PDA

View Full Version : Budget Cuts and concerns...

TStepanek
08-01-11, 09:54 PM
I know it is far too early to speculate and head all the hear-say about the proposed budget cuts the in the 'deal' struck by the greedy and the other greedy in Washington, but I've heard a LOT of scary stuff.

Lots of recommendations that the Marines as we know it will be assimilated into the Army as more of a "specialized amphibious warfare group".

I know that seems far fetched and the USMC has often had to justify its existence, but even my grandfather (92y/o) said he cant remember times this troubling for America... and with the way sleazy politics work these days, I've come to realize ANYTHING can happen.

I signed my contract back in February of this year with a ship date of October 3rd. Since I signed, we killled Osama Bin Laden, Obama announced the troop drawdown and time table, and now all this talk of drastic defense budget cuts and military re-structuring... I'm still cant wait to leave for P.I., I'm still training as hard as I can. But I gotta say, I'm more nervous about what my role may or may not be once I (and Godwilling, I do) get through.

Anyone else have similar concerns? I cant be alone on this one...

IHaveEGA843
08-01-11, 11:01 PM
I try not to pay the political game no attention, **** just is to stupid and lacks so much common sense. I'm done with the political party stuff, all of them lie so why be loyal to them if they can't be loyal to those that elected them.

Well there's been talks of disbanding the Corps and even merging the Corps with the Army. **** sucks either way but if they ever did that I still want to earn my title before any of those things happen. If I ever had to put on Army ACUs with the beret I'd have already done my enlistment in the Corps MarPat and 8 point cover. Just like the screen said at MEPS, I'm already committed to the USMC. No if ands or buts, I'm going to become a Marine. **** what those greedy civilians think........Soon2HaveEGA will have it placed in his hands 3 months after I first touch down on those foot prints in Oct.

Stay motivated, cut out all that bs, and continue to becoming apart of a Organinzation they truly want to becme the motto of "The Few. The Proud".

PNW2011
08-01-11, 11:54 PM
don't worry about what you can't control

AZTony
08-02-11, 10:32 AM
The day our government cuts out the Marine Corps is the day we are seriously ****ed big time.

Honestly, TStepanek, I wouldn't worry about the Marine Corps being cut from the budget or merged with the Army. I do not see this happening... ever.

JWJohnsonIII
08-02-11, 11:09 AM
There's actually been a movement for a long time to separate the Marine Corps from the Navy and make it its own official branch of the military. This is the first I've heard of combining with the Army. Any links y'all could share?

MunkyVsRobot
08-02-11, 12:23 PM
While I doubt it will happen the army already had tried to absorb the Marines before. I dont have exact sources as to when and where they have tried, I just know that they have tried.

I doubt they will absorb them or take them over, but this isnt really something to be worried over.

Brittany0614
08-02-11, 01:33 PM
Do you honestly see any Marine letting that happen? Theres no way they will accept being one of "the few" and then getting merged. It just wont happen. If they want to merge any branches they better not touch the toughest one, cause those Washington sleazebags will be in for an asswhoopin. Keep you head high kid, nothing's happening to the Corps. :)

jwmacdon1231
08-02-11, 01:47 PM
I would just focus on the task at hand. That being your's/our attainment of that coveted EGA. Let the higher-ups deal with that stuff while we become Marines and do our part in serving our country.

Nj St Of Mind
08-02-11, 05:55 PM
At the end of the day our jobs will be to take orders no matter where they come from. We fellow it to the letter. If you haven't noticed things are already different just by the way they are bringing people in. I met an officer early this year, and he told me about how he tried to re-enlist but because of 'Down sizing' he couldn't, this was back then probably early 90s or late 80's.

Well from what I am aware of the Marines are Down Sizing right now. Either way things thats going on in Congress still take a lot of time to phase over, just focus on Boot Camp and then whatever your job is after that.

Right now our government is a huge mess. And things are going to get even crazier with the up coming election.

Skyfish
08-03-11, 08:26 AM
For those who are interested in an inside perspective on the various attempts to absorb or dissolve the Corps, check out "First to Fight: An Inside View of the U.S. Marine Corps" by Victor "Brute" Krulak (general, USMC, ret.). It's interesting, reads fairly quickly, and offers some keen insight on the past, and thus also the present, of the Corps.

Buhler
08-03-11, 03:47 PM
From what I've heard all the talk of downsizing really only applies to those who are trying to re-enlist but have less than favorable records, as well as people who are trying to enlist with drug histories, arrests, stuff like that. It's not so much they're drastically cutting people out, but they're making the screening processes tougher so that less people are eligible and therefore there are actually less in the Corps.

IHaveEGA843
08-03-11, 06:36 PM
^^^^2x <br />
<br />
Waivers are harder to come by now a days. Those who are trying to re-up after being out a couple years are being told no. My Recruiter said, &quot;The Corps wants new fresh young blood.....It...