PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Branches before Basic

pvfan
08-11-11, 12:48 AM
Hi everyone, im currently in the Army National Guard, and was wondering if it would be possible to switch over to the Marine Corps (AD, or Reserve) before I ship out to basic, in about 1month or so "(could possibly extend my date to a later time if needed"). I know about the DD368 , and having my unit commander sign it, but since im basically a pogue who hasnt recieved any "Army" training, :confused:I figure it would be easier to do it now, rather than wait until after basic?... , but I guess im wondering if this plan would even be possible? Since the guard doesnt have a DEP, once u sign, ur in.....so yeah , (also does anyone know the chances of switching from guard to the Marines AFTER basic?) any feedback would be appreciated, thx Marines I envy you all..:iwo:

Quinbo
08-11-11, 01:12 AM
If you are looking to substitute ANG basic training for Marine Corps boot camp the answer is no.

If you qualify to be a Marine and want to be a Marine then void your contract with the Army now and go join the Marines.

afraziaaaa
08-11-11, 08:51 AM
If you are looking to substitute ANG basic training for Marine Corps boot camp the answer is no.

If you qualify to be a Marine and want to be a Marine then void your contract with the Army now and go join the Marines.

This. You must route the DD368 through your chain of command. Once it is approved, you can enlist in the Marine Corps. Talk to a local recruiter. He can get you the form you need.

pvfan
08-11-11, 03:43 PM
Well I talked to my recruiter today , and he said basically the only way out of the Guard at this point is to just not show up for basic. And recieve an ELS for Performance and Conduct which would prob be a RE3 , which from what I hear, arent very good to have , and are hard to receive waivers for, if at all possible....I dont want to go that route to be honest..But at the same time, since I haven't been to basic yet, I dont even know if they would release me from my contract, to go over to the Marine Corps. Hopefully somebody here has had a similar situation happen before and wouldn't mind shedding some light on me? lol... ty in advance Marines.

afraziaaaa
08-11-11, 03:49 PM
Well I talked to my recruiter today , and he said basically the only way out of the Guard at this point is to just not show up for basic. And recieve an ELS for Performance and Conduct which would prob be a RE3 , which from what I hear, arent very good to have , and are hard to receive waivers for, if at all possible....I dont want to go that route to be honest..But at the same time, since I haven't been to basic yet, I dont even know if they would release me from my contract, to go over to the Marine Corps. Hopefully somebody here has had a similar situation happen before and wouldn't mind shedding some light on me? lol... ty in advance Marines.

A Marine recruiter or your guard recruiter?

This is terrible advice by the way. RE3s can not enlist in the Marine Corps right now. Flush that thought down the toilet right now.

You need to go see a Marine Corps recruiter if you haven't yet.

Have you checked in to your unit? Are you drilling yet? Not sure how guard works...

pvfan
08-11-11, 03:56 PM
My Guard recruiter told me that. The Marine recruiter in my town is literally just out of recruiting school ,and has had no answers to give me about anything really, I mean I know its not his fault, but my situation is sort of an advanced level problem I guess...its ****ed up I know....But Im just sitting around waiting to go to basic...and have had alot of time to mull things over, and really regret going in the guard...I didint know they dont have a DEP ,which you can basically just walk away from. I know its my own fault , and believe me , I've beat myself up over it enough for 10 lifetimes....but No I havent reported to my unti yet, but once you swear in for the guard, your on whats called drilling status...so im in the military...we do whats called "Rsp" drills once a month, for all new recruits who dont have a unit yet, whether it be because they havent been to basic yet , or have just arrived back from basic,awaiting to be handed off to their respective unit. I just dont know enough about it.. I know I have to have my unit commander sign off on the release...But hell, if my recruiter doesn't want me to get out, then how would a pogue like me even get ahold of my commander? It just feels like, if by some miracle I got in contact with him , they would tell me to **** off , or something..which I prob deserve at this point. But I'll do whatever it takes....hopefully one of you Marines here could help out this turd? ty Marines...as always ;)

afraziaaaa
08-11-11, 04:22 PM
PHEW! Thank god your Marine recruiter didn't tell you that. I was preparing for embarassment. <br />
<br />
Who the hell is in charge of you? Where do you do these RSP drills at? At the unit you go to? Who do...

pvfan
08-11-11, 05:17 PM
Wow afra, that was an extremely informative post. Ty so much man , Ill do that! , now, the question is , who is my chain of command! lol. Ill look on my contract and try to figure that one out, although Im not sure if it would be my projected unit, or the rsp people. Anyways , ty again , you have helped me out tremendously. If all Marines are as thorough and helpful (in a sense of the word) then I cant wait to get in the brotherhood!

afraziaaaa
08-13-11, 06:53 AM
Wow afra, that was an extremely informative post. Ty so much man , Ill do that! , now, the question is , who is my chain of command! lol. Ill look on my contract and try to figure that one out, although Im not sure if it would be my projected unit, or the rsp people. Anyways , ty again , you have helped me out tremendously. If all Marines are as thorough and helpful (in a sense of the word) then I cant wait to get in the brotherhood!

We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

I would venture a guess that your chain of command is your projected unit. If that doesn't work, then it has to be RSP.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out for you.