PDA

View Full Version : Combat diver course

Bornagain
08-12-11, 11:27 AM
I was wondering if anybody could give me some info on any of the pool test. For instance do you have any pointers on how to complete the subsurface swim? I can barely keep a breath hold because my lungs expand so much, so I'm needing some pointers on how to make sure i can stay under longer. Thank you

thewookie
08-12-11, 11:49 AM
Unless you get some direct supervision by qualified people -- I would recommend that you wait until you have the proper training and supervision before getting too advanced. Stick to the basics, there will be plenty of time for that type of training down the road.

So you don't end up dead like both of these guys. (http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-07-13/local/29792343_1_public-pool-city-lifeguard-staten-island-pool)**Update to the article, both guys ARE now dead.

Good luck

Bornagain
08-12-11, 11:54 AM
Thank you for the advice...that's definately something I have to be concerned about, shallow water black out..Anyways I last about maybe 10 seconds and always have the overwhelming urge to surface...I don't know how to stop that..

thewookie
08-12-11, 11:57 AM
shallow water black out..

Let me tell you, it happens to a lot of people. Good swimmers and not. It's no joke, and you won't feel it coming on -- it's lights out.

And if somebody capable isn't there to help you, you might not be coming back from your trip to the wizard. ;)

Good luck

Bornagain
08-12-11, 12:00 PM
Let me tell you, it happens to a lot of people. Good swimmers and not. It's no joke, you won't feel it coming on -- it's lights out.

And if somebody capable isn't there to help you, you might not be coming back from your trip to the wizard. ;)

Good luck

I will most definately keep that in mind

Bornagain
08-15-11, 04:50 PM
I am still awaiting an answer to the first question if anyone would care to help me out further.

iamspartacus
08-16-11, 11:32 AM
Youtube "surviving the cut: Combat Diver school".

Just out of curiosity, why are you training for combat diver school?

Bornagain
08-16-11, 11:59 AM
Youtube "surviving the cut: Combat Diver school".

Just out of curiosity, why are you training for combat diver school?
Well, i've seen that but it doesn't really tell how you're supose to get such a good breath hold, it just shows people doing it which astonishes me. Anyways if all goes well someday I would hope to be recon and they have to do the 30 yard subsurface, along with being qualified to take the combat diver course. I know it's early but if I start now I'm hoping to build my lungs up for it, because as of now a subsurface swim like that would be extremely difficult if not impossible for me to do.

Tennessee Top
08-16-11, 12:09 PM
Sounds like part of your problem is just becoming more comfortable in the water. Only way to do that is to spend more time in it. As you become more confident, then you can begin to work on specific techniques to build-up your breath-hold.

Bornagain
08-16-11, 01:34 PM
Well I'm confident in the water, but not so much under. I've done some cool stuff though...for instance there's a river around here with a hill on one side where you can ride the bike off into the water. It's about 10, 13 feet deep, and after someone goes off you have to go down and get the bike, which is actually quite a hastle to get to the surface. I would love to do actual diving so much, haha not 13 feet of water.. But like I said the problem is in the breath hold.

Bornagain
08-16-11, 05:15 PM
Sooo...any advice on how to get a descent breath hold?

DanM
08-16-11, 05:21 PM

Get a stop watch and sit on a chair and time yourself.Practice until you see improvement.

thewookie
08-16-11, 05:27 PM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+get+a+descent+breath+hold

Plenty links there to improve your technique.

Bornagain
08-17-11, 10:45 AM
Thanks.

Bornagain
08-19-11, 05:57 PM
Just an update: I'm learning from experience. If you take the time to rest before doing the subsurface, you're heart rate is exremeley slower, which as you all know, leads to less expansion in the lungs. I have also learned that the proper stroke underwater makes all the difference and it is very smart to conserve energy. I manage to make it about 30 feet, and still have the urge to breath. The goal is three times farther than that. Any tips could help, because I've got a long ways to go.

Bornagain
09-01-11, 04:17 PM
Another update: I was practicing subsurface today and made it maybe twenty yards with out even having my lungs expand. I could have made my goal but I dont know if my buddy knows CPR just incase haha.

SWRIGHT0321
09-22-11, 03:16 AM

advice is to pass BRC first then worry about dive. and FYI dive is a 50 yd underwater BRC is a 25 yd underwater. I can't tell if you're already a marine or just a poolee wannabe but you have a long way to go. boot - soi - then RIP until then next BRC class picks up. If you survive RIP you will be more than ready for BRC physically but I'm sure you've heard this before... it's all mental. How do you hold you breath longer? just don't come up until you're on the otherside.

FistFu68
09-22-11, 05:50 AM
:evilgrin: Go too tha Dollar Store,buy that 500 pack of Balloon's and Start Blowing... Do this Every Day,till You go Active,No Chit!!! Stay off the Cig's YoungBuck!!! GoodLuck that Bike River action is not very Safe...:iwo: