PDA

View Full Version : Artillery Marines in Provisional Rifle Companies

Marsyas
08-11-11, 01:15 PM
Hello again, Marines
I posted in a thread called "Can a High ASVAB Score keep you out of the field" earlier on this month regarding my contract choices and enlistment options. I chose as my top three contracts (In descending order) UH(4 year infantry), CK (4 year artillery), and I believe my third was either UT (Military Police) or CE ( Combat support). Two days ago I was informed that I did not get my UH contract, and am now under the CK contract. I understand that in the Afghanistan War, Artillery Marines are more likely to be placed into Provisional Rifle Companies than any other non-Infantry MOS. This is not an issue for me as my original choice was 4 year Infantry; however, I am curious if anyone could inform me on a specific consequence of my being technically non-infantry. If, after serving my first deployment in Afghanistan as Provisional Infantrymen is it possible for me to apply for the Scout Sniper program? The requirements are service as a 03xx field Marine but does my entrance into a Provisional Rifle Company count as a billet to a 03xx field?
I appreciate any input you could give, and as always thank you for your time and service.

afraziaaaa
08-11-11, 03:45 PM
Hello again, Marines
I posted in a thread called "Can a High ASVAB Score keep you out of the field" earlier on this month regarding my contract choices and enlistment options. I chose as my top three contracts (In descending order) UH(4 year infantry), CK (4 year artillery), and I believe my third was either UT (Military Police) or CE ( Combat support). Two days ago I was informed that I did not get my UH contract, and am now under the CK contract. I understand that in the Afghanistan War, Artillery Marines are more likely to be placed into Provisional Rifle Companies than any other non-Infantry MOS. This is not an issue for me as my original choice was 4 year Infantry; however, I am curious if anyone could inform me on a specific consequence of my being technically non-infantry. If, after serving my first deployment in Afghanistan as Provisional Infantrymen is it possible for me to apply for the Scout Sniper program? The requirements are service as a 03xx field Marine but does my entrance into a Provisional Rifle Company count as a billet to a 03xx field?
I appreciate any input you could give, and as always thank you for your time and service.

No, it doesn't count. You will get plenty of "hardcore" experience as a forward artillery observer though.

Zulu 36
08-11-11, 06:30 PM
Every non-infantry Marine is a potential Provisional Rifleman. That's why they train us the way they do.

Marsyas
08-13-11, 12:48 PM
Thank you very much Marines, your answers have been clear and concise. Semper Fi, I can't wait to join you as a brother in arms.

Marsyas
08-13-11, 11:19 PM
After being messaged by a Marine on the site, I understand that I have broken the sixth rule in my prior post. I apologize and assure you all it won't happen again.