PDA

View Full Version : The commandant is starting black officer quotas

Garyius
08-07-11, 04:47 AM
http://www.nctimes.com/news/article_e715dc69-c452-54d0-b161-4ab249bbb295.html

My personal favorite:

"It's not a quota I'm after, but I've got to pay attention to the numbers," Amos told the naval officers association, a group made up mostly of U.S. Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard officers. "I just know I'm not happy with where we are."
The Marine Corps promoted just 60 blacks among 1,073 promotions to the rank of lieutenant in 2010, he said. Amos said he wants to raise that 3.5 percent figure to at least 5 percent by the end of this year.
"We're changing our entire approach," he said, striding across the floor of a hotel ballroom as he made his remarks. "We're going to improve this year, next year and the year after that."

Ummm...yeah....that is a quota. Nice try. If you love skin color so much, though, resign and give your spot to a black O.

bpatk
08-07-11, 11:06 AM
I sure do hope he's NOT about to go quota!!! I for one could care less about skin pigmentation, sexual orientation, etc. My question is can & do they do their job. In '85 this same farce started but it was women and it too got ugly as it was disguised as Title 9

m14ed
08-07-11, 11:58 AM
Yep,, may as well strike the "Corps Standards"
Crap, a Community Organizer can lead a country.
Just keep repeating "Hope and Change"

chulaivet1966
08-07-11, 12:13 PM
Maybe I'm missing something on this issue.
I guess I'm just too daft to understand why *personal merit, performance along with TIG* are not sole criteria for advancement in the military or anything else in life.
Times certainly have changed but my opinion on this has not.

That's my take on it.....carry on....

m14ed
08-07-11, 01:01 PM
just 60 blacks among 1,073 promotions to the rank of lieutenant in 2010,

Doesnt say where the numbers came from i guess.

The nerve of the 1,013...who were promoted without being black,,, WhataBuncha Racist. Sounds terrible, like, the old JimCrowLaws and attitudes are still in effect in
whitie land. I mean, whats "abrother" gotta do to get ahead in this world ?????

stop the world, i wanna get ahead?????

MUSTANG0369
08-07-11, 01:46 PM
Calm down, we as an officer corps have had certain recruiting goals for gender, race, contract in place for a while. For instance, I knew a guy in the Midwest that needed a female, Asian, pilot to complete mission as an officer recruiter. Somehow he made mission.

Oh yeah, 1stLt is like Lance Corporal in regards to promotion. No board. Dont get fired, dont get a DUI, and you will be promoted at your exact 2 year commissioning mark, as a 1stLt.

Therefore, I think that the CMCs comments are in regards to recruiting, which in all fairness we are not a vary diverse officer corps in regards to other branches. More women in the Air Force, More African American Officers in the Army, and more Asians in the Navy. I think the CMC wants to show that we are a diverse group and rightfully so.

bpatk
08-07-11, 01:50 PM
You've said it for me who cares who it is s long as they're doing the job to USMC standards. I just can't/won't say the CMC shouldn't have said it like he did and without clarification on his behalf or shown the context in which it was said nuff said I'm done here

AlohaMarine
08-07-11, 02:47 PM
Calm down, we as an officer corps have had certain recruiting goals for gender, race, contract in place for a while. For instance, I knew a guy in the Midwest that needed a female, Asian, pilot to complete mission as an officer recruiter. Somehow he made mission.

Oh yeah, 1stLt is like Lance Corporal in regards to promotion. No board. Dont get fired, dont get a DUI, and you will be promoted at your exact 2 year commissioning mark, as a 1stLt.

Therefore, I think that the CMCs comments are in regards to recruiting, which in all fairness we are not a vary diverse officer corps in regards to other branches. More women in the Air Force, More African American Officers in the Army, and more Asians in the Navy. I think the CMC wants to show that we are a diverse group and rightfully so.

Are you in favor of an unqualified black lieutenant leading Marines over a qualified white lieutenant solely for the sake of "diversity"?

MUSTANG0369
08-07-11, 03:23 PM
Are you in favor of an unqualified black lieutenant leading Marines over a qualified white lieutenant solely for the sake of "diversity"?

In all cases it should be best person for the billet/job, but that is not the arguement. You should read what I wrote. I simply said that the OP may have taken the CMCs words out of context. Every single 2ndLt in the Marine Corps gets promoted to 1stLt at 24 months TIG. Point blank, no scores, no photos, no records reviews, They get promoted. I am sure the Commandant knows this. Captain is the first of the competitive boards, similar to enlsited Marines SSgt Board. Therefore, if you already know that then he is probably talking about recruitment, which we already recruit to fill certain demos. Then i can see where we are lacking in certain demos. If they make it or not is up to them, OCS and TBS will drop those unqualified Officers regardless of race, color, creed, etc. Just like those places have done since their inception. I cannot spell it out any easier.

WisconsinMarine
08-07-11, 06:19 PM
The United States has already become a diverse country. Why should we care about the Marine Corps being diverse. It is on the citizens of the U.S. to join. To pinpoint and segregate the Black Americans seems racist to me. All my life ive been told the color of the skin doesn't matter, it's the person underneath the skin that matters. Its should be recruiting the best person possible for the Corps. With the new recruiting effort they are caring more about the political/appearance part of the Corps. It is truely a shame.

MUSTANG0369
08-07-11, 06:24 PM
Troll? I think so.

tripledog
08-07-11, 07:56 PM
LOL when a black man or woman wants something , they are either an American or a Black person.

They cant seem to be the same in any case can they?

WisconsinMarine
08-07-11, 08:13 PM
Troll? I think so.

Seems to me like you are the one trolling.. i was just stating my opinion on recruiting efforts.. lets just keep this an adult conversation and keep our unnecessary comments to ourselves..

MUSTANG0369
08-07-11, 08:24 PM
Well, hang around for a bit you start telling members what to do. If you had been here a while you would know there is a recent trend for people to start a profile and begin bashing most members.

Oh yeah i would fill out a profile. If not you could be banned. Not my rules, just the way it is.

hardcorpe5
08-07-11, 08:38 PM
Never use the racist card with the corps,that is what the troll coment is
screw quota unless you go back to draft Take the best men who come
train them the best posible for a large group
deversify ??Use the men who come & use tough standards for officers,sendem home if they dont have it,,Officer standards are low enough !!
I saw some of the scum we had to take when they sent us some of the worst draftees in the 60,s,, push the numbers thru to fill the ranks..
some were in the Marines ,,some were Marines,I remember
Sgt.U.S. Newton,1994368 ,0811,0311,weapons & tactics instructor, camp geiger

WisconsinMarine
08-07-11, 08:55 PM
Well, hang around for a bit you start telling members what to do. If you had been here a while you would know there is a recent trend for people to start a profile and begin bashing most members.

Oh yeah i would fill out a profile. If not you could be banned. Not my rules, just the way it is.

Is this a Marine or a poolee? I register today and im already being threatened to fill out my profile or be banned.. im starting to reconsider creating an account. If everytime a comment is made that someone disagrees with is automatically considered "trolling" then this isnt the website i thought it was.. as far as me "telling you what to do" that wasnt the case.. i was suggesting we act like men and not boys..

WisconsinMarine
08-07-11, 08:59 PM
The race card was pulled the MOMENT the Commandant uttered those words.
As usual, this is a very race conscious society, and the ones who are the MOST conscious of it are the ones who not ought to be that way----but they are.
That's all they can think about is color.

Not---getting and keeping qualified officers, but officers of a certain race, just to make things look fine.
Maybe 50% would be better than 5%. Or maybe 11%--you see how fracking stupid it is when you pull that crap?

Race first, then officer material....very very sad, people.
And why should we "do better" next year? What does that mean? To have more percentage of black officers whether fully qualified or not?
This is the insanity of the race card pulled by both sides of the political spectrum and everyone in between.

We're, as a country, obsessed with race.

Another fine example of how we got where we are today.

Could not have said that any better.. Very well put!

WisconsinMarine
08-07-11, 09:02 PM
That was not my intention, but i understand.

Phantom Blooper
08-08-11, 06:09 AM
Just out of curiosity...would this be the same thing as Affirmitive Action?

Affirmative action refers to policies that take factors including "race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation or national origin into consideration in order to benefit an underrepresented group, usually as a means to counter the effects of a history of discrimination. The focus of such policies ranges from employment and education to public contracting and health programs.

Matlock09
08-10-11, 02:02 PM
The reaction to this article is a little bit over the top. What the commandant has stated is cold hard facts. Just think about it you could probably count on literally one hand how many black officers you've met in your career. Now as warfighters the color of your skin makes(should) no difference to you however as Americans we take pride in our diversity within our country. Since the Marine Corps and all other armed forces are a direct reflection of our country it should be represented as such. Its not ridiculous nor unfair at all to target Qualified(keyword here) black candidates for the opportunity to prove themselves.

As its current state if you go to many HBCU's you probably wont see as many recruiting efforts if you were to go to a college or university where in fact Blacks are the minority. He is just trying to change that. How that translates into promoting an officer because he is Black over a White officer, I do not know.

Kegler300
08-10-11, 04:01 PM
Soon there will be a MARADMIN re-implementing racial statistics reporting similar to the '70s...

DJ860420
08-10-11, 04:24 PM
It probably means that recruiting efforts for officers will increase near colleges with more black students. It doesn't mean the bar is being lowered, it just means that recruiting drives will happen more at black colleges.

Marine1011
08-10-11, 04:26 PM
Because it's very important that there be more black officers. And if it just so happens that not many blacks are APPLYING, we must go to them in order to make ourselves feel much better about "the numbers".
Pathetic, sad, truly disturbing, not in that order
Main point, more black officers, why? I don't know.

But why not say hey we need more Pacific Islander officers? you never hear that
How about more Native American officers, ever heard that one?
I wonder why

TheReservist
08-10-11, 04:30 PM
It probably means that recruiting efforts for officers will increase near colleges with more black students. It doesn't mean the bar is being lowered, it just means that recruiting drives will happen more at black colleges.

That sounds like what's going to happen.

hardcorpe5
08-10-11, 05:37 PM
O.K step threaded interupted screw type it !! lower the standard,,Commandante Pace was right out of central casting,a boffo outstanding JCOS they dump General pace as JCOS because he was against a queer in every lubed up fox hole,, the JCOS head honcho admiral sold us out to the politically correct. Have none ofyou heard the talk that Sgt. & S Sgt. will get out
We can not use our Marines for politically correct gains,,I have found out that standard have been really lowered since my world drinking & cat house tour in the 60,s with the ship as my hotel..I am for more pacific islanders they are fighters ,,more native american Indians they are often trackers & fighter.. fewer blacks because THEY ARE more likely to be TROUBLE MAKERS!! let the racism & Political correctness Flow to me,, I am not fond of officers tho I saw a few good ones ,,I slacked off my last year because I could not overcome bad leadership,,noses were highly polish ,coffee drank with officers!!!...I made Sgt. anyway on very high cutting score .i AM REALLY WINNING & INFLUENCE FRIENDS HERE for the few post I have made
M.F. OUTSTANDING POST, MATLOCK
Now listen up Squeeks.. MARINE UP,,save the panties untill the queers fill the squad bay

Mxzero
08-10-11, 09:11 PM
Have you got any real, hard data to show that black Marines are more likely to get in trouble then Marines of another race? And actual studies, not "I knew this black Marine once and he was always in trouble. The rest of our unit was squared away but he just wouldn't fall into line with us."

And seriously, who really cares? Just playing the game, make a few more black 2nd Lts 1st LTs and voila, no one can say you're discriminating against them. Keep people off your back.

hardcorpe5
08-10-11, 09:49 PM
..MXzero.,I am a former law enforcement officer..I live next to a black area..it is apart of life in London & Orlando,florida,I also have spent more time in Jail than I should have.
...I fought in ANGOLA to help Blacks,right beside them..
.. In reality white americans fear blacks,many are terrified of them..many of our most liberal americans live in Gated communities,WHY?? I will play the same race game as most here ,,But The Marine Corp provides the nations security.screw the race card game.
In VIETNAM there was a serious problem with Blacks, sweeped under the table,,who do you think did most of the fragging??bet you guess correct,,I have seen so far that this forum is politically correct with low standards . I know i have become a negative celebrity here.dont play race games here . WAKE UP !! Pride & espirit de corp is not just a T shirt slogan.all are equal color at the gate
Hate me Squeeks,but MARINE UP !!

Sgt Leprechaun
08-10-11, 10:03 PM

This, to me, sums up the ENTIRE point, right there.

And you better BELIEVE this is a quota.

Quite simply, it doesn't matter if it is, or isn't (Obviously it IS no matter how much protesting you'll hear), but the PERCEPTION of it will make the difference.

As someone else said, why a quota for 'black' officers and not one for Hispanics, Pacific islanders, South Carolinians, Alaskan Eskimos, etc etc?

Oh, and FBI stats show more 'blacks' in jail/on probation/on parole in the 18-29 age group than any other 'race'. Easy to find if you know what to look for. That's not 'racist' just stats.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-10-11, 10:27 PM
Bingo. "Diver****tivy" is going to be the downfall of us all...because people are too wrapped up about THAT, instead of COMPETENCE.

hardcorpe5
08-10-11, 10:32 PM
dave 2571 you will never like me, you are a squeek & you know it,YOU WERE WRONG BUT IT IS THE WAY PEOPLE ARE TODAY..Marine Up !! do not mix your cut & run comments when our dead military & navy seals are mention.. you have to strike ouT at me,COULD NOT DROP It...it is your nature.I have extremely low standard except for the Corps,I love to rumage thru a ladies laundry basket & bask in the pleasing smells,
MARINE UP !!

Sgt Leprechaun
08-10-11, 10:34 PM
Quite frankly, if I dont' see a profile from you ASAP, you'll be shown the door.

hardcorpe5
08-10-11, 10:34 PM
No Howard in Sgt. U.S.Newton

Sgt Leprechaun
08-10-11, 10:36 PM
Next post without a profile...it'll be your LAST.

hardcorpe5
08-10-11, 10:43 PM
I have filled out a profile, I see there is a click here so I will save you squeeks the trouble & go back to the french foreign legion forum they are Politically correct! amazes me,but they are hard corp
Go ahead continue to shame out dead military

Im not a gynecologist,but i will take a look

Sgt Leprechaun
08-10-11, 10:52 PM
I've yet to see it, and it's not complete. The helos are inbound as I type this. By all means, troll yourself back over there.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-10-11, 11:05 PM
Annnnnnd one extraction....complete.

So let it be written...so let it be done.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-10-11, 11:18 PM
I did a change up there.

But....*sigh*.....

I HAVE grown weary.

Already.