PDA

View Full Version : Please help me out.

CRuss92
08-04-11, 11:05 PM
Hey everyone, I have a quick question if anyone wouldn't mind answering it for me. How do skinny people tend to fair in Marine Corp training?

I am 18 years old, 5'11", and I only weight about 130lbs. It's not that I'm lazy or anything (I workout hard 3 times a week) or that I don't eat enough, I just have a super high metabolism and have always had trouble gaining muscle so I'm a pretty skinny guy regardless of the fact that I try hard to gain weight. How do people like me tend to do in boot camp?

Please give me your opinions as this is devastating me since I am very eager to join the Corp but I am not sure how someone of my body build would do in boot camp.

Thanks in advance.

dhuntington
08-04-11, 11:22 PM
Actually the skinny guys tend to do really well. Less weight to carry on runs and pull-ups.

Tennessee Top
08-05-11, 07:27 AM
Those who know how to spell Marine Corps correctly do the best.

You do realize this is a Marine Corps website you're visiting don't you? Least you could do is spell our organization right...geez. All you have to do is look at the top of the page and it's right there for you at eye level numerous times.

The Army is a lot easier to spell; why don't you give them a shout?

Apache
08-05-11, 09:17 AM
A profile with a little detail would be real good form----

It's not all about if you look like Charles Atlas
Is your body able to keep up and are you mentally aligned ?

CRuss92
08-05-11, 09:46 AM
Those who know how to spell Marine Corps correctly do the best.

You do realize this is a Marine Corps website you're visiting don't you? Least you could do is spell our organization right...geez. All you have to do is look at the top of the page and it's right there for you at eye level numerous times.

The Army is a lot easier to spell; why don't you give them a shout?

Haha, I'm sorry, that's what I get for trying to write something when I am beyond overtired. Anyways, I've been to some Army PT with a few friends that are actually in the Army now and it was absolutely pathetic - took them 31 minutes to run 3 miles and most of them couldn't do more than 20 push ups and that wasn't for me.

A profile with a little detail would be real good form----

It's not all about if you look like Charles Atlas
Is your body able to keep up and are you mentally aligned ?
Ok, I'll fill out the rest of my profile.
I'm definitely mentally aligned, and after doing a little research on the forums (should have done before posting this) I've seen some threads that have really boosted my confidence as far as doing well physically, from what I have read its more about giving it your all and being mentally in check.

Phantom Blooper
08-05-11, 10:28 AM
Are you ugly?

Because skinny is one thing....ugly and skinny you may have a problem....being messed with.

Seriously there are allot of Marines that are "skinny".....if you meet the height and weight standards and you can pass the PFT or IST you should be good to go.

Good Luck!

Zulu 36
08-05-11, 11:14 AM
I went into boot camp at 5'11", 160, and came out at 165. In photos I looked like bean pole. Alas, no longer. At first, I had some upper body strength issues, but those went away.

Personally, if I were you I would increase food intake. But choose your foods wisely. Proteins and carbs, but stay away from junk food and poogie-bait (candy and such). Avoid going crazy on those expensive supplements as you won't be able to use them at boot camp.

What are you doing for work outs? You sound like a runner, tall and skinny. Make sure you add pull-ups, crunches, push-ups, and other calisthenic work. Some weight work won't hurt either. Build muscle, it weighs more than fat.

MOS4429
08-05-11, 11:49 AM
Hey everyone, I have a quick question if anyone wouldn't mind answering it for me. How do skinny people tend to fair in Marine Corp training?

I am 18 years old, 5'11", and I only weight about 130lbs. It's not that I'm lazy or anything (I workout hard 3 times a week) or that I don't eat enough, I just have a super high metabolism and have always had trouble gaining muscle so I'm a pretty skinny guy regardless of the fact that I try hard to gain weight. How do people like me tend to do in boot camp?

Please give me your opinions as this is devastating me since I am very eager to join the Corp but I am not sure how someone of my body build would do in boot camp.

Thanks in advance.

If you continue to workout, continue to eat well, quality protein and carbohydrates, weightlift to put on some bulk or at least strength, you will do fine. There are different routines to do with weighlifting, some for strength, some to cut, and some that will build muscle mass. PM me if you want me to send you info on the latter.

I do not recall skinny recruites having issues in boot camp. Weak ones did, and what we called "fat bodies" did. I am sure today with PC running amok they are referring to as height and weight challenged recruits. (Just a second, I have to take a bite of my donut.) Okay, where were we? Oh, yeah, skinny recruits. Sounds like you will be okay if you keep up your preparation.

CRuss92
08-05-11, 11:13 PM
I went into boot camp at 5'11", 160, and came out at 165. In photos I looked like bean pole. Alas, no longer. At first, I had some upper body strength issues, but those went away.

Personally, if I were you I would increase food intake. But choose your foods wisely. Proteins and carbs, but stay away from junk food and poogie-bait (candy and such). Avoid going crazy on those expensive supplements as you won't be able to use them at boot camp.

What are you doing for work outs? You sound like a runner, tall and skinny. Make sure you add pull-ups, crunches, push-ups, and other calisthenic work. Some weight work won't hurt either. Build muscle, it weighs more than fat.

You are right I do have the body of a runner pretty much and I am very good at running both distance and sprints. As far as workouts go I weight lift 3 times a week in which I do bench press, incline bench, military press, tricep extensions, weighted pull ups, and weighted dips. For nutrition I try to take in roughly 3500 calories a day and I try to take in between 80-130 grams of protein daily. My problem is that I am a hardgainer so even though I keep good nutrition and work out to the point where I want to vomit I still make slow gains.

Are you ugly?

Because skinny is one thing....ugly and skinny you may have a problem....being messed with.

Seriously there are allot of Marines that are "skinny".....if you meet the height and weight standards and you can pass the PFT or IST you should be good to go.

Good Luck!

No, I'm not ugly (At least I don't think so lol), just skinny.

Thanks for the answers everyone.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-05-11, 11:35 PM
I went to Recruit Training 5'11 and 122 pounds, 3 pounds UNDERweight. Almost didn't get to go but the MEPS folks said "He'll gain weight so send him". And I did. Graduated weighing nearly 150.

Skinny dudes in some ways do better than the big ole musclebound types.

CRuss92
08-05-11, 11:44 PM
I went to Recruit Training 5'11 and 122 pounds, 3 pounds UNDERweight. Almost didn't get to go but the MEPS folks said "He'll gain weight so send him". And I did. Graduated weighing nearly 150.

Skinny dudes in some ways do better than the big ole musclebound types.

Thanks, that's a huge confidence boost.

Marine84
08-06-11, 08:59 AM
Are you ugly?

DAMMIT! There goes another laptop misshap!

Phantom Blooper
08-06-11, 11:06 AM
DAMMIT! There goes another laptop misshap!

Sorry....:cry:

How many laptops and keyboards is that since 2006?