PDA

View Full Version : Uniform at airport

achilles097
08-08-11, 07:53 AM
I am reporting into SOI today and I was curious whether it would be better to leave home in uniform and keep my Alphas on or change in jville. If I decide to change in Jacksonville should I keep my alphas in my garment bag and change after I go to baggage or as a carry on? I'm a little worried because I hear baggage gets lost sometimes in Jacksonville and I don't want to report on civvies.

Yonkers
08-08-11, 08:15 AM
I am reporting into SOI today and I was curious whether it would be better to leave home in uniform and keep my Alphas on or change in jville. If I decide to change in Jacksonville should I keep my alphas in my garment bag and change after I go to baggage or as a carry on? I'm a little worried because I hear baggage gets lost sometimes in Jacksonville and I don't want to report on civvies.

Go in civies and then change into your alphas at the airport... when I got there they made us change out of alphas immediately and there was no point in getting in them at all.. it was so stupid...

achilles097
08-08-11, 08:18 AM
Where did you keep your Alphas?

CplGray
08-08-11, 08:51 AM
I would suggest carry them with you so they don't wrinkle. Also the airline won't loose your alpha's for you.

Burke7051
08-08-11, 10:22 AM

For safety reasons alone, I recommend traveling in civilian clothes. You never know what kind of whacko in an airport might target someone in uniform. Secondly, despite what someone else said, just because it's got a military uniform in it, the airline can still lose your garment bag / luggage. The fact that military uniforms are inside the bag does not suddenly make it magically immune from being lost.

Phantom Blooper
08-08-11, 10:28 AM
For safety reasons alone, I recommend traveling in civilian clothes. You never know what kind of whacko in an airport might target someone in uniform.

There are old threads on here where the Marine Corps at one time told Marines not to travel privately in uniform.

Don't know if there is an ALMAR or not.

Marine3451
08-08-11, 10:36 AM
You''ll see the army in the airport in cammies. Back when I was a boot I traveled to MCT by bus in my Alphas becuase it made me feel special but nowadays its just way easier and more comfortable to travel in civi's and change. The one time I checked my Alpha's with the airline was when I PCS'ed to hawaii and I had to check in to the SgtMaj in cammies. Funny thing was the SgtMaj didnt care just a Cpl in the S-1

achilles097
08-08-11, 11:49 AM
Does it matter if I carry the ditty bag that was issued or my own personal one?

DrZ
08-08-11, 11:56 AM
I always traveled in civvies and then changed prior to reporting in. Otherwise I would report in looking like I had just slept in my Alphas.

Back in the 60s and early 70s.... you wore your Alphas to get military standby on the commercial airlines. I remember I could fly from Tn (A School) to Tx for $29 each way. Which was good since that was damn near a paycheck!

Zulu 36
08-08-11, 12:22 PM
I always traveled in civvies and then changed prior to reporting in. Otherwise I would report in looking like I had just slept in my Alphas.

Back in the 60s and early 70s.... you wore your Alphas to get military standby on the commercial airlines. I remember I could fly from Tn (A School) to Tx for $29 each way. Which was good since that was damn near a paycheck!

And upgrades to First Class sometimes. :D

Apache
08-08-11, 03:26 PM
Airlines losing baggage--
I was on a flight with an Air Force group (squad ? )

The airline lost their checked weapons !
Talk about a P.O.d senior enlisted leader

achilles097
08-08-11, 03:35 PM
Thanks everybody I just decided to wear civvies. I'm in the airport to jacksonville as I speak.

methatswho
08-08-11, 09:07 PM
Thanks everybody I just decided to wear civvies. I'm in the airport to jacksonville as I speak.

I hope you decided against the didy bag. That isn't made for normal Marines to tote around in public. It's made for recruits to look stupid at boot camp.

Also, now that you're in the j-ville airport I'm sure you see how incredibly hard it would be to lose ANYTHING in that tiny excuse for a terminal.

Good luck checking into MCT. You'll soon realize there was no point in you wearing Alphas as no one above the rank of PFC will even see you in them.

...I'm really interested in knowing how MCT will transition in the next couple of years with us going back to a garrison environment. The Marine Corps is about to be like it was in certain periods of the 80s and 90s when there was nobody to shoot. **** are we supposed to do? Field day, field day, field day. Gonna suck for us soon.

CplGray
08-08-11, 09:17 PM
I hope you decided against the didy bag. That isn't made for normal Marines to tote around in public. It's made for recruits to look stupid at boot camp.

Also, now that you're in the j-ville airport I'm sure you see how incredibly hard it would be to lose ANYTHING in that tiny excuse for a terminal.

Good luck checking into MCT. You'll soon realize there was no point in you wearing Alphas as no one above the rank of PFC will even see you in them.

...I'm really interested in knowing how MCT will transition in the next couple of years with us going back to a garrison environment. The Marine Corps is about to be like it was in certain periods of the 80s and 90s when there was nobody to shoot. **** are we supposed to do? Field day, field day, field day. Gonna suck for us soon.

It would have been nice to experience the Marine Corps with a garrison environment. Oh well it was a great experience. Semper Gumby!