PDA

View Full Version : Top Secret Security Clearance

PooleeZBrown
08-02-11, 02:09 PM
Afternoon Marines, I have a question concerning the questions to be eligible for a top secret security clearance. Two years ago, my dad borrowed my car and got hit by a train, he was paralyzed from the waste down. This was my junior year of high school and I was struggling for companionship. During this time I contemplated with suicide and I wanted to see if I was capable of it. I am a strong Christian, and I realized that God would get me out of that. Thankfully, He did. And through that, I am stronger and I know that I would not commit suicide. But on the top secret security clearance, (I'm trying for Intel 02XX), it has a section about past suicidal tendencies and attempted suicides. Now, have I ever had thoughts of suicide? Yes. Would I ever commit suicide after going though it all once? No. I never received medical or pharmaceutical treatment. Am I still eligible for a top secret security clearance? Should I tell my recruiters or just wait and tell the investigators?

Kegler300
08-02-11, 04:44 PM
Adjudicative Guidelines for Determining Eligibility for Access to Classified Information

Guideline I:
Psychological Conditions

27. The Concern. Certain emotional, mental, and personality conditions can impair judgment, reliability, or trustworthiness. A formal diagnosis of a disorder is not required for there to be a concern under this guideline. A duly qualified mental health professional (e.g., clinical psychologist or psychiatrist) employed by, or acceptable to and approved by the U.S. Government, should be consulted when evaluating potentially disqualifying and mitigating information under this guideline. No negative inference concerning the standards in this Guideline may be raised solely on the basis of seeking mental health counseling.

28. Conditions that could raise a security concern and may be disqualifying include:

(a) behavior that casts doubt on an individual's judgment, reliability, or trustworthiness that is not covered under any other guideline, including but not limited to emotionally unstable, irresponsible, dysfunctional, violent, paranoid, or bizarre behavior;

(b) an opinion by a duly qualified mental health professional that the individual has a condition not covered under any other guideline that may impair judgment, reliability, or trustworthiness;

(c) the individual has failed to follow treatment advice related to a diagnosed emotional, mental, or personality condition, e.g. failure to take prescribed medication.

29. Conditions that could mitigate security concerns include:

(a) the identified condition is readily controllable with treatment, and the individual has demonstrated ongoing and consistent compliance with the treatment plan;

(b) the individual has voluntarily entered a counseling or treatment program for a condition that is amenable to treatment, and the individual is currently receiving counseling or treatment with a favorable prognosis by a duly qualified mental health professional;

(c) recent opinion by a duly qualified mental health professional employed by, or acceptable to and approved by the U.S. Government that an individual's previous condition is under control or in remission, and has a low probability of recurrence or exacerbation;

(d) the past emotional instability was a temporary condition (e.g., one caused by a death, illness, or marital breakup), the situation has been resolved, and the individual no longer shows indications of emotional instability;

(e) there is no indication of a current problem.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-03-11, 12:28 AM
Since you only contemplated and never acted on it, or were ever treated for it, seen by a medical professional, my answer would be 'Don't tell'. Just thinking about something is a whole lot different than actually carrying it out. Or attempting it.

This is one of the very, very, few times I'd advise keeping my mouth shut about it.

And I understand the lack of profile in this particular situation.

Closing this one as asked and answered.

PM me.