PDA

View Full Version : United States Marine Corp MEPS question?

Ralph249
07-30-11, 01:20 PM
Hello, I'm trying to enlist in the Marine Corp, I had a minor surgery done when i was two. the surgery was for removing a very minor benign tumor. (It is on the left side of my head/face so i have to tell them) I DO NOT have the records for this as it was 15 years ago and the hospital apparently "misplaced it." Should i go to a doctor and ask them to write a letter saying how i am fit for duty? And if i give the letter to MEPS, what are the chances of it getting approved?

Zulu 36
07-30-11, 01:46 PM
Hello, I'm trying to enlist in the Marine Corp, I had a minor surgery done when i was two. the surgery was for removing a very minor benign tumor. (It is on the left side of my head/face so i have to tell them) I DO NOT have the records for this as it was 15 years ago and the hospital apparently "misplaced it." Should i go to a doctor and ask them to write a letter saying how i am fit for duty? And if i give the letter to MEPS, what are the chances of it getting approved?

You need to talk to your recruiter about this. He would have much more up-to-date information. Plus, we can't predict what MEPS will do. The doctors there have a degree of discretion which can be good or bad for you. Your recruiter should know where the local MEPS is landing on these issues.

Do you still have the same family doctor now as then? If so, a letter from him may help if a letter is necessary. Your recruiter or MEPS will tell you to get such a letter is it is needed.

Ralph249
07-30-11, 01:51 PM
no i have a another doctor now, can a letter from him stating that i am completely healthy work?

Zulu 36
07-30-11, 02:07 PM
no i have a another doctor now, can a letter from him stating that i am completely healthy work?

Did you read the rest of my post about asking your recruiter? We try to answer questions here, just remember the answers you get aren't always those you want to hear, but that doesn't make them less truthful or accurate.

See your recruiter about this issue. My best guess is there won't be a problem in the long run, but that is a GUESS.

Apache
07-30-11, 02:07 PM
Lesson #1
you did not listen
IF a letter is needed your recruiter will instruct you to get one

Standby for further .

Ralph249
07-30-11, 02:16 PM
Alright thanks Marines

lamanognr86
07-30-11, 02:25 PM
Why hasn't anybody noticed that this kid spelled Marine Corps incorrectly.

On a different note, I've been told minor surgeries from more than seven years are moot.

Ralph249
07-30-11, 02:28 PM
Well since im not a Marine, I wasn't sure how to spell it. Now i do and thanks, i hope so

fjmas1976
07-30-11, 02:49 PM
If it's not an issue, hasn't been an issue for years, and NEVER will be an issue, don't say anything. MEPS is nit picky over stuff that doesn't matter and super quick to DQ for anything. But, that's just my 2 cents:usmc:

Ralph249
07-30-11, 02:53 PM
Yea im not gonna say NOTHING but if they ask me ill say it's a birthmark, and if they ever find out what it was which is extremely unlikely i'll say i never knew what it was. I'm still gonna ask my recruiter though.

Tennessee Top
07-30-11, 09:49 PM
Anything else you plan to lie about? Or do you only lie when you feel it's necessary/not important?

If you get a MOS that requires a security clearance do you plan to lie on the application sheet about your background too?

One of our leadership traits is integrity. If you don't know what it means (and I seriously doubt you do) then look it up.

Our core values are Honor, Courage, and Commitment. Telling lies is not an honorable thing to do (eventhough some here will suggest you do it which only speaks to their morals) and not a good habit to get into.

Finally, you don't have to be a Marine to know how to spell Corps. All you need to do is graduate from elementary school.

Ralph249
07-30-11, 10:30 PM
Dont worry about me if you're not going to answer my question. I don't lie at all but i'll do anything to get in the Marines, it's a lifetime dream for me.

DanM
07-30-11, 10:56 PM
Dont worry about me if you're not going to answer my question. I don't lie at all but i'll do anything to get in the Marines, it's a lifetime dream for me.

Another one with a death wish,telling the truth is easy.

Ralph249
07-30-11, 10:59 PM
Not if you get disqualified, but i know what i gotta do. Thanks Marines

Tennessee Top
07-31-11, 03:00 AM
Fact is, none of us here can answer your question since we're not MEPS doctors and nobody here works at MEPS.

Now, if you have a question regarding the USMC, maybe somebody will be able to answer it for you. You have a better chance at an answer if you ask a question we know something about.

SGT7477
07-31-11, 09:15 AM
Marine Corps, Semper Fidelis.:evilgrin:

Zulu 36
07-31-11, 01:42 PM
Yea im not gonna say NOTHING but if they ask me ill say it's a birthmark, and if they ever find out what it was which is extremely unlikely i'll say i never knew what it was. I'm still gonna ask my recruiter though.

If you fail to reveal anything that MEPS requires you to reveal (and they have federal law on their side), they can DQ you on that reason alone. It doesn't matter if you bold face lie or simply "forget" to tell them. If it is found out, you will be required to answer for your lies. Blaming the recruiter only gets him into trouble too, but does not free you of culpability.

Don't count on MEPS doctors being such dullards that they can't tell a birthmark from surgery. Don't count on them accepting your claim of ignorance. They are not stupid. I was a paramedic and I can tell most surgery marks from birthmarks.

Lets say you do get through MEPS. How about if you need to get a top secret clearance and are subjected to the required background investigation. You'd be surprised what they can learn on one of those. They can get records from your current doctor and if he has noted your surgery in your medical history - busted!

Tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Anyone here who tells you differently has nothing to lose for themselves, but you have your dreams and possibly a career to lose. All on a simple matter that will probably be waived if the truth was told from the start.

Your call. As a far as I am concerned this thread is asked, answered, and ready for retirement.

Ralph249
07-31-11, 02:06 PM
Thanks for that answer, and i'm going to talk to my recruiter to see what he wants me to do. Thanks for all the answers and help Marines.

Ralph249
07-31-11, 02:18 PM
This forum is extremely helpful, most of the questions i had have been answered by searching here.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-01-11, 07:03 PM
Good.

Next, re-read the site rules. Grammar and punctuation also count.

Finally, this one is closed as asked/answered. Lie at your peril.