PDA

View Full Version : Door Gunner in the Marine Corps?

Marynicole831
07-28-11, 04:24 PM
I have been playing with the idea of going active instead of reservist. My family could use the boost of income, and also there are more MOS's available. My husband's command already said they'd release him to another National Guard unit if I did go into the USMC.

Now I can barley find any information on the job I want to do in the Marine Corps. I really want to be a door gunner on any aircraft. That job is what was making it hard for me to choose between Marines and the Air Force, but someone told me you can enlist into that MOS in the Marines like you can in the AF. Is there any truth to that? If not how can you get into that MOS? I don't even know the MOS number/name.

If anyone can give me some information, I would be grateful.

Also, some friends I have told about my plans have been telling my husband that if I go into the Marines instead of the USAF, I will spend almost zero time with my family. My dad was a Marine, and I know this is false, but any input on this? I know there will be times when we are separated, but my husband and I both came up in military families. We kind of know what to expect.

So any input, opinions, or information is , again, greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time, and God bless.

WXSgt
07-29-11, 05:21 PM
we do not have a "door gunner" MOS we have air crew which would handle that and also there have been many others in squadrons with Helo's that have had chance to act as a "door gunner". and yes active duty aircrews/squadrons do pull ALOT of hours but yes they do get time off

Marynicole831
07-30-11, 12:32 AM
Yeah, I knew it wasn't an exclusive MOS, but what MOSs have the best chance of becoming one?

Thank you for the information.

WXSgt
07-30-11, 12:35 AM
aircrew as i said before lol

Marynicole831
07-30-11, 12:42 AM
Is it MOS 6199? http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/6199.htm

Do they go through SERE training? (that would be a plus) I am pretty sure that since it's an aircrew MOS, they do, but it never hurts to ask (=

Thank you for helping me Sir.

shadowwolf820
07-30-11, 03:43 AM
I have been playing with the idea of going active instead of reservist. My family could use the boost of income, and also there are more MOS's available. My husband's command already said they'd release him to another National Guard unit if I did go into the USMC.

Now I can barley find any information on the job I want to do in the Marine Corps. I really want to be a door gunner on any aircraft. That job is what was making it hard for me to choose between Marines and the Air Force, but someone told me you can enlist into that MOS in the Marines like you can in the AF. Is there any truth to that? If not how can you get into that MOS? I don't even know the MOS number/name.

If anyone can give me some information, I would be grateful.

Also, some friends I have told about my plans have been telling my husband that if I go into the Marines instead of the USAF, I will spend almost zero time with my family. My dad was a Marine, and I know this is false, but any input on this? I know there will be times when we are separated, but my husband and I both came up in military families. We kind of know what to expect.

So any input, opinions, or information is , again, greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time, and God bless.

You have a family? No Corps for you. No self respecting woman would do that to their family. Alot of men do, because that is their job. It's easier for a woman to worry about her man than the other way around. Besides, we all know how WMs make it the Corps. You don't want to be unfaithful do you?

And you want to man a gun? haha theres a reason the term is 'man' a gun.

Really though. No true Marine would put their family through that. If you really want to play Marine, go into admin or something. Theres no way you would get ANY time with your family with any other job.

Get ready to say goodbye to them for 4 years.:marine:

Sgt Leprechaun
08-01-11, 06:55 PM
Yes, all aircrew go through SERE. As do some others. Aircrew is your absolute best option for that.

I know you can get that MOS in the AF but from what I understand it is DAVMN difficult.

And get used to the naysayers, you'll have to deal with them eventually anyway.

Marynicole831
08-02-11, 12:40 PM
So it's harder to get into the AF equivalent? They have been really picky about recruiting lately. I talked to an Air Force recruiter, and he wasn't even trying. He gave me an info packet, and sent me out the door. If I don't get to be a Door gunner, do you know what else they may put me in?

And yeah, I don't let them bother me. I saw his post before it got deleted. I thought the best thing to do was ignore him. I don't even know if he was a troll or actually a Marine, so no point in letting it get to me.

Thanks again for the information.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-02-11, 04:43 PM
No problem, sounds like you are on your way. Yeah, the AF is EXTREMELY picky these days.

Again, there is NO such MOS as 'door gunner' in the Marine Corps. You would be an Aircraft Crew Chief. One of their collateral duties is to operate the 'door gun' (if so equipped) on the airframe they are in, be it a Huey, C-130, or whatever. Talk to a Marine Corps Recruiter, and you'd want the option for Aircrew, 6199. However, you cannot enlist directly for specific MOS's, only MOS fields. The recruiter can explain that better for you.

Marynicole831
08-06-11, 11:59 AM
Thanks (=

I have one more question, Crew Chiefs and the 6199 MOS seem to be different. What are the differences?

The local recruiter has not contacted me back yet, and I have learned from other wannabees that he can take up to 3 weeks to do so. Probably busy with the way the economy is haha.

Sgt Leprechaun
08-06-11, 05:21 PM
You need to physically GO and talk to him, waiting for a callback does you no good.

I'm not qualified to answer the question. I believe Crew Chief is more of a title rather than a specific MOS but not sure.