremonies for yesterday afternoon's entertainment portion of the Defenders of Freedom celebration, everyone in uniform cheered.

"I am Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, your senior drill instructor," he shouted. "From now on, you will speak only when spoken to, and the first and last words out of your filthy sewers will be 'Sir.' "

Everyone laughed.

Ermey was reproducing the character he played in the movie "Full Metal Jacket," a performance that earned him a Golden Globe nomination.

He currently hosts "Mail Call," a popular program on the History Channel, and has appeared in such movies as "Dead Man Walking," "Saving Silverman" and the recent remake of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre."

He considers recent visits with Marines in Iraq as important as the appearances he has made on the silver screen.

"I feel as though I'm a spokesman for the Marines in Hollywood," Ermey said before the show. "I feel very responsible for the Marine Corps. I feel very attached."

The "Mail Call" program focuses on the military past, present and future and requires regular visits to Camp Pendleton, Ermey said. He said he has done about 10 shows at the school of infantry on the base.

He said he doesn't see much difference between the Marines of his generation and this one.

"They're still ready to eat their guts out as much as the old Corps," Ermey said.

On stage yesterday, he didn't hesitate to criticize some of his entertainment colleagues. He unabashedly called Hollywood, "Hollyweird," to the delight of the leathernecks.

But after naming some stars who opposed the war, Ermey said there are thousands of actors, directors and producers who feel otherwise.

"All the ones I know support the troops," he said.

After Ermey introduced the musical portion of the show and left the stage, more than half the audience walked out in mute testimony to his popularity.

He was swarmed by autograph seekers as he worked his way down The Strand to the Beach Community Center.

Lance Cpl. David Graf said the Marine-turned-movie star exemplifies the dedication a Marine should demonstrate after he leaves the military.

"It's an inspiration for everybody," Graf said.

Retired Sgt. Maj. Bill Paxton, a longtime friend who served as a drill instructor in the 1960s with Ermey at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego, said: "He hasn't changed. He's still down to earth. He'll always be a Marine."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Burge: (760) 476-8230; michael.burge@uniontrib.com

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/northcounty/20031026-9999_1mi26pside.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Sgt Sostand
10-28-03, 02:07 PM
One Outstanding Marine

Devildogg4ever
10-28-03, 06:43 PM
He hasn't lost touch with a rifle, either!!

Lock-n-Load
10-29-03, 01:21 AM
:marine:Let's hope Ermey never succumbs to going Hollywood...right now...he is on a perpetual R&R...that's a heady existence...everytime I catch him on TV...he holds my rapt attention...he knows us 100% and we know where he comes from too...smooth seas for Marine: R.Lee Ermey. Semper Fidelis :marine:

Amtracs
10-29-03, 05:22 AM
I didn't know Emery on the field, but Bill Paxton and I had a lot of brews accoss the street in Old Town at the Anchor. A couple of a$$holes tried to roll him in the parking lot one night. Bill was a Hand to Hand Combat Instrutor then. After a good "Thump Call " the Sh!theads were glad when the cops come. If you went thur San Diego 67-69 you probley had Bill as one of your Hand to Hand Combat Instructors. He was working in clothing issue at the depot the last I heard. Bill is very active In The Drill Instructors Assocation and Lee Emery tries to make the reunions.