PDA

View Full Version : Punchbowl Cemetary

bpatk
08-07-11, 11:41 AM
Other than taking a taxi or POV up to it does anyone know of a DoD authorized tour operator that can dislodge passengers at the Punchbowl Cemetary? I was told by a vet at the USS Arizona memorial that there are about two operators. He said he thought it might by the Pearl VFW or actually done by the Navy for vets. Second if anyone knows who they are are they handicapped accessible.

Phantom Blooper
08-07-11, 11:54 AM
I can't remember the name of the big military hotel in downtown Waikiki Beach.

But back in the 70's when that hotel was relatively new they offered tours that went all over the island and the Punchbowl and Pearl Harbor memorial along with others were included along with a luau upon return.

Maybe the base ITT can help you out.

Ed Palmer
08-07-11, 12:20 PM
National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific at Punchbowl

2177 Puowaina Drive,
Honolulu
808-532-3720

Built in 1948 this National Cemetery is located in the Pu'owaina Crater (Punchbowl). In ancient times this crater was known as the "Hill of Sacrifice". So today the cemetery is a memorial to the sacrifice made by the men and women in the United States Armed Services. Dedicated on September 2, 1949, 776 casualties from the December 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor were among the first to be buried here.

Useful Information:

Open 8am-6:30pm daily
Free Admission
The American Legion offers walking tours Monday through Friday - Call 808-946-6383 for information
Home of the Brave offers narrated tours to military bases plus a drive through Punchbowl - Call 808-396-8112 for further information

Directions:
Located above the city of Honolulu, take Ward Avenue off of Ala Moana Boulevard. Take a right on Prospect Street and follow the signs into the Punchbowl, The Cemetery is also accessible from H1 or the Pali Highway. Follow the signs.

bpatk
08-07-11, 01:54 PM
Thank You!!!! So it's the Legion. To those who don't know only DoD authorized tours can stop & do walking tours. Guided or self guided. You can do your own as I said earlier.