PDA

View Full Version : Meritorious vs Regular promotion

waitinferage21
07-28-11, 10:49 PM
So, i'm going on boards all this month to hopefully pick up meritorious on sept 2. Though if I don't get it i'm still going to pick up on Oct 1st. Just curious on how much will a meritorious promotion help me in the long run?

Mxzero
07-28-11, 11:40 PM
It'll look good if you go on another meritorious board for whatever the next rank is. Other then that, not really. But it probably would look a little better at first impression if you go to another command.

USMC-SSGT
07-29-11, 09:03 AM
It is a VERY big deal. If you were meritorious Lance and find yourself on a Cpl board it already gives you an edge on the board because you have proven yourself once. There are other instances as well where it will come in handy. The only interesting part is I am not sure how it works out with a promotion on the 1st and a meritorious on the 2nd. I know there is some difficulty there where the Corps will run your warrant on the 1st automatically and then it would not be possible to meritoriously promote you to a rank you already hold. I have heard of that issue a few times and am not sure how they worked it out. Sure it can be done, I have no idea.

Source: I was meritorious LCpl, Cpl and Sgt. LCpl was from MOS school based on class standing and the other two were boards.

advanced
07-29-11, 09:14 AM
I picked up meritorious Cpl because we ran out of NCO's after Hue City.

cucinae5
07-29-11, 02:32 PM
I was mertirious Lcpl and Cpl.. nothing reallly changes, you just pick up rank faster than your peers. Your command also looks at you with high standards. Same with new commands as someone else mention. It also gives you the edge over your peers to make the next rank faster obviously.

When I was a lance and got meritirious cpl it but me a few months ahead of my peers and I ended up picking up Sgt before anyone else I went in with. Was a big deal to me because I came in as a private and most of the other guys I came in with per already pfc's for referrals and stuff.

USMC-SSGT
07-29-11, 08:15 PM
Ill echo what others have said. It is a great sense of self pride and (most) others respect what you have earned. For the ones that could never be nominated for a board they will call you a "board" Marine and tell you how they detest boards and those who go on them.

To be on a board your shop has to hand pick you and only you to go up to company level. From company level you have to be hand selected out of the other shops to be put up to Bn level. From there you have to be hand picked by a panel to be Meritoriously promoted (that is if it isnt a higher level board). To think about all you went through and all the hard work you put in is something to be proud of. It takes a lot of work and self pride to be competitive in those boards and one should be honored to even be considered.

Even if you dont get put up for the board but you are at least considered you should take pride in the fact that your shop/unit considers you an asset and a solid Marine.

LandsNGrooves
08-03-11, 06:35 PM
Am I the only one who thinks current met pro board hijinks are a terrible gauge of actual leadership?

waitinferage21
08-03-11, 06:38 PM
It's no worse than waiting for a cutting score though, nothing there really shows leadership. At least on a board someone looks at ya :D Well i guess you can get non rec'd in your shop but still.

LandsNGrooves
08-03-11, 06:54 PM
that last point is what I'm talking about. Your shop see's you everyday, not just when your doing your charlie chaplain for the CO and his goons.

MOS4429
08-03-11, 06:59 PM
So, i'm going on boards all this month to hopefully pick up meritorious on sept 2. Though if I don't get it i'm still going to pick up on Oct 1st. Just curious on how much will a meritorious promotion help me in the long run?

Being put up on the board usually is a recognition of one's leadership traits, dedication to duty, esprit de corps. I say usually because there are exceptions to every rule.

Picking up meritorious Cpl may enhance your opportunities for Sgt, whether meritorious or time in grade. Generally speaking, those put up for meritorious promotion have higher pro and con marks as well.

I picked up meritorious out of boot camp, and that was a factor looked at when my first duty assignment came into play that got me a more choice location.

Also was promoted meritoriously to Cpl and Sgt, which helped my promotion to SSgt in a hair over 6 years.

Overall it is good! Be aware, some of your peers won't like it. Some may call you a kiss azz, etc. It goes with the territory. But if you have true leadership qualities, in short order they come around and will respect you.

R Landry
08-03-11, 07:00 PM
Ha ha, I got a meritorious E-4 because of my work as a cook for an amphibious tractor unit at Cherry Point (as best as I can remember) as a reservist during summer camp. Even after I made 30 gallons of chicken gravy with margarine instead of butter -- it turned green and I had to use a quart of food coloring to get it 'right'.

SSgtRSD
08-03-11, 07:46 PM
In regards to Landsngrooves post about your shop knowing your true colors. Very true, however it is usually at the Platoon level where meritorious packages begin or are recommended. Of course there...

rufus1
08-03-11, 09:25 PM
I received Meritorious Cpl and had a Meritorious Mast but I had to really produce to get what I got and am thankful that I had a staff NCO that seen what I was doing. I don't know if anyone ever looked at it after I got it or not and can not say if it helped me out any. One thing for sure I do not think it hurt me!

USMC-SSGT
08-04-11, 02:56 PM
Am I the only one who thinks current met pro board hijinks are a terrible gauge of actual leadership?

I have never seen a Marine get put up for a board that was not the complete (or close to it) package. At least the way it was in my BN, the shop had to recommend you up to company and from there you worked your way up to the actual board.

If someone in your shop did not think you were "worthy" you would not be seeing even the company level let alone the BN level board where the promotion actually happened. If you were non rec'd you would be ineligible for the board.

MD8724
08-04-11, 04:41 PM
I have never seen a Marine get put up for a board that was not the complete (or close to it) package. At least the way it was in my BN, the shop had to recommend you up to company and from there you worked your way up to the actual board.

If someone in your shop did not think you were "worthy" you would not be seeing even the company level let alone the BN level board where the promotion actually happened. If you were non rec'd you would be ineligible for the board.

Once had a boot FM get meritoriously promoted. She walked into our MSgts office (Also FM) and walked out 10 minutes later. That concluded the board.

LandsNGrooves
08-05-11, 07:44 PM

I turned down a board as boot lance. Personally I didn't want to march a bunch of marines around in front of the co staff.Professionally I think my section wanted to just not have other sections win spots and look more "squared away". Turned out the board had 5 dudes and 4 warrents to give away, so as long as you wernt last. . . . .

thewookie
08-05-11, 08:02 PM
I turned down a board as boot lance. Personally I didn't want to march a bunch of marines around in front of the co staff.Professionally I think my section wanted to just not have other sections win spots and look more "squared away". Turned out the board had 5 dudes and 4 warrents to give away, so as long as you wernt last. . . . .

You are full of poopola.

Back to the subject at hand. I think it matters and if you stay in it will definitely help down the road. Most Marines that I knew who were meritoriously promoted along the way were **** hot.

From my own experience, I was due to be promoted meritoriously on the 2nd after finally winning the regimental board. In my day, only one guy from the regiment got the meritorious promotion, not 4 out of 5 like lands ands grooves fairly tail. Any way, on the weekends early on I liked a few beers, and the Friday night after I won the board I was having some beers in the BEQ with my boys, being a little loud and cocky since on Wednesday I was gonna be pinned meritoriously. And wouldn't you know the Duty NCO came banging on our door at zero dark thirty. We had a few words, I told him to pound sand, and got myself entered into the duty NCO logbook. Rut row. :scared: The POS DNCO was an admin pogue, and of course he wrote me up, too.

Of course, Monday morning I was tap dancing on the First shirts carpet followed by a trip to the Battalion Sgt Major's office. Sgt. Major St. Pierre -- a legend in recon and SOF circles, he is as hard as they come, dual cool all that jazz (he is famous for swimming the Panama Canal). Any way, the Sgt Major liked me and long story short he took the meritorious promotion due on the second, and "gave" me a page 11, but since I had the cutting score that month - he promoted me on the first instead.;)

Good luck with your promotion, Marine.

LandsNGrooves
08-05-11, 08:57 PM
#
You are full of poopola.

Back to the subject at hand. I think it matters and if you stay in it will definitely help down the road. Most Marines that I knew who were meritoriously promoted along the way were **** hot.

From my own experience, I was due to be promoted meritoriously on the 2nd after finally winning the regimental board. In my day, only one guy from the regiment got the meritorious promotion, not 4 out of 5 like lands ands grooves fairly tail. Any way, on the weekends early on I liked a few beers, and the Friday night after I won the board I was having some beers in the BEQ with my boys, being a little loud and cocky since on Wednesday I was gonna be pinned meritoriously. And wouldn't you know the Duty NCO came banging on our door at zero dark thirty. We had a few words, I told him to pound sand, and got myself entered into the duty NCO logbook. Rut row. :scared: The POS DNCO was an admin pogue, and of course he wrote me up, too.

Of course, Monday morning I was tap dancing on the First shirts carpet followed by a trip to the Battalion Sgt Major's office. Sgt. Major St. Pierre -- a legend in recon and SOF circles, he is as hard as they come, dual cool all that jazz (he is famous for swimming the Panama Canal). Any way, the Sgt Major liked me and long story short he took the meritorious promotion due on the second, and "gave" me a page 11, but since I had the cutting score that month - he promoted me on the first instead.;)

Good luck with your promotion, Marine.

Really? I guess that's the kinda **** people maKe up right? You can't carry around that chip forever. So the ole Smage "gave" you a page 11 while you were alone in his office? DADT is gone man, you don't have to talk in code anymore.

thewookie
08-05-11, 09:09 PM
#

Really? I guess that's the kinda **** people maKe up right? You can't carry around that chip forever. So the ole Smage "gave" you a page 11 while you were alone in his office? DADT is gone man, you don't have to talk in code anymore.

You are either assphed or fatty, new screenname but still a lou-za.

LandsNGrooves
08-05-11, 09:37 PM
WOW. You really are a beltfed retard. If there is any question to if I'm some other dude, the mods should be able to see what IP I log in from, or that I've been posting from the same account for 3...

bpatk
08-05-11, 10:03 PM
meritorious WILL help you now if you plan on staying in the Corps with the 2012 troop drawdown. However watch yourback as stated before. consider ALL promotion avenues. even if you're staying in it might not be worth the effort stated before to do it based on time-in-grade etc. Always keep in mind as I have first hand knowledge on this it will help on the down cycle that the DoD is launching into. also don't get stuck in an MOS that is in the crosshairs, at that point a meritorious anything will do ye no good.

EGTSpec
08-06-11, 05:04 PM
I recieved Meritorious Corporal because a Sgt who I was stationed with on Okinawa a year earlier (He was a private then and I a LCpl) got transfered to the same unit at LeJeune. He was assigned, as a Sgt, as my platoon leader. When he saw that I was still a LCpl he asked me WTF was up with that. I told him, "You know me" "I don't kiss azz, I just do my job." He said he could take care of that. He took a copy of his personal meritorious promotion recomendation, substituted my name for his, submitted it, and without much to do, I was promoted. I made a good Cpl in my opinion, just refused to kiss azz or do 110% to earn it. I did what I was told when I was told. Period.

Carpshooter
08-06-11, 05:57 PM
I was out of my MOS and was an MP back in '69 at El Toro 3rd MAW base and beings my pro /con marks were so low ( they were bad thanks to my beloved DIs ) that I had to take a test , that I passed to make Lance / corporal ( 11 months in the Corps ).

They promoted the meritorious guys of which I wouldn't of made the day after , as I was senior to them by one day ( lucky me ) !

I was in Nam when I made corporal ( 16 months in the Corps ) most of been meritoriously , guess they had to promote someone as my marks were never changed until I was getting out and kissing azz was not my style !

Sergeant ( at 21 months ) never happened as they passed me up ( might of been those marks that I still had ) , as the downsizing Corps was getting rid of Marines back in '71 of which I was gladly one of them ! :thumbup:

The Corps gives you PFC , so they got something to take away , as my pro/cons were that bad , but I was always a reliable Marine with bad boot camp stay with you , no reason they couldn't of been changed marks !:D

PS. I was very re-enlistable thanks to my marks being changed at the end of my Marine Corps career , as I found out later on when I joined the Army National Guard at my E-4 pay grade ! ( lucky me ) :yes:

waitinferage21
08-09-11, 06:35 PM
Well good news :D stomped the competition, I'll be a meritorious Corporal come September second.

LandsNGrooves
08-10-11, 09:05 PM
Awesome!

Did you really stomp it? like dance off style??

blockhead5
08-11-11, 01:17 PM
Well done on your meritorious promotion waitinferage21. I received meritorious PFC out of boot. It is never a bad thing to pick up rank ahead of time in grade.

waitinferage21
08-17-11, 11:18 AM
Saw it a bit late, but how'd ya do EGore?

Tennessee Top
08-17-11, 11:27 AM
Congratulations! And, don't stop there!! You know now what it takes.

Beltayn
08-21-11, 06:08 AM
Well good news :D stomped the competition, I'll be a meritorious Corporal come September second.

Congratulations.

But frankly it is a gigantic, criminal waste of a meritorious promotion slot to someone who would have picked up anyway 30 days later.

They should have given you an award like a Navy Achievement Medal instead.