PDA

View Full Version : At Parris Island - Which is worn...woodland or desert, and why?

jrjordan
08-21-11, 01:14 PM
Just wondering what determines which set of cammies are worn at Marine bootcamp at Parris Island?

I have seen pictures with both woodland and desert. I also saw that in some/all(?) the platoon pictures the recruits in the middle had desert and on either side had woodland.

Also, at the end of the Crucible, around the Iwo Jima statue, woodland seems to be used.

Is there a reason one is used over the other and/or are their times in training that one set is used over the other?

I would especially like to know the current rules/customs for which cammi set is used, so if you have graduated fairly recently are/were recently involved there, that would be great.

It has been over 20 years since I was in bootcamp and I was just courious.

Thanks!

Lisa 23
08-21-11, 01:25 PM
Desert cammies with sleeves rolled up became the designated summer uniform in garrison, while the woodland uniform with sleeves down will be the uniform for the winter months, according to AlMar 035/07 (http://www.militarytimes.com/static/projects/pages/almar03507.pdf), titled, “Wear of the Marine Corps Combat Utilitary Uniform.”

New rules for cammies released
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50740

DJ860420
08-21-11, 09:59 PM
That does not go for recruits. The cammies they wear are determined by the phase they are in. It allows people to easily tell what phase they are in. I think it goes desert, woodland, then back to desert.

lamanognr86
08-21-11, 10:44 PM
DJ is right, except for the crucible. I believe woodlands are always used for that training no matter what time of year. I guess it's because we get dirty and muddy, and they dont want us to destroy the desert cammies haha.

methatswho
08-22-11, 09:29 AM
It was woodlands first for me, then deserts (I remember being excited seeing my nametape on my desert cammies when we were about to go on the range), then back to woodlands. Guess it depends on what tiime of the year you go.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-22-11, 11:15 AM
INteresting! Learn something new every day....

ecom
08-23-11, 12:30 AM
I don't think there's any particular order to how and when each color is worn. It will be dependent on the company or battalion.

The material used for the desert cammies is certainly lighter than the material used for the woodlands so that could be part of it.

Redpatcher0481
08-23-11, 01:38 AM
Since Im still a boot Ill answer haha. You start off with the uniform of the day, deserts in my case since I went in June. Then you switch during range week, roll the sleeves for team week, then switch back for BWT then wear your woodlands for Crucible.

Rooger
08-23-11, 05:30 AM
That does not go for recruits. The cammies they wear are determined by the phase they are in. It allows people to easily tell what phase they are in. I think it goes desert, woodland, then back to desert.

Back In the day you could tell what "phase" boots were in by whether their utility trousers were bloused and or the top button on the Blouse was buttoned or not. :usmc:

IW1987
08-24-11, 02:52 PM
Back In the day you could tell what "phase" boots were in by whether their utility trousers were bloused and or the top button on the Blouse was buttoned or not. :usmc:

1st phase recruits have unbloused trousers and wear tennis shoes the first week, and switch to boots after if I recall correctly.

Redpatcher0481
08-24-11, 02:54 PM
1st phase recruits have unbloused trousers and wear tennis shoes the first week, and switch to boots after if I recall correctly.

Yup, you start off as receiving, wear a glow belt and running shoes.. then you get to wear your boots when you get into forming and training, but you dont get to blouse your boots until you go to the range and you change your cammies. Only SD does the whole button your top button thing though. Its too effing hot in PI to do that haha.

Mxzero
08-24-11, 06:11 PM
Way we did it when I was there about this time period three years ago, we started in deserts, went to woodlands for second phase (though it may have just been for the range, not sure) and back to deserts for third. During the last week there, we switched to woodlands since it was the time they switched cammies. So they do switch, but you'll be in something different then the usual for second phase.

Martin513
08-25-11, 09:59 AM
The reason for the Platoon photos with woodlands on the sides and desert in the middle is for the drill instructors. If you look at the drill instructor ribbon it is green with a tan stripe in the middle similar to the way a platoon looks arranged in this order with the different cami's.

DrZ
08-25-11, 10:29 AM
Sure was easier when we only had utilities to wear in boot. You wanted to know what phase anyone was in.... you looked at the color, if the top button was opened or not, if the trousers were bloused.... and how much they smelled as the marched by.

Never had any doubts concerning what to wear!

jrjordan
09-03-11, 07:37 PM
Thanks all. Learned a lot from you info! Much appreciation and Semper Fi!!!

Phantom Blooper
09-03-11, 07:43 PM
and how much they smelled as the marched by.

Cash Sales....:beer: