PDA

View Full Version : number of jarheads

bpatk
08-06-11, 07:42 PM
A article in Navy Times stated that the total number of Marines was north of 227,000. I seem to recall that to go above 200,000 except for variances due to recruit vs. retirement, eas, etc. the Corps needed Congresional approval or a Declaration of War? As we all know the Corps has neither. I am thinking this was an omnibus autorization after 9/11? Just VERY curious on this as it's quite a bit above the set troop strength.

Marine3451
08-06-11, 08:20 PM
Last I seen it was 202k but they plan on drawing down to 186k. If you keep up with the maradmin's you can see the start of this with VERP and to new 10 year policy to pick up SSgt

bpatk
08-06-11, 08:52 PM
10 yrs to get SSgt... I've been out awhile but some MOS's that was typical time-in-grade to get SSgt. So I guess you'd also have to do your Drill, Recruiter, etc. tour sooner might gues one would do it as soon as you get Cpl.?

Quinbo
08-06-11, 11:15 PM
I didn't even make the zone until my 12 year mark and that was fairly normal and I was competitive with my peers. In the infantry you would have really had to be on a fast track to be wearing a rocker at 10 years. My how things have changed.