PDA

View Full Version : Enlisted to Officer Program tweaks procedures

Sgt Leprechaun
08-11-11, 08:39 PM
Enlisted-to-officer program tweaks procedures
By James K. Sanborn - Staff writer Posted : Thursday Aug 11, 2011 9:29:36 EDT

The Marine Corps is toughening up its enlisted-to-officer commissioning programs.

Eligibility requirements will remain the same, but things will get harder up-front. In the biggest change, Marines will have to prove themselves in Officer Candidates School before the Corps shells out the cash for college educations.

Other changes, detailed in Marine administrative message 415/11, include elimination of the Meritorious Commissioning Program and consolidation of the Marine Corps’ four remaining “E-to- O” selection boards.

The highlights:

Success at OCS

In the past, Marines enrolled in the Marine Enlisted Commissioning Program completed OCS — a 10- week school that molds civilians and enlisted Marines into officers — after attending at least one year of school. But some failed to make the cut after costing the Corps thousands of dollars.

“There is no sense in sending Marines to school through the [Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program] if they can’t make it through OCS when the time comes,” said Capt. Adam Scott, the head of regular officer programs at Marine Corps Recruiting Command, in a Marine Corps news release.

“Officer Candidates School is usually the biggest hurdle for Marines,” Scott said. “By getting it out of the way right off the bat, we’re making sure that the Marine Corps isn’t wasting time and money.”

Completing OCS up-front will also enable enlisted Marines to help train civilian students enrolled in their school’s Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps program. Mentorship from enlisted Marines who have already completed OCS could help prepare students for success when their time in Quantico, Va., comes.

Marines selected by the third and final MECEP board this year, which convened in mid-June, will immediately attend OCS. They have two shots. If they fail both times, it’s back to the enlisted ranks for good.

Selection boards

Until now, every commissioning program had its own selection board.

There was one for MECEP, one for the Enlisted Commissioning Program, one for ECP-Reserve, one for the Meritorious Commissioning Program-Reserve, and one for the now-defunct Meritorious Commissioning Program.

Now, one single board will convene three times a year and make selections for all programs. That will streamline the process and conserve resources on the back end, according to the Corps, but the change is more administrative than anything.

For Marines seeking a commission, competition should remain the same. Requirements for applying to each of the programs remain unchanged, Scott said in the release.

Meritorious Commissions

Meritorious commissions are gone. MARADMIN 415/11 does away with the practice, which decades ago was used to award commissions to heroic enlisted Marines who demonstrated extraordinary performance and leadership on the battlefield.

Requirements evolved over time and, until recently, allowed commanding officers to recommend enlisted Marines with some college experience for a commission. Marines had to already have about 75 hours of college credit, be between 21 and 30 years old and be able to complete a bachelor’s degree within 18 months. But commanders weren’t making nominations, and the requirements were similar to MECEP anyway, Scott said.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/08/marine-officer-candidate-program-changes-081111/ (http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/08/marine-officer-candidate-program-changes-081111/)

LoveOfCountry
08-16-11, 01:48 PM
When does this take effect?

I'm a bit confused. They're more worried about already enlisted Marines making the OCS cut than they are with civilians making the OCS cut?

I'd think that would be the case since enlisted have already gone through boot camp.

I'm a bit confused, and being that I was getting ready to try and get into the PLC program, I need to find out how this affects me.

Thanks,

lamanognr86
08-16-11, 11:10 PM
Good thing I already have my bachelors. BOOM!!!

DIBLO7
08-17-11, 04:00 AM
When does this take effect?

I'm a bit confused. They're more worried about already enlisted Marines making the OCS cut than they are with civilians making the OCS cut?

I'd think that would be the case since enlisted have already gone through boot camp.

I'm a bit confused, and being that I was getting ready to try and get into the PLC program, I need to find out how this affects me.

Thanks,

It doesn't really affect you, it mainly affects the Marines who are going through the MECEP program. The way it worked with the current system was a Marine gets selected, then goes to college for a year costing the Marine Corps money as they pay him/her to go to school and then send him to OCS after his freshman year. If they don't pass, depending on the situation, they are allowed to go back the next year, costing the Marine Corps more.

The new systems makes it so that before they ever go to college they will PCS from their previous command and head strait to OCS, then once they graduate, they'll begin college. Which will save the Marine Corps money because if they wash out for whatever reason the Marine Corps is not paying them for a year while they are at college.

The civilians are irrelevant to this story because the Marine Corps is not paying them before they go to OCS and does not pay them after, until they are active.

LoveOfCountry
08-17-11, 08:12 AM
Roger that. Makes sense.