PDA

View Full Version : Information Regarding George A. Welt

kelsey1217
08-16-11, 09:42 PM
I was wondering if anyone had information regarding George A. Welt from Michigan? He was a tanker in Korea and married Annis Williams and settled in Portsmouth, Virginia. I believe that he was a Private upon retiring...and, if I'm not mistaken, his nickname was "Dead-Eye George". I also, if I am not mistaken, believe that he was only in for four years under active duty.

He passed away about two years ago, and I'd like more information about him--my great grandmother can only tell me so much and he never talked about the Corps when he was alive. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I didn't even know that he was a Marine until he passed. Here is his obituary, if that's any help...I just wish he was still here so I could talk with him about it.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/pilotonline/obituary.aspx?n=george-a-welt&pid=123441382

Thank you in advance,

Kelsey

kelsey1217
08-16-11, 10:06 PM
I apologize--not sure if there's a way to edit this thread, but here's more information:

I also believe that he went to boot camp either during 1950 or 1951 (I'm not sure what the wait was like back then). I know that he met my great grandmother round abouts 1954, 1955. He would have also been at Parris Island.

Thank you

yanacek
08-16-11, 10:34 PM
Kelsey:

I recommend you ask your great-grandmother if she has any of his records or photographs. I'm sure she will let you see them if you are interested. If she does, you may be able to get some information from them that will help you learn more about him. Many guys wrote down names and places on the backs of photographs.

kelsey1217
08-16-11, 10:36 PM
Thank you.

linshan
08-18-11, 03:44 AM
Cleveland Indians' Justin Masterson doesn't let runs or wins diminish his smile
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- It might be nice, perhaps, if one day Justin Masterson really exploded, really expressed the emotions churning beneath that perpetually cheerful exterior.
If the Tribe right-hander showed everyone how frustrating it can be when he fails to get run support from his hitters, if he spouted off the bitterness everyone knows must be simmering somewhere deep down, if he acknowledged that sometimes the glass might really be half-empty.
If he'd stop being so gosh-darn merry and upbeat about everything tossed his way.
"You know, there are times when it's a little too much, I have to say," pitching coach Tim Belcher said, chuckling.
Masterson (a player of Cleveland Indians (http://www.wealthmass.com/Sports-outdoors/Mlb-jerseys-Mlb-jersey-Beseball-Jerseys-Baseball-jersey/Cleveland-Indians/) )said recently. "For me, Some of it is understanding that this is game, and a lot of chance can take place, "You catch a break here, you catch a break there. You're relying on some of your positive attitude and understand that I'm a strong man of faith and believe in God. That definitely has a big part in it -- knowing that it's just the game of baseball."
That Masterson is quick to mention his faith, even when discussing the simplest aspects of baseball, should be expected. His father, Mark Masterson, has been the pastor at Creekside Community Church in Beavercreek, Ohio, for 25 years. Justin was born in Jamaica when his father taught at Jamaican Theological Seminary, he has played the guitar and drums for Creekside, and he attended NAIA Bethel College in Mishawaka, Ind. -- a self-identified evangelical Christian college -- because he wanted to attend the same school as his sister and cousins while remaining close to his core beliefs.
Mlb (http://www.wealthmass.com/Sports-outdoors/Mlb-jerseys-Mlb-jersey-Beseball-Jerseys-Baseball-jersey/Minnesota-Twins/) came second. It still does, and it always will. For the 26-year-old sinkerball pitcher, the end result is important. But it's not everything.
That's why he can still smile after the Indians scored 22 runs in his 11 starts without a victory, how he can shrug off two 1-0 losses and not whine or complain that Tribe hitters were shut out four times.
"I'm just trying to do the best that I can, I like to win. That's definite. But at the end of the day, I want my teammates to appreciate me for the man I am, and hopefully the player I am, too. I go out and bust my tail and put forth the best effort. Sometimes that will mean a victory, sometimes it won't." " Masterson said. "
Still, there's some less-than-perfect feelings beneath the surface. When he was 9, he smacked another boy in the face with a pitch. His parents wondered aloud if he should continue pitching. His tendency to hit batters has continued throughout his career. He's hit seven this season, 10th most in the majors. So he might seem all wholesome goodness, but he's clamoring for every little edge to get that win, too.
his father, Mark, said. ""The fact that he's an optimist and he has a positive outlook on life -- and his faith -- has helped him, The fact it's a team effort helps, too. He's definitely a team player. Team matters when it comes to the sport of MLB (http://www.wealthmass.com/Sports-outdoors/Mlb-jerseys-Mlb-jersey-Beseball-Jerseys-Baseball-jersey/Minnesota-Twins/) .
"But he's human. He enjoys getting wins."
Maybe someday he'll even show that, too.

Mongoose
08-18-11, 08:53 AM
Linshan, are you a basket case? Or just trying to be disrespectful?

kelsey1217
08-18-11, 12:10 PM
I'm certainly puzzled... :/