PDA

View Full Version : Do Reserve Marines get free college?

Darklordit
08-01-11, 09:19 AM
Good afternoon Marine,
I have a couple about Reserved Marines.
1.) do you get free college?
2.) DO you get to pick the college where your going or do you get stationed and then they choose the college thats closest?
3.) How does the payment go?

Thank you for your time.

iamspartacus
08-01-11, 09:22 AM
http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_info/Info/Text/Reserves/Reserve_Menu.htm

Darklordit
08-01-11, 09:34 AM
http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_info/Info/Text/Reserves/Reserve_Menu.htm

Ok thank you Sgt

Sgt Leprechaun
08-01-11, 07:04 PM
And it's "RESERVE" Marines. Not 'Reserved'. We aren't a parking space.

Darklordit
08-01-11, 10:21 PM
And it's "RESERVE" Marines. Not 'Reserved'. We aren't a parking space.
Oh sorry wasn't aware Sgt I wont make the mistake again.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-01-11, 10:48 PM
LOL. Fixed the title for you.

Darklordit
08-01-11, 10:51 PM
LOL. Fixed the title for you.
thank you sir.

DIMAS86
08-02-11, 01:19 AM
hey bub. Although i advise against going reserve, i'm currently killing time with a reserve unit. I cam from the active side of things, so i dont know all the ins and outs, but from what i hear around here, the more times you get activated, the more they pay for school. But i am sure the link Sgt. Leprechaun helped with that. NOW, with the others... you pick what reserve unit you serve with. but keep in mind, you only get paid for the weekends you "drill". As a E-4, i made about $225 a weekend, so if youre looking to have the Marines be your main sorce of income, unless you wanna live out of your car, you should write off the reserves and go active. Plus, reserve guys get alot of crap from active bubba's for being tampons (they only work once a month).

Darklordit
08-02-11, 02:00 PM
hey bub. Although i advise against going reserve, i'm currently killing time with a reserve unit. I cam from the active side of things, so i dont know all the ins and outs, but from what i hear around here, the more times you get activated, the more they pay for school. But i am sure the link Sgt. Leprechaun helped with that. NOW, with the others... you pick what reserve unit you serve with. but keep in mind, you only get paid for the weekends you "drill". As a E-4, i made about $225 a weekend, so if youre looking to have the Marines be your main sorce of income, unless you wanna live out of your car, you should write off the reserves and go active. Plus, reserve guys get alot of crap from active bubba's for being tampons (they only work once a month).
The reason why i'm think about going reserve is so that I can be a Marine but be in college full time to get a 4 year degree.

DIMAS86
08-02-11, 02:14 PM
I hear ya, but unless mommy and daddy are paying your bills, youll have to have another source of income. $200 a month aint ganna cut it. And keep in mind you have 2 week drills throughout the year. 2 or 3. AND you get activated, so plan on missing out on at least 3-5 semesters during your 6 year contract.

Darklordit
08-02-11, 02:23 PM
I hear ya, but unless mommy and daddy are paying your bills, youll have to have another source of income. $200 a month aint ganna cut it. And keep in mind you have 2 week drills throughout the year. 2 or 3. AND you get activated, so plan on missing out on at least 3-5 semesters during your 6 year contract.
Ok thanks for the info sir means alot.

TheReservist
08-02-11, 03:49 PM
Just because you go reserves doesn't mean that you will get into a college. You will have to apply to the prospective university that you would like to attend. Also to answers your questions:

1.) do you get free college? - You will still have to pay for college. If your thinking about joining and using the reserve GI bill, well it sucks. It's only about $300 a month compared to getting the tuition payed for (up to the highest public university, capped at $17,500) by the post 9/11 GI Bill. You're only going to get the Post 9/11 GI bill by getting activated for deployment more than 90 days.

2.) DO you get to pick the college where your going or do you get stationed and then they choose the college thats closest? Like I said before, College and the Marines are totally different. You will have to apply to the college you want to go to. You may not get accepted to the college. You can get an option of the reserve unit that you want to go to but you will have to choose an MOS based on billet openings that the unit has.

3.) How does the payment go? Payment from the Marines to yourself is payed by direct deposit. If you join and also get into a college then it depends on what GI bill you use but that's based on a different organization, the Veterans Affairs.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-02-11, 04:48 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Reservist. Take heed, as TR (above) is actually DOING this now, so it's the voice of experience you are getting here.

Darklordit
08-02-11, 04:51 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Reservist. Take heed, as TR (above) is actually DOING this now, so it's the voice of experience you are getting here.
yes sir I appreciate any advice that I get here I also PM'd him for some more detailed info thanks for the help.