PDA

View Full Version : please help trying to get the job for me

coryvismith44
08-12-11, 02:21 AM
umm basically im a poolee in the DEP program and i feel im kinda of getting screwed on jobs now when i first was talking to my recruiter i wanted to go infantry after swearing in i was told there were no infantry jobs available so i went with combat engineer being the only one that interested me then yesterday when i went to talk to my recruiter again he said my combat engineer gig was no longer available or never was lol now im stuck with vehicle operator and the only options i have according to my recruiter are going open contract or maybe switching before i ship to boot if jobs open up that i want basically what i want to know is if there is anything i can do to not get stuck wth a job i dont want and how i can work something out for a job i actually do want also how likely is it that jobs will open up? thank you for listening

m14ed
08-12-11, 03:00 AM
How about filling out your profile like you are supposed to please?

Which part of a SHRINKING job economy in the country.......AND DownSizing the Military...Dont you understand ???????????
Slots are fewer than folks wanting them.......
Means you have to be there Earlier,, OR Score Higher than the other APPLICANT.
It isnt much of a question , if you do some basic thinking.

On another note ,,, Learn to us Punctuation . That is about one sorryassed post.

coryvismith44
08-12-11, 03:10 AM
thank you for being so condescending and not really answering any of my questions. i hope the rest of the answers i get on this are better than yours!

Lisa 23
08-12-11, 07:35 AM
thank you for being so condescending and not really answering any of my questions. i hope the rest of the answers i get on this are better than yours!

First - leave the attitude at the door there young man.
If you bothered to read the site rules "first", then you would know that a profile is required.

POOLEE/WANNABEE SITE RULES! Read FIRST!!!

Rule Four make sure that you have a completed profile less than that is unsat and will get you banned for a period up to and including permanently!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28989&page=2

Second - that first post of yours is one very long run-on sentence.
How about using some proper sentence structure - capital letters at beginning of sentences, capitalize the letter I, punctuation marks where needed, and periods at end of sentences.

haebyungdae
08-12-11, 08:44 AM
If there is nothing available, then there is nothing available; nothing else to say on that matter. Any other options would need to be discussed with your recruiter as a lot of us, except for the couple recruiters on here, can only speculate about what you can and can not do.

If you want to be a Marine you will do whatever it is that they need you to do and if you hate it, you could always try to latmove later on down the line if you qualify. Do you want to be a Marine or no? Do you want to serve your country or want it serve you by giving you everything you want?

Apache
08-12-11, 09:20 AM
Attitude will self destruct you Grasshoper

The A is not military issue-sh--can it

Be thankful you are being offered a MOS

take what you are given and maybe transfer later if you qualify

MOS4429
08-12-11, 12:15 PM
First - leave the attitude at the door there young man.
If you bothered to read the site rules "first", then you would know that a profile is required.

POOLEE/WANNABEE SITE RULES! Read FIRST!!!

Rule Four make sure that you have a completed profile less than that is unsat and will get you banned for a period up to and including permanently!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28989&page=2

How about using some proper sentence structure - capital letters at beginning of sentences, capitalize the letter I, punctuation marks where needed, and periods at end of sentences.

EXACTLY MY THOUGHTS!!

Then when I read the first response of disrespect, forget it, not taking my time out of the day on this one.

Another example of entitlement attitude. I want, give me, why can't I have, they are taking from me. I think he would be better served in the Army. Just saying...

chulaivet1966
08-12-11, 12:44 PM
I agree with all comments and honestly I can't tell if a poster is legit or not anymore.

IMO....the first aspects new kids need to understand is that respect, rules, discipline and protocols will be the story of their life if they are worthy of being a Marine.
When I see the brutally lazy sentence structure and calling ones who are giving them direction on this forum 'condescending' I'm not interested in providing assistance.

OP.....if you're legit....think clearly before you speak, think about how little you know about life and how you address Marines on this forum.

Lastly, if you take any of this admonishment as offensive or 'condescending' then you are not a candidate for the USMC and I'd suggest you choose another branch of service.

That's my take....carry on....

Mxzero
08-12-11, 01:27 PM
Not sure how well it'd work nowadays with the way things are going, but just start talking to other branches. You might find out that there's suddenly a spot in what you want available. It was working for people when I got in three years ago, but that was also a time when they were trying to get as many people as possible and right in the middle of the build up, so yeah.

coryvismith44
08-12-11, 01:32 PM
Thank you to the people who answered my questions, and didn't continue to rag on my sentence structure. Now I know that I will need to be gramaticly correct when posting a thread.

coryvismith44
08-12-11, 01:45 PM
Thank you lava dog best answer so far

DrZ
08-12-11, 02:26 PM
Cory,
I am not going to jump your a$$ for your attitude nor your sentence structure since it has been done and is over with now. Learn from what was said however.

Talk to the recruiter and tell him you are willing to wait for, what you feel, is an acceptable MOS. Having a job that doesn't interest you will set you up for a tour you simply will not enjoy. Historically, this creates sh!tbirds who whine and can't stand the Corps. You are young enough to wait and you don't a firm contract until you sign the final papers and do the final swear in.

Talk to the recruiter and wait for what you want.

Tennessee Top
08-12-11, 03:22 PM
Wait to get what you want. We really can't get by without your talents and the USMC wants you to be a happy camper. When you haven't heard from your recruiter in a year or two, drop by and ask for a...

coryvismith44
08-12-11, 04:29 PM
thank you Tennessee top and im probably just going to wait it out. and see what opens up cause i really do want the title. Also do you know anything about going open contract? My recruiter was saying that there is a good chance of getting something in the 03xx area because you have to volunteer for infantry or something.

Lisa 23
08-12-11, 04:51 PM
thank you Tennessee top and im probably just going to wait it out. and see what opens up cause i really do want the title. Also do you know anything about going open contract? My recruiter was saying that there is a good chance of getting something in the 03xx area because you have to volunteer for infantry or something.

Try doing a search on the site....open contracts have been talked about before.

Shipping open contract
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104910&highlight=open+contract

coryvismith44
08-12-11, 04:58 PM
thanks

MOS4429
08-12-11, 05:00 PM
Open contract is just that. OPEN. No guarantees. You join saying I want to be a Marine and I will serve where the Marine Corps needs me. The Marine Corps will place you where the Marine Corps has a need at the time you graduate boot camp. It could be anything. Infantry, administration, motor t, etc.

I would not question a recruiter, but if a recruiter says go open, there is a good chance you can get x, y, and z, there is just as good a chance you will not. The Marine Corps will give you 03 if that's where the Marine Corps wants you.

Listen, the world probably will not end in the next year or two, though the way it is going...but the point is decide what you want to enlist for, and if you have to wait a period of time, then wait. There is nothing wrong with a desire to go into the Marine Corps and also signing up for the mos you want, as long as you qualify for it and you don't mind waiting. Somebody up there gave some good advice about being impatient and getting an MOS you don't like and becoming a sh!+bird.

Subaru
08-12-11, 09:42 PM
Like the others said, do your best to get into at least the field you want to be in; which from the sounds of it, is infantry related. It sounds like you swore in without having anything in writing though, which might mean you are SOL.

I was in the air wing, and hated it but I chose to be there. There were a bunch of guys though that were in the same shoes as you, signed up for infantry, went in open contract, and ended up with me, playin' with electricity. It made for a pretty abrasive first couple years having to work with people who didn't want to be there.

Either way, no matter what job you get, if you love being a Marine and want to stick around, you have a good chance at moving once your first contract is up - although most people tend to do ground side first, and then move into "POG" type jobs later. I would have hated moving into an infantry MOS as a Cpl or Sgt that didn't know anything about it.

That's just my .02, I feel like I'm addressing you as well as everybody else here. Good luck

The Duck
08-13-11, 12:16 AM
It's pretty much as everyone here has said, just keep pushing for the specific job field that you want. They've got quotas to fill so some recruiters will try to push you into into a certain field or just going general. I waited almost a year to get my contract with the job I wanted, after my recruiter tried to send me open contract a couple times but (with the help of my parents) we caught it, and I got the job I wanted and am exponentially happier than i would have been had I gone general and ended doing Motor T or Food Service.

This is 4-5 years of your life remember, they're trying to sell the Corps to you to enlist. To some extent you're trying to show you're up to it, but a lot of it does fall on them because in the end you're the one who says Yay or nay. If they send you the MEPs and you decide you don't want to go open contract the recruiter now has to make up for it.

m14ed
08-13-11, 05:26 AM

How did you make out with a better answer than the one I gave you Bunky ?

Excuse me for not stroking you like your mama does youngster.
I just gave it to you with the ShortVersion, no bells and whistles.
My response was rather Terse I realize. But I wasnt Rude and Whining
like you were in your reply.

You may well just be too thinskined for material to make a US Marine.

Perhaps , you would be better off in something else ?????

afraziaaaa
08-13-11, 06:59 AM

Quit the DEP. You don't have what it takes to be a Marine.

If you do decide to ship to boot camp, go open contract and here's why: When you are open contract, you stop thinking about your job and start thinking about what it is like to be a U.S. Marine.

I hope you prove me wrong.

RichardN
08-13-11, 06:52 PM
How about filling out your profile like you are supposed to please?

Which part of a SHRINKING job economy in the country.......AND DownSizing the Military...Dont you understand ???????????
Slots are fewer than folks wanting them.......
Means you have to be there Earlier,, OR Score Higher than the other APPLICANT.
It isnt much of a question , if you do some basic thinking.

On another note ,,, Learn to us Punctuation . That is about one sorryassed post.

Wow man, way to show a poolee how he will be treated in the Corps. A informative answer would have been appropriate. THEN, you criticize his punctuation while your entire post had grammatical and spelling mistakes through out (Hypocrite much?).

Here are a few pointers to you, read and heed prior to making YOURSELF look like a jack-ass:

1- Learn the proper use of capitalization- there are more than three instances where you mis-used it.
2- Commas are meant to be used singular, not two or three in a row.
3- Learn to spell.
4- It's, sorry assed or sorry-assed.

fjmas1976
08-13-11, 08:02 PM
Wow man, way to show a poolee how he will be treated in the Corps. A informative answer would have been appropriate. THEN, you criticize his punctuation while your entire post had grammatical and spelling mistakes through out (Hypocrite much?).

Here are a few pointers to you, read and heed prior to making YOURSELF look like a jack-ass:

1- Learn the proper use of capitalization- there are more than three instances where you mis-used it.
2- Commas are meant to be used singular, not two or three in a row.
3- Learn to spell.
4- It's, sorry assed or sorry-assed.
:thumbup:

RichardN
08-13-11, 08:04 PM

Hey there tough one, must be boys with good ole M14, huh? You feel obligated to correct a poolee on those things but not a Marine? I guess you didn't learn fair and equal punishment in your lengthy time in the corps, amazing.

joseywales
08-13-11, 08:16 PM
another drill instructor, 2 posts of it now. oh my

RichardN
08-13-11, 08:17 PM
Richard N, your very first post. I'm shocked at the level of criticism.

And by the way the word "misused" is never hyphenated. LOL.
"jackass" is never hyphonated.

How about "aye aye, Gunnery Sergeant"? I know that you learned that SNCOs are NEVER wrong.

The point of my comment was to show that there seems to be a level of severe hypocrisy in this forum; I have been "lurking" here for quite some time and it finally got too much for me. I had to say something, so I just created an account.

RichardN
08-13-11, 09:56 PM
That is my exact intention for creating a profile. I am planning to contact the "MODS" to let them know this fact. There is no reason that any "old salt" can break the rules that they preach on a day to day basis here. What ever happened to leadership by example? These young poolees come here seeking advice, the internet is the "new" choice for seeking information, for lack of better words, this is the "online recruiter". However, there is absolutley no professionalism in focusing on the fact that the poolee "didn't read the rules" or "use the search function". Rather, these facts could be brought up prior to, or better, after providing the future of the Corps with a informaitonal answer.

Phantom Blooper
08-13-11, 10:29 PM
Just what this chicken shiat outfit needs is straightening out!

Tennessee Top
08-14-11, 12:11 AM
I'm sure the MODS will be interested to know us old salts need squaring away and can look forward to your assistance. Sgt Lep will appreciate that (he has a tough job doing it all by himself and could use a good a/gunner like yourself). Thank you for gracing our website with your presents; how in the world did we ever survive without you? From this point forward, we will strive to be kinder/gentler to all the poor little poolees who can't spell, put together a complete sentence, and don't bother to read any of our site rules. Those are exactly the types we want joining our Corps. While you're at it, why don't you suggest they just do away with all the rules so the poolees won't have to worry about reading/breaking any of them. This website will be so much better now that you're here and the pooleess will finally get treated like they deserve...you da man:yes:

coryvismith44
08-14-11, 05:13 AM
Thanks for all the great answers and sorry for showing any disrespect, i was just a little disappointed i couldn't get straight answers. Also sorry for starting a sh** storm of arguing on this thread. I have an immense amount of respect for all of you and what you have done for this country. And to everyone who was telling me to quit now... just more motivation to prove myself and earn the title of Marine!

doc h fmf
08-14-11, 06:40 AM
I Second The Vote Dave .we Need Gunny N With His Experience To Help Sgt Lep With His Job As Moderator

Semper Fi

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Sgt Leprechaun
08-14-11, 08:15 AM
1: The 'Gunny' (allegedly, whatever) has been shown the door for the poolee area. Color me UNimpressed with his first postings. Why?

FAILURE TO FOLLOW SITE RULES. Perhaps, (since he can still read this, just not reply) he should have done that prior to coming in here and 'correcting' MARINES in public. He handled that..poorly, esp. for a SNCO on his first posting.

IF he has issues he can PM me and we'll hash it out from there.

2: Those jumping on the 'lets dogpile' bandwagon who also didn't read the site rules or have forgotten same, have also been banned from posting in this section.

3: As to the poolee who STARTED this, be happy I wasn't here and it was handled by MY senior staff, as I wouldn't have tolerated your crappy attitude and banned you within minutes. They are much more tolerant than I am....and I note the change of 'tood, so that is a good thing. You can stay...for now.

Thread closed for the good of the order.