PDA

View Full Version : Marine to Police Officer...

edwinrivera1990
08-08-11, 12:51 PM
I am 22 years old and a U.S resident. I have always wanted to become a Police Officer and a Marine. I decided to take the Marine route first because I am not yet a U.S citizen; I have to wait 4 more years until I can become one so I decided to fill up those 4 years I'd join the Marine Corps. I am going infantry and the recruiter told me that being in the military there is a fast track to citizenship. As long as I become one before my enlistment is over I'm ok. I have thought about doing my 4 years then using my G.I bill to go to school so that I can be stand out more. The more I think about it though, I would be getting out at the age of 26 and lets say 3 years to get my degree would make me roughly 29 which I personally think is kind of old to be starting off as a cop. So I'm hoping when I get out my military experience and me being biligual will be enough. I am hoping to become a detective or something but I know that requires a degree. Anyways I just want to know if there are any Marines here who became an officer after their enlistment and did you feel like your military experience helped you get the job over others? I'm not starting to realize this post is dumb and pointless but I'm bored at work and hopefully there is a bored Marine out there who just wants to answer.

Zulu 36
08-08-11, 01:14 PM
I am 22 years old and a U.S resident. I have always wanted to become a Police Officer and a Marine. I decided to take the Marine route first because I am not yet a U.S citizen; I have to wait 4 more years until I can become one so I decided to fill up those 4 years I'd join the Marine Corps. I am going infantry and the recruiter told me that being in the military there is a fast track to citizenship. As long as I become one before my enlistment is over I'm ok. I have thought about doing my 4 years then using my G.I bill to go to school so that I can be stand out more. The more I think about it though, I would be getting out at the age of 26 and lets say 3 years to get my degree would make me roughly 29 which I personally think is kind of old to be starting off as a cop. So I'm hoping when I get out my military experience and me being biligual will be enough. I am hoping to become a detective or something but I know that requires a degree. Anyways I just want to know if there are any Marines here who became an officer after their enlistment and did you feel like your military experience helped you get the job over others? I'm not starting to realize this post is dumb and pointless but I'm bored at work and hopefully there is a bored Marine out there who just wants to answer.

Well, going in the Corps is one way to kill off four years. :D
You should be able to get your citizenship easily before you get out.

However, getting a police officer job most places requires more than citizenship, Marine experience, and a second (or really, first) language.

You will likely have to take a civil service exam and, if you score high enough, perhaps an oral board, pass the physical and the psychiatric evaluation, AND pass the background investigation. Tough, but not impossible. Yes, your Marine service and bi-lingual abilities will be a plus.

Some agencies require a bachelor degree, others an associate, some will take a HS diploma, especially if you have some college under your belt. Every department is different.

If you get on, expect to be a patrol officer for at least the first few years. You really need that patrol experience before you can become a good detective. Each department has their way of selecting detectives. Some it's a promotion, others a simple lateral transfer.

Your age of 26, will not be a problem. In fact, it will probably be a benefit as they see it as getting a more mature candidate. I know a lot of cops who started much later than 26 and did fine.

edwinrivera1990
08-08-11, 01:20 PM
If you are thinking of joining the Corps JUST to "fill up the four years" then that is not a good reason to be enlisting. The Marine Corps is a thing in itself, so to speak. It is valuable experience and background for later---but normally someone who goes in simply wants to be a Marine.
It may help you being a Marine before being a police officer, but to use it just as a stepping stone, in my mind, is the wrong motivation.

Oh no no no, I might have put that the wrong way. I for sure want to become a Marine and have always been in the military but never had the chance due to residency. I have many reasons to become a Marine. Being a Marine, making a difference, knowing I did something that mattered, changing and really becoming a man, being more mature and independent, being part of something unique and just being challenged like nothing I will ever encounter.

SSgt Lamie
08-09-11, 08:05 AM
During my time I have worked with several Marines who got out and went on to become Police officer so it isn't out of the question for you.

1 guy got out after 4 years and if working as a State Trooper in Pennsylvania
1 guy got out after 5 years and is working in Correction in Georgia
1 guy got out after 5 years and is working as a County sherriff in Charlotte NC
I work with a guy now from time to time who is a Reservist working for the FBI
I enlisted a guys son and he was a Sherriff in Wisconsin who served 4 years in the 90's
Check with the law enforcement agency that you would ideally like to work for and see what their individual requirement are.

afraziaaaa
08-11-11, 09:00 AM
You can apply for citizenship as soon as you get out of boot camp. The 5 year residency requirement is waiver. Thank W. for that one.

Law enforcement agencies actually come to our bases and try and recruit Marines who are getting out of the Marine Corps. Being a Marine will increase your chances at making it into a law enforcement agency.

Work on your degree while you are enlisted. I will be both leaving the Marine Corps and graduating college next May. It can be done!

At 29, you still have a great amount of time ahead of you.

Hell, I'm 27 and still got neon in my vanes ;)

Sgt Leprechaun
08-11-11, 10:23 PM
I did it. Heck, was workin the road while on Terminal leave!

Many Marines I know have done it.

But as has been said, becoming a LEO is an entirely different process. While your USMC 'status' will certainly HELP, it will not guarantee you anything other than, perhaps, getting a foot in the door.

hbharrison
08-12-11, 01:39 AM
You have been givin good advise on what can be done and how to do it. Law Enforcement can be very rewarding at times and a nightmare at other times. I served 30 years here in the State of Kansas and retired at the rank of Chief of Police. It had its ups and its downs but I would not trade one minute of it for something else. So if that is what you want to do , do it, but do it well.

edwinrivera1990
08-15-11, 10:36 AM
Yes thank you for everyones advice. I will try to keep you guys posted, that's if I ever get a ship date!!