PDA

View Full Version : Any help is helpful

brogers1996
08-01-11, 08:22 PM
:flag: im a son of a us marine and ive grown up around the corp all my life and at 15 years of age im and setting my goal as getting through high school and becoming a marine. But, i still sadley have 2 years till i can make that step officially. I am looking for advice on how to prep myself for what to expect. Im 40 pounds over weight to what will be accepted by the corp but i have 2 years to get it off me so figured wtf go ahead and start early... you know be "ahead" of the game. so any advice on how to knock this 40 pounds off me will be helpful. Ive also been doing about 100 push ups and 500 situps a day. so any help anybody and drop on me will be helpful thank you.

Friend,
Brandon Rogers

sparkie
08-01-11, 08:29 PM
Get better,,,,,,, and stay clean.

Apache
08-01-11, 08:29 PM
Have you asked your family doctor ?
Sounds like the excercize is in place
Keep us posted on your progress

brogers1996
08-01-11, 08:33 PM
well i figured wtf my as well start now... and i will keep you all posted on how everything is going... im in a weight lifting class next year for high school and going to start running(hate it) abt 5 miles a day and as time goes on ill up my reps and **** but i just wanted to get any advice from marines that have been where i am and know what i need to do.

brogers1996
08-01-11, 08:45 PM
Have you asked your family doctor ?
Sounds like the excercize is in place
Keep us posted on your progress
ask family doctor about what?

Bobbyd113
08-01-11, 08:49 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44273&highlight=weight+loss

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29787

The second thread is the first thread by Accord, This motivated me like no other, I started last week and am down 8 lbs so far. There is a LOT of information in both threads. Hope this helps, keep us posted.

brogers1996
08-01-11, 09:01 PM
that is freaking insane! that really makes me wanna bust my ass 10x harder than ever! thank you for that **** maybe ill do that.... but woooooow

brogers1996
08-01-11, 09:07 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44273&highlight=weight+loss

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29787

The second thread is the first thread by Accord, This motivated me like no other, I started last week and am down 8 lbs so far. There is a LOT of information in both threads. Hope this helps, keep us posted.
what you been doing to lose weight?

Bobbyd113
08-01-11, 09:31 PM
a few pages in he describes the 10 calorie for every lb rule which states you should eat 10 calories per lb you weigh and you adjust every 10 lbs also the HIIT routine which is balls out run or bike for one min and a rest for one and also lift heavy weights to gain lean muscle which aids in fast loss

brogers1996
08-01-11, 11:46 PM
What is basic all about I've heard it's nothing but running.... But then I've heard it was fairly easy so what is it about?

Bobbyd113
08-02-11, 12:46 AM
Its not basic its boot camp and I can't help you there

brogers1996
08-02-11, 02:00 AM
Yeah that's what I ment boot camp and how old are you Bobby?

Bobbyd113
08-02-11, 02:05 AM

brogers1996
08-02-11, 02:10 AM
So you don't have long till your in huh

Bobbyd113
08-02-11, 02:15 AM
Just this last year of highschool as long as I whip my self into shape.:D

FistFu68
08-02-11, 04:08 AM
:evilgrin: Can You SWIM? Or have access too a Pool? If so Swim,a Few Lap's if You can every Day,or If You have access too a Field,(GRASS Or ASTRO TURF)Do not Run on Concrete,or do The Bleachers at School (STEPS) Up and Down,alot!!! Do Wind Sprints,Like 40 Yrds Full Speed,Keep increasing about every Week or So till You can Do a 100 Yrd's like Your getting Shot At...Eat Nothing from Taco Bell or out of a F**king Mickey D's Bag!!!Drink alot of H-2-0,No BEER,No Smoking WEED, Or Gig's and Git Your Mind Right,You'll do Fine YoungBuck,Pain is Just weakness leaving The Body!!! GodLuck and GodSpeed keep Us Posted :thumbup::iwo:

MOS4429
08-02-11, 06:19 PM
:flag: im a son of a us marine and ive grown up around the corp all my life and at 15 years of age im and setting my goal as getting through high school and becoming a marine. But, i still sadley have 2 years till i can make that step officially. I am looking for advice on how to prep myself for what to expect. Im 40 pounds over weight to what will be accepted by the corp but i have 2 years to get it off me so figured wtf go ahead and start early... you know be "ahead" of the game. so any advice on how to knock this 40 pounds off me will be helpful. Ive also been doing about 100 push ups and 500 situps a day. so any help anybody and drop on me will be helpful thank you.

Friend,
Brandon Rogers

First of all, it is not the corp. That is an abbreviation for a corporation, and the Marine Corps is not a corporation. So if you are not going to type out Marine Corps and shortcut it, capitilize it and spell it right: Corps.

Second, you say, "sadley have 2 years till I can make that step officially." High school right now might seem sad, but you can use it to prepare you for the Marine Corps. The better you do academically, the better you will score on your ASVAB, and quite frankly, the Marine Corps is getting more selective, so in addition to physical exercise, focus on your studies, too.

Thirdly, read. You state in your profile you do not read. I do not mean to be disrespectful, but your grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are not particularly good. In the Marine Corps, you will be reading a lot. In addition, reading is a great educational tool. I was a slow reader and didn't like it much, but the more I read, the better I was at it, the more I learned, and it helped me in other areas of academics.

Fourthly, as far as the losing weight and physical fitness part, there are a lot of posts on the site regarding this. Do some searching on the forums and you will find past advice on what you are seeking. The bottom line is to lose weight, consume fewer calories than you burn off. With any exercise plan, start slowly and build up into it. Do aerobic work mostly. Fast anaerobic running will put your body into preservation mode and you will burn fewer calories. You want to run with your heart rate in the 130 to 160 range. It can go higher, but you will burn more calories in that range. Once you lose the weight you want to lose, you can start running faster.

You hate to run you say. Ride a bike, swim as has been suggested. Start off with doing 25 yard laps on 40 or 50 seconds, which means swim the lap and if it takes you 25 or 30 seconds, then you rest for the remainder before you resume. Start with 10, build it up to 15, then 20. Then go to 50s on, say, 60 seconds. Go to a gym and use an elliptical cycle where you can increase resistance and monitor your heart rate.

Keep in mind muscle weighs more than fat. If you weightlift, you may not lose quite as fast as you want to, but you will gain muscle, which is better than fat and burns more calories.

The bottom line is you just need to get a plan and then stick with it. Even if it is not the best plan in the world, consistency is the key.

Tennessee Top
08-02-11, 11:06 PM
The word Marine is always capitalized.

You may hate running but get used to it as you will be doing a LOT of it. When you are doing if for score, somebody will be holding a stopwatch (meaning you will not be able to take your time).

brogers1996
08-02-11, 11:55 PM
Well thank you all for the advice. I also mean no disrespect, but thank you all and I am surely busting my ass to do this. I can't see doing anything else.

brogers1996
08-03-11, 12:00 AM
:evilgrin: Can You SWIM? Or have access too a Pool? If so Swim,a Few Lap's if You can every Day,or If You have access too a Field,(GRASS Or ASTRO TURF)Do not Run on Concrete,or do The Bleachers at School (STEPS) Up and Down,alot!!! Do Wind Sprints,Like 40 Yrds Full Speed,Keep increasing about every Week or So till You can Do a 100 Yrd's like Your getting Shot At...Eat Nothing from Taco Bell or out of a F**king Mickey D's Bag!!!Drink alot of H-2-0,No BEER,No Smoking WEED, Or Gig's and Git Your Mind Right,You'll do Fine YoungBuck,Pain is Just weakness leaving The Body!!! GodLuck and GodSpeed keep Us Posted :thumbup::iwo:

I can swim and do ever chance I get. I don't really eat fast food, can't stand the taste. Smoking weed that's funny my father would make me apart of the ground. Thank you for the advice. I will surely do every thing you all tell me to do with out a problem.

Gulleysaurus
08-03-11, 03:57 AM
I don't think I read this in anyone else's reply, but do reps of pull-ups as well as your push-ups. You won't be tested on push-ups in the Marine Corps, but they're going to want you to do as many pull-ups as you possibly can. They're different muscle groups, so while push-ups will, without a doubt, help you; you won't get the same benefit as doing pull-ups.

Also, try to do them overhand. You'll understand why when you do.

brogers1996
08-03-11, 02:50 PM
will do. thank you all for the help.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-06-11, 03:38 AM
Moved to 'Ask', which is the more proper section for this.

chulaivet1966
08-06-11, 07:23 AM
F The bottom line is to lose weight, consume fewer calories than you burn off. With any exercise plan, start slowly and build up into it. Do aerobic work mostly. Fast anaerobic running will put your body into preservation mode and you will burn fewer calories. You want to run with your heart rate in the 130 to 160 range. It can go higher, but you will burn more calories in that range. Once you lose the weight you want to lose, you can start running faster.
The bottom line is you just need to get a plan and then stick with it. Even if it is not the best plan in the world, consistency is the key.

This ^^^^^^

Also....stay away from all processed foods like white bread, processed meats, empty calorie cold cereals. all sodas/twinkies and similar poisons.
Study/educate yourself about nutrition:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Shut off your carb intake (fruits, grains, legumes, potatoes, pastas) late afternoon and have only lean meat and vegetables for dinner.
Weight lifting is good and carrying more muscle speeds up the metabolism.
Find a routine and stick with the program over time.

Good luck...carry on...