PDA

View Full Version : I need help enlisting in the Marines!

JHEAD9427
07-31-11, 11:32 PM
Before you read, I understand this is long, so bear with me if you will, this is important to me:
For years now I've been wanting to become a Marine. When I was 12 I decided I wanted to become a Marine. I've been going to the weekly poolee functions, memorizing ranks, Rifle Creed, Core Values, 11 General Orders, practicing left/right/about face, anything my mind thought of. Doing my own PT. Putting all this to practice. I am 17 now and still I want to become a Marine. As soon as my junior year was over I went to get the Delayed Entry process started. I went to MEPS once to get medically processed, all good. I got an 80 on the ASVAB, GT score of 120 or so. But I couldn't get sworn in because of a case that happened over a year and a half ago.

The case was a domestic violence misdemeanor between my mother and I. Argument-->she's hitting me-->I push her away=that push equals aggression. I spoke with a juvenile attorney provided and had diversion (14 hours community service and $25 fine). Soon enough in my family that case was forgotten, hold on to the good, forget the bad. Later on I was in a school fight which this gangster kid tried to impress his friends, and failed. I just grabbed his arm and made him go down 'til teachers arrived. Teachers are good at assuming and we both get suspended, had to go through diversion again BUT THIS TIME I took it to court because...what the H? right? I even had the same juvenile attorney defend me through this whole case. So court's over, I'm declared innocent and no diversion for me. I'm glad I took it to court.

But the only thing that held me back from swearing in is the diversion I went through for the problem with my mother. I contacted the juvenile attorney, who by the way was impressed and glad as well that I took the school fight to court and I got declared innocent. Anyways I contacted her because I feel she can help me in this enlistment process. She's trying to do whatever she can, as is my recruiter, to enlist me. My recruiter, he's really going out on a limb for me. He was honest, told me he was told by those in Seattle to not even deal with me anymore, but he's helping me out. He told me to be patient, and time I have. He, well, my recruiter is a good Marine.

I already got the police report of the incident and gave it to him. I've been told the case doesn't fall under the Lautenberg Amendment. It is the mere fact that I went through diversion that is holding me back. I understand that diversion=guilty, but honestly, no way in hell would I have gone to court against my mother. I really hate that because of one case my personality is being assumed by someone who doesn't know me. Anything else I can do to help out my chances of just getting the opportunity to earn the title of United States Marine.?
Don't get me wrong, high respects to all of this nations Armed Forces. I've spoken with Army recruiters, my second plan. If in any case I have to go Army, I will try and become an Army Ranger, because I know I can. I've been practicing the physical, mental, and moral strength trying to prepare for the Marines. I just don't know what it is about the Marines that I want so much. Next time my recruiter brings the subject up (because I must be patient, he's a busy man) I will ask him if writing a personal letter and putting it in the large file that goes up to Seattle (for anyone that knows what I'm referring to, folder that has all your info.) if that would help. Because to those up in Seattle I am just one out of thousands. Just a number. Not knowing me makes it easy to assume the type of person I am not. This diversion is how I messed up my life long goal, but I just pray to God that He help me out here, and I'll do anything I can, because I believe where there's a will there's a way and in faith.
Until the bottom line is "NO" and I have to go Army, I'll try and get the opportunity for US Marine.
Anything else I can do, or should I just be patient?
Thank you so much for any and honest words, and God bless.

m14ed
08-01-11, 04:14 AM
nice job completing your profile youngster.

What have your recruiters said to your questions ?
They are familiar with most all of the ins and outs on the whole
situation.

Tennessee Top
08-01-11, 11:34 AM
Unfortunately, sounds like you are at the mercy of the system. You also have bad timing because of the drawdown, there are more than enough applicants out there with spotless juvenile records. The recruiting command's attitude may be they don't need to waste their time on your case. Never been a recruiter so can't give you any advice on improving your chances of being accepted. Really, all you can do is follow your recruiter's advice and hope for the best. Good luck and let us know the final word.

afraziaaaa
08-01-11, 01:44 PM
Any domestic violence is normally an automatic disqualifier for ANY military service.

How does the domestic case with your mother NOT fall under the lautenberg amendment?

thewookie
08-01-11, 02:05 PM
Try the Army.

Good luck

afraziaaaa
08-01-11, 02:14 PM
Try the Army.

Good luck

Don't do that just yet. I am not fully convinced that you are disqualified from the Marine Corps...nor am I convinced that you are qualified for any service!

I hope you can prove me wrong on the lautenberg amendment question, because if you can, it wouldn't be too hard to enlist you over here in 1st MCD. 12th MCD (where Seattle is) may be a different story. Without getting past the lautenberg hurdle though, you aren't getting into any service.

Also, any letters you provide for purposes of clarifying your case are going to have to be either from a judge, DA or ADA.

MOS4429
08-01-11, 05:49 PM
Can you please explain why it is that your entire post actually is a link to a book on Amazon????

That immediately draws suspicion in my mind that you are a troll.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-01-11, 07:14 PM
OK, I've removed the link nonsense. I'm going to take a chance and AZZume the poster is serious, it's an awful lot of writing for a spammer.

Bottom line, IF you have a 'not guilty' verdict, then Lautenberg shouldn't apply. Anything else is going to be an issue. SSgt will correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, SSgt, please let me know if this kid has responded in any way to you, or anyone else here for that matter. That will determine if I'm going to dump this one or not.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-01-11, 07:27 PM
Lol

MOS4429
08-01-11, 07:33 PM
Well...maybe a mole!

But Dave, you can correct me if I am wrong, diversion is just that, divert it from prosecution so the minor ends up with no conviction. It is a contract between the minor and usually probation to perform certain tasks that involve community service, etc. The minor stipulates the facts are true, but only is referred back to prosecution if he/she fails diversion.

So when this person says diversion = guilt, that is not accurate at all.

JHEAD9427
08-01-11, 08:28 PM
What are you talking about?! My name is Angel Gonzalez, I am 17, trying to enlist in the Marine Corps. This is my story, I'm dead serious, how, in any way, does this have anything to do with Amazon?

JHEAD9427
08-01-11, 08:33 PM
Yes, I am serious. And I did send a message to a Staff Sergeant Lamie, who is helping me with a few questions I have. As for diversion not being guilty, then what exactly is it? I did all the community service (14 hours) over a year and a half ago. Are you telling me that it is the mere fact that this happened that is currently holding me back?

Sgt Leprechaun
08-01-11, 08:54 PM
Number one, yes. Number two, your entire post was a link to the Amazon website. I've fixed THAT.

And be aware of your 'tone' here. Dave and others are attempting to HELP. Attitude here will get you tossed, just that simple. Understand?

MOS4429
08-02-11, 01:30 PM
Since I appear to be the only former staff sergeant who has posted on this thread, then I assume you are calling me "Lamie," and let me tell you something, young man, when I read your original...

JHEAD9427
08-02-11, 02:07 PM
With all due respect Staff Sergeant, you are not Staff Sergeant Lamie that I contacted. I contacted him through a message. You "assumed" this was so, and thus, this ^ happens. Assuming only makes an...

MOS4429
08-02-11, 03:12 PM
You're welcome, JH9427. So, yeah, sh!+ happens!

Your last paragraph will most likely be your best course of action. Now, I ASSUME you had a public defender - and there is nothing wrong with that - I know a lot of PD's and they fight for their clients, but they are some busy, overworked people, too.

From other posts on this site, there are many who are saying due to the scaling down of the military, including the Marine Corps, and due to unemployment many are electing to stay in the Marine Corps, and from what I hear, many enter the doors of a recruiter's office wanting to join.

Your diversion, even if sealed, dismissed, or whatever course they take in your state, could still be an obstacle for you. I could envision - or ASSUME - that a recruiter, if they are becoming more selective at who they choose and allow in, given a kid or two with no history of offenses versus one who has a history, albeit maybe minimal, that recruiter just may not feel the need to work as hard for the one with the record because she does not need to.

So you sound like a youngster who knows what he wants, and you may have to be very persistent in obtaining it.

I worked temporary recruiting duty once, and a young man walked in. I still remember his last name. Pudhammer, and I could only imagine what DI's would do with a Private Pudhammer, but he wanted to join the Marine Corps. I gave him a screening test and he demonstrated the intelligence of a rock. So rather than giving him direction on what to study and spending time on him, I invited him to walk two doors down and enter on the left. That was the Army recruiter.

Once again, good luck.

JHEAD9427
08-03-11, 03:05 PM
I want to thank all of you for the help and advice you've given me here.
I came here looking from straightforward and honest advice, and who better to get that from than United States Marines.
I WILL try and do everything I've been advised to here, I even printed this forum so I don't forget anything.
Becoming a Marine is probably the only thing I've been sure of for the past years. People ask me why I want to do it so bad, and even I have yet to come up with a certain answer. Country. Honor. Become part of The Legacy. All those are true, but even then. The one thing I don't have an exact answer to is the only thing I'm 110% sure of. I just want one opportunity. And even that is at risk now.
But be that as it may, I will try absolutely everything I can, because if in the end it doesn't work out, I just want to be sure that I did absolutely everything I could.
So here goes. I will keep posted as to how everything goes.

Thank you all, for your service to this Country, and for your help to me.
God bless.

MOS4429
08-03-11, 03:23 PM
"People ask me why I want to do it so bad, and even I have yet to come up with a certain answer."

I was visiting my dad before going to boot camp. He was with the 101st Airborne during Korea. He asked me why the Marine Corps instead of the Army. I paused a bit, thought about it, and simply replied, "Dad, if I am going to go in the military, I can't see joining anything but the best." He thought about it a minute (still see him. He always sat on the floor in front of the couch), stared at the floor a bit, and then looked up and simply said, "you're right."

Marine3451
08-03-11, 04:32 PM
I wish I could get on here as much as I used to but the IT people blocked this site from Marine Corps computers. I am surprised no one called out the OP on his user name yet. You are not a Jarhead yet motivator but I do wish you luck in your journey to become one of us. Just a little inside info on how rough things are getting HQMC put out a MarAdmin today pretty much telling everyone that you have 10 years to pick up SSgt or you will be forced out. That is down from 13 years. The downsizing is already taking effect and with the economy crashing recruiting is going to become even more selective in my opinion. Marines lead by example so work hard and try to overcome your adversity. That is the best advice I can give you. You can't change the past but you can have an effect on your future by the decisions you make today.

Marine1011
08-03-11, 04:41 PM
No wonder IT blocked the site, should you be on the computer on company time? No, you should be doing your job.
And who cares if Jarhead uses that username? Everyone knows he isn't in the Corps, so where's the harm done?

Marine3451
08-03-11, 05:31 PM
No wonder IT blocked the site, should you be on the computer on company time? No, you should be doing your job.
And who cares if Jarhead uses that username? Everyone knows he isn't in the Corps, so where's the harm done?

First off, My job requires that i sit behind a computer for 9 hours a day. It takes me 30 min total everyday to do my work so If I have to stay at that computer anyway who cares if I answer some potential recruits questions. My office doesnt care what I do as long as my work is done which it always is. Why harp on me questioning his choice of user name considering the rest of my post I think was useful information. It is my personal opinion that if you havent earned the title yet you shouldnt use terms such as devil dog and jarhead. Please in the future if want to send me a nasty gram please do it in a PM.

Marine1011
08-03-11, 07:22 PM
I apologize for mentioning those two things, did not mean to hurt your feelings at all. Sorry. Your computer use on company time is your business. And yes, we should all call the original poster out.
Semper fi.

afraziaaaa
08-04-11, 05:26 PM
OK, I've removed the link nonsense. I'm going to take a chance and AZZume the poster is serious, it's an awful lot of writing for a spammer.

Bottom line, IF you have a 'not guilty' verdict, then Lautenberg shouldn't apply. Anything else is going to be an issue. SSgt will correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, SSgt, please let me know if this kid has responded in any way to you, or anyone else here for that matter. That will determine if I'm going to dump this one or not.

He never responded to me. And generally, you are correct. However, the Marine Corps views any type of diversion or counseling or "youthful offender" as a guilty verdict. There are a lot of gray areas with this. If it was outright "dismissed" then he should be good to go.

Sealing the records will not do anything. Those arrests will come up on the ENTNAC (FBI check) regardless if any local agency seals, sends them in a message in a bottle across the pacific, flushes them down the toilet, lights them on fire, etc. I constantly run across the problem of attorneys and judges advising people to not say anything to anybody about their case because "it was sealed" or "i was a juvenile" or "it was expunged". Where anytime you were arrested and booked/fingerprinted is concerned, NONE of that matters! The FBI never forgets and WE WILL FIND OUT!

JHEAD9427
08-04-11, 09:13 PM
Exactly. I was told by a diversion counselor to not say anything about it because it was sealed. However, at MEPS I was simply asked if I've ever gone through diversion. (What's the point of wanting to become a Marine if I was to become a dishonest one). So I told the truth, I said yes. And that brought me here. Was it worth it? Well hell, the FBI was probably going to find out anyways, so I guess so.

afraziaaaa
08-05-11, 11:44 AM
Exactly. I was told by a diversion counselor to not say anything about it because it was sealed. However, at MEPS I was simply asked if I've ever gone through diversion. (What's the point of wanting to become a Marine if I was to become a dishonest one). So I told the truth, I said yes. And that brought me here. Was it worth it? Well hell, the FBI was probably going to find out anyways, so I guess so.

Ok, so what are the next steps for you? I looked you up in the system and you are not medically disqualified. It says that they are waiting for your court documents so they can run a waiver. Have you done everything your recruiter has asked? Given him all the paperwork he has asked for?

JHEAD9427
08-05-11, 04:45 PM
Yes. I am doing exactly what my Recruiter tells me to do. So far he has only asked for the police report. I went and asked for it, they said that they couldn't give it to me being the offender, but I said it was for enlistment purposes and I got it and gave it to Sgt. Wetter. He explained to me that this will take time and to be patient, so I will. Plus I'm sure being a Recruiter is a busy, busy job. But even then, I went ahead and did THIS to get advice from other Marines. So I printed out ALL this forum and have contacted my attorney again asking her about the case being dismissed/sealed AND I asked her about getting any and every single piece of court documents on this case that I can get a hold of. Thankfully both Sgt. Wetter and my attorney are helping me here, as is the Marines helping me here.

afraziaaaa
08-08-11, 08:17 AM
You need a simple waiver, I don't understand what the big deal is? It's not like you are a 30 year old felon with an illegitimate child. Go get a certificate of disposition for your arrest. It will come in handy later.

JHEAD9427
08-08-11, 03:59 PM
I ask myself the same question. But I guess to them up in Seattle, it's a very big deal. It's not like I'm applying for the Academy or something. But heck. And certificate of disposition, I've honestly never been told of that, but I will get right on it.

JHEAD9427
08-17-11, 01:46 PM
As I wait the whole process out, I've been trying to be proactive here, got a job, cross country team, advanced classes. Today I went to the court house to get a little more paperwork I needed, and on my way back home I thought of something, and now I'm asking: Will college improve my chances in ANY way?

School starts soon, senior year for high school. Ever since 7th grade teachers have always suggested COLLEGE FIRST, (you know, being teachers they obviously will suggest education first). Just like a Recruiter will be more for the enlistment option. And as naive as it may be, I always was for the enlistment after high school option, I always liked to picture myself better as an NCO than a CO, going for the 20 years. Again, sounds stupid, but in movies I'd see it would always be the NCO that knows what to do and the men trust. Not just in movies, but in war books and memoirs too. Nothing against CO's, I'm sure it's a very demanding job and is that way for a reason.

But now I'm really starting to reconsider what former and current teachers have advised me. What if I go to college (WSU Pullman) and take either the Platoon Leaders Class or Officer Candidate School? (Since there's only Army ROTC at WSU). Nothing against the Army either, much respect to all branches, and not to be negative on myself, just being realistic, but if the Marines eventually say no, I'll go for Army Rangers. But will college improve chances in any way?

afraziaaaa
08-17-11, 04:36 PM
College will improve your chances. Public schools receive government funding based on their students standardized test scores, graduation rate, and number sent to college. Plus college is a good thing, so there's no reason for a teacher not to advise you to go.

College FIRST on the other hand is a highly subjective opinion. It's likely that your teachers know nothing about the military. Just get all the facts FOR YOURSELF before you buy in to what your teachers/guidance counselors/or anyone says.

In your case, if you don't get in the Marine Corps, definitely go to college.

JHEAD9427
02-06-12, 08:16 PM
It's been a long time since I was last on here. Too long. A lot has happened since. I'm still at it. I decided to take "afraziaaaa"'s advice about going to college. I applied at Washington State University and the University of Idaho (for their NROTC program) and Eastern Washington University as well. Even if I don't go ROTC I can still get a commission through Platoon Leaders Class. A former teacher and good friend of mine, after years (since my high school freshman year) finally convinced me to go to college. I figured it's also the best way to help not only myself, but my family and the family I hope to someday raise AND follow the career I want at the same time.

My Recruiter, Marine Corps. Sergeant Kyle F. Wetter is really helping me out a hell lot. As far as I know, around the time I first logged on here seeking advice, he was told by the main Recruiting Station in Seattle to just leave me alone. No more. But he decided to help me, give me a shot. Requested that I get at least 5 letters of recommendation from the community, teachers, anyone who really knows me, and to have my mother write one as well as myself on why I want to become a Marine. I don't know if to you reading this is a big deal or not, but to me it's everything. Sgt. Wetter could have simply said "Oh well, I was told to leave you alone" and left it at that. But he didn't. It's one of the things that makes him the greatest Marine I've known, and I really admire him.
I'm editing my letter, I already have the others. But mine, on why I want to become a Marine, it's not easy. Don't get me wrong, I know I want to, but never really thought about putting it on paper. It's one of the few things I'm one-hundred and ten percent sure of. Over the years people question why I want to, I simply said "why not?" Be part of the brotherhood, the legacy, just saying "Marine" adds a sense of pride for everyone who has earned the title. This may be the only opportunity that I got. To the people who will be reading it I am just a number, another boy who wants to join, which is why I need to make it good. And honest.

I've had enough time to really analyze the situation. What's the worse that can happen? I have to go Army? And what? I always said that every opportunity life gisat you will only be as good as you make it. Everything in life will be only what I make of it. Whether I'd go to an academy, or a public university, Marines or Army, I get what I put in. Harvest what I plant. And I am determined to be the best that I can be regardless of what uniform I wear. If I don't get allowed in the Marine Corps. I'll be disappointed, yes, really disappointed. Angry. So bad I might even push myself harder. To prove to myself that I AM good enough. I am a very competitive person. Not to steal other people's thunder, but I just like to compete. It makes each of us better. Or maybe I'd do something like write to a senator, requesting something like a new bill, or a slight change in a law somewhere so that not only I but others like me can get an opportunity. Maybe. If I sound desperate it's because in a way I am. How can you tell someone that their lifelong dream, so much time preparing themselves to be as physically, mentally, and morally fit as possible, can't be accomplished. That it was all for nothing? Well I can answer that: YOU CAN'T. I'm sure you've ALL been there at some point in life. That's why you're Marines! Sure as hell wasn't by any coincidence right? Try to imagine yourself in my position and maybe you'll see. Where there's a will there's a way. I believe that because throughout my short life I've proved it to myself. This situation is no different. There comes a time when we all have to ask ourselves "how bad do I want it?" Believe me, I want it bad. If I have to prove myself every single day for the rest of my life so be it.

My plan now is to go to one of the previously mention universities, and although I won't be able to go enlisted active duty, I can enlist in the Marine Corps. Reserve and earn my commission after graduating from college. I don't mean to get ahead of myself or speak too soon, it's just all about the mentality. One opportunity is all I ask for. One is all I need. I want to become a Marine. I will become a Marine.