PDA

View Full Version : SNCO re-accession back to Active Duty

SSgtRSD
08-06-11, 09:58 AM
FELLAS IT ISN'T A MYTH, IT IS POSSIBLE TO GO BACK ON ACTIVE DUTY (even as a SNCO)

I have four years of Active Duty and twi and a half on the books on the Reserve side. I started this process back in February of this year. Just yesterday, I was approved for re-enlistment back to the Active component, and get to keep my rocker (I just lose my TIG). This has been a long and stressful process. It took about three months to make a complete package, about a month and a half to clear all of the levels of Marine Corps Recruiting Command, and two/three weeks to clear HQMC. About 6 months total. I am still waiting on orders, but get to swear back in this month. I have three main issues that I wanted to hit on.

First, it is possible. There is a lot of bum scoop out there that tells you it's impossible. It's tough, the bum scoop makes it more stressful, but it's possible. Your first step is to read the order, MCO 1130.80A. Familiarize yourself with the process and the key players. Next, find a recruiter that will help you. There us a lot of postings on here about recruiters flat out saying the Corps is closed for business from prior service Marines. I didn't have this problem. I called two different stations(as a Sgt so no SNCO hookups) and both times the SNCOIC told me to come immediately and start that paperwork. Typically the SNCOICs don't have a mission. The over worked and under appreciated canvasing recruiter may be too booked to talk to you. You will get out of it what you put into it. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Secondly, active duty marines thinking about staying in or getting out, TAKE SOME REAL TIME TO THINK ABOUT IT. I am not just some SSgt who didn't adjust to civilian life and is crawling back. I have a good job as a cop in a major city, I am just meant for the Corps as many of you are as well. The Reserved allowed my to fall back in love with the Marine Corps. There definitely was a sub-culture on active duty that made it "cool" to get out and only those that stay in are either way too moto or got trapped. Gents, the grass is not greener. You may think pay is getting better, job satisfaction higher, personal treatment and rights better, nada!! Just take some time and think about it.

Lastly, poolees. Is it possible to take a Reserve contract and then put in to go active, yes. Is it probable, not really. It is not as easy as it may be made to sound. I learned a lot from my two and a half years in the Reserves. Are the Reserves a better fit for some, absolutely. But to get the full package of Marine Corps life, you want to go active. This is targeted to all those that post about taking a reserve contract to get a sooner ship date under the impression they can change component later, not probable. Be patient, search deep down and figure out what you want.

In closing, the main message is it's possible. You have to want it, and work for it. The Corps is taking Marines back.

SemperBourne
08-06-11, 12:45 PM
OOH-RAH SSGT!! That is motivating!!

TazMatt
08-06-11, 02:23 PM
Can I get back in I have only been out for 36 years.Just kidding .Congrats on your return SSGT. I look back and at times could kick my own butt for not staying in but you live and learn

DrZ
08-06-11, 03:17 PM
Cool...so I could return as a 60 year old SSgt? It would be great until the first PFT and they would find my old body on the side of the track! At least my burial would be in blues with full honors!

Grats SSgt.

Kegler300
08-06-11, 03:57 PM
It's not uncommon, but rare, depending on how long you previously served, and your age. I agree with DrZ that PT and PFT's would be a serious crimp for some of us!

bpatk
08-06-11, 07:58 PM
In 2005 the Corps and Navy sent a letter of intent to recall for certain MOS's or those with specialized training. There were some that had been out quite some time. I know of one that was actually recalled. He was released from active duty as a Cpl. in '87. They put him back in as a GySgt. He is retiring this Dec. is total time active, civ div & active once again is 28yrs. He will get 20 3/4yrs. for retirement purposes. One side note he was given all of 3 weeks to make a PFT that was close to what was needed for his age and then had to make it at the end of the three weeks if he wanted in. lso he COULD NOT go above GySgt in grade per Do reg's.

Marine3451
08-06-11, 08:30 PM
In 2005 the Corps and Navy sent a letter of intent to recall for certain MOS's or those with specialized training. There were some that had been out quite some time. I know of one that was actually recalled. He was released from active duty as a Cpl. in '87. They put him back in as a GySgt. He is retiring this Dec. is total time active, civ div & active once again is 28yrs. He will get 20 3/4yrs. for retirement purposes. One side note he was given all of 3 weeks to make a PFT that was close to what was needed for his age and then had to make it at the end of the three weeks if he wanted in. lso he COULD NOT go above GySgt in grade per Do reg's.

This story sounds really fishy to me. Was he in the reserves during this time. It sounds a bit far fetched that someone left active duty as a corporal in 87 and was ordered back to active duty 18 years later and promoted directly to gunny with no service in between. Maybe I am missing something

bpatk
08-06-11, 08:40 PM
What you missed & I forgot to put in is that he was with a DoD security contractor since his EAS until his intent to recall notice. My booboo!