PDA

View Full Version : IRR question

SemperBourne
08-02-11, 08:21 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question. Does the IRR get any base privileges? I have 9 more months until my 4 years of IRR are up and I just want to know if I can still go onto a marine base to get uniforms?

Vandrel
08-02-11, 10:57 PM
You'll have to get a pass, but yes. You're active duty ID will need to be turned in and changed over to a IRR ID and you'll in turn be able to get a pass. Once your IRR time is up you'll have to turn your ID in to the nearest DoD base. Most places will not allow you to have base stickers as IRR

SemperBourne
08-03-11, 09:13 AM
Thanks.

AAV Crewchief
08-03-11, 10:00 AM
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question. Does the IRR get any base privileges? I have 9 more months until my 4 years of IRR are up and I just want to know if I can still go onto a marine base to get uniforms?

You can extend on IRR too. I know that sounds nuts, but when I came into the AF reserves, all that IRR time counts towards pay. I've only got 19 years towards retirement, but for pay I just went over 4.

SemperBourne
08-03-11, 12:30 PM
So you do 4 years active, 4 years in IRR and then you can still extend your IRR? Just curious, what is the point? and how does this help with pay? I have not been active in the IRR so I don't know much about it.

SemperBourne
08-03-11, 01:13 PM
Now im interested in this..If I did 4 years active and now am in the IRR is it possible to just go active reserves but still stay in the same branch?

Vandrel
08-03-11, 05:01 PM
From what I understand, yes. In a nut shell

Marine3451
08-06-11, 08:37 PM
You have to get so many reserve points per year to qualify for retirement. You can do this by doing MCI's or going on mini deployments. MARFORRES keeps a website of a bunch of temoprary billets that IRR people can apply for ranging from a week to a year from what they told us in TAPS class

UsmcdevilMP
09-02-11, 01:45 PM
What was your MOS? There is a Marine Reserve unit in Lemoore, thought about going active Reserve?

SemperBourne
09-02-11, 11:35 PM
What was your MOS? There is a Marine Reserve unit in Lemoore, thought about going active Reserve?

Yup..I have been thinking about it but will it be hard to get back in? I was a radio operator but if I go back in I would like to change my MOS if possible. Not sure what I would like to do but I do know that I would be interested in Marine Active Reserves.

Marinefelon
09-06-11, 06:05 PM
You can extend in the IRR go to a reserve unit and drill with them and be NON obligated. Go back to IRR whenever you want SO LONG as you DO NOT take a bonus when you join that Reserve unit.

You can mobilize to active duty from the IRR for things like swim qual, rifle range, mcmap course assuming your instructor status. Help active duty units out with deployments, or staying stateside to help their remain behinds. Get paid usually FULL active pay, base, BAH, Comrats plus sometimes Per Diem as well

You can always drop back to the IRR whenever you want!

SemperBourne
09-06-11, 06:43 PM
You can extend in the IRR go to a reserve unit and drill with them and be NON obligated. Go back to IRR whenever you want SO LONG as you DO NOT take a bonus when you join that Reserve unit.

You can mobilize to active duty from the IRR for things like swim qual, rifle range, mcmap course assuming your instructor status. Help active duty units out with deployments, or staying stateside to help their remain behinds. Get paid usually FULL active pay, base, BAH, Comrats plus sometimes Per Diem as well

You can always drop back to the IRR whenever you want!

Really? So how come Marines are saying its hard to get back in? Is that only if you are trying to go active again?

Marinefelon
09-06-11, 08:10 PM
Yes I an an 0311 Sgt, with 5 years active NO broken service 18 months reserve, MANY formal schools good pro cons and currently Mobilized that I volunteered for but Can not get back on active duty because of the down size.

But if you try out for MARSOC and get selected you will AUTOMATICALLY go back to Active duty because there are no MARSOC units on the reserve side of the house

NeverQuit
09-06-11, 09:46 PM
I don't know if you would know but who can run PFT's or CFT's if you are in the IRR? I assume you have to go to the local reserve unit for it and have it sent down to MARFORRES. Any idea why MOBCOM and MARFORRES websites no longer work?

Marinefelon
09-06-11, 09:53 PM
They go up and down randomly. Yes the S-3 at a reserve unit can run PFT's and CFT's and forward them to MOBCOM for you. Might want to call them a few days in advance so they can schedule you a time.

NeverQuit
09-06-11, 11:40 PM
Thanks.

SemperBourne
09-09-11, 03:48 PM
On my DD 214 there is a command to which I am transferred to for IRR I think. It reads MOBCOM ANDREWS ROAD KANSAS CITY MO. Does this mean that if I want to do anything with the IRR I have to go to the address? Unfortunately I live in California and I dont want to go out of state all the time. Is there a way to do IRR somewhere closer?

NeverQuit
09-09-11, 06:39 PM
When you decide to drill you should go to the closest reserve station that holds your particular MOS. You will just be put on their roster. Or so I have been told.

Marinefelon
09-10-11, 08:58 PM
MOBCOM is Kansas City HQ of 4th Mar DIV (reserve) you ONLY go there if you are Recalled.

Just call a prior service recruiter in your area. Google them "usmc prior service recruiter" You can go to a reserve unit by you with your MOS or if you are MOS mismatched like I was you might just get thrown in the supply warehouse, or field mess (something that you can OJT) They will let you lat move too.

Just ask the PSR if you lat move if you are still Non-Ob

Juicemang
09-13-11, 11:24 PM
Yup, I've been through all of this. I was in the IRR for a year before I contacted a PSR and hooked up with a local reserve unit. If the unit doesn't rate your MOS, as previously said, they will usually OJT you to work in supply or something. Keep in mind that when you drill, you typically will be doing annual training requirements instead of MOS-specific tasks.

Anyway, I drilled with a reserve unit for about a year and a half as a non-obligor. It's pretty nice, because you actually dictate things yourself - much different than active duty. If you can't make a drill, you can make up the days at a later time. During my time in the SMCR, I traveled to Washington D.C., Quantico, Gettysburg, and several different training facilities in Michigan. I also took orders and flew down to Lejeune for a few days for a class. (Which turned out to be an epic fail due to heavy snow fall....in Jacksonville, wtf?!) I recently dropped back to the IRR due to an insane workload at school this semester. My IRR time ends in May, but I will definitely be extending.

I highly recommend staying affiliated with the Marine Corps, even if you just stay in the IRR. There are a ton of opportunities available for IRR Marines, it's just the matter of putting some effort in to looking up billets and making some calls to get the ball rolling.

As far as going AR, you'll just need to get with your local PSR. They will have the info for local AR billets if they're available.

Hope that helps, S/F!