PDA

View Full Version : Getting stationed in Oki, getting married right before. Question

btrain719
08-21-11, 05:27 PM
Hello,

I just found out on Friday I am getting stationed in Okinawa at Camp Hansen after my MOS school. I am very excited and so is my fiancee, but I realized that I have no idea how to make this an accompanied tour. I am a student at TBS right now.

I will be getting my orders hopefully before October 31st, and I plan on getting married maybe in January... I can't set a date yet because I don't know when my MOS school graduates. But we want to get married between MOS school and checking in to Japan so I can take leave and whatnot.

Anyways, my big problem here is this: Since I am not married at the moment, they are going to cut me unaccompanied orders to Okinawa but I will be getting married right before I ship out. How can I ensure that I will be able to take my wife with me?

Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong section, first post here... I really appreciate the help! I really want this to work out!

Semper Fi!

MOS4429
08-21-11, 06:17 PM
You joined the Marine Corps in 2005, still on active duty, and you're a private?

bpatk
08-21-11, 06:31 PM
I didn't think Okinawa was a accompanied post until you were a E-5 or O-3 or above??? Yeah I'm going toquestion his rank/time-in-grade also!!!

btrain719
08-21-11, 06:35 PM
Sorry, I just joined forum today and haven't edited my profile or anything. I am a 2nd Lt, was enlisted for over 5 years.

btrain719
08-21-11, 06:38 PM
And you can be accompanied as an 01.

jairen
08-21-11, 06:43 PM
Hello,

I just found out on Friday I am getting stationed in Okinawa at Camp Hansen after my MOS school. I am very excited and so is my fiancee, but I realized that I have no idea how to make this an accompanied tour. I am a student at TBS right now.

I will be getting my orders hopefully before October 31st, and I plan on getting married maybe in January... I can't set a date yet because I don't know when my MOS school graduates. But we want to get married between MOS school and checking in to Japan so I can take leave and whatnot.

Anyways, my big problem here is this: Since I am not married at the moment, they are going to cut me unaccompanied orders to Okinawa but I will be getting married right before I ship out. How can I ensure that I will be able to take my wife with me?

Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong section, first post here... I really appreciate the help! I really want this to work out!

Semper Fi!

Honestly, it seems like you may have to be married prior to getting those orders. i can't really see any other way.

You could tell them that you are planning to wed before your EDD, but the Marine Corps would say "yea, we heard that one before, he's just trying to change his orders".

I'd talk to someone in the 1 shop if I were you.

btrain719
08-21-11, 06:46 PM
Honestly, it seems like you may have to be married prior to getting those orders. i can't really see any other way.

You could tell them that you are planning to wed before your EDD, but the Marine Corps would say "yea, we heard that one before, he's just trying to change his orders".

I'd talk to someone in the 1 shop if I were you.
Thanks, I plan on talking to my staff and also with S-1, and TMO, to try to figure this out but I just wanted to know if anyone on here might have some ideas or experience since I really want to figure this out so I can take her with me

devilbones2
08-22-11, 09:01 AM
I went to Oki as a married LCpl with 18 months left on my contract. When I arrived they asked me if I wanted to reenlist and do a tour conversion to bring my family over. I didnt and just sucked it up for 18 months.

MOS4429
08-22-11, 12:16 PM

If you are not married...you cannot get accompanied orders.

It used to be in the old days that first tour to Okinawa was unaccompanied no matter what and the duration was a year. I had Marines who were on first tour and their wives were there. Their wives were also Marines and they both were doing one year tours. Another couple, both LCpls, met on Okinawa, got married, and they extended their tour. I also had one couple, he was a LCpl and she was civilian. He brought her over on their own and they lived in an apartment off base.

Second tours, if married, could be accompanied and were 3 years.

It was the same for officers.

A lot has changed, and that's probably changed too. You are going to need to speak to those in your command to get he final word, but my initial thought is no order is going to be cut for accompanied orders based on a hypothetical situation like yours.

tripledog
08-22-11, 02:04 PM
I was married and I went to Oki, and I left her bvtt home. What a blast !!!!!!!!!!!!

Tennessee Top
08-22-11, 10:01 PM
I thought orders come from MOS monitors at HQMC.

Sir, you may need to talk to your monitor (if they let TBS students do that).

MD8724
08-22-11, 11:13 PM
Our guys who were married shortly before or after arriving to Okinawa had to put in tour conversions or whatever, to make it a 3 year accompanied tour. It took most of them 3-6 months for the paperwork to go through and to get their wives there. Then again, they were enlisted, so maybe your paperwork would get pushed up a bit faster. Anyways, good luck. If your future wife is in college like mine was when I went to Oki, I would just let her stay in school and do the 2 years without her. It will suck, but you could easily fly her out there a few times with all the BAH you would be banking.

AirMech6113
09-13-11, 08:00 AM
first of all, im soooo sorry, your life is gonna suck here in okitraz as we of the 31st meu like to call it... especially if your a lance and below. and i would just suck it up and collect the bah for being married. have her live with her mom or something and just fly her out here a lot or take a lot of leave. trust me man im on futenma right now and my command is probably like the worst parts of the bible.. semper fi