PDA

View Full Version : DEP in and DEP out

jahuski35
07-28-11, 12:20 AM
I am going to be a Junior this year in high school and I was sort of thinking that when I turn 17 I will DEP in. The reason being is that I want to get an extra edge in getting noticed by the Marine board when I apply for a MO NROTC scholarship. At least that's what my recruiter is telling me. The only thing is, if I do not get accepted by the scholarship how hard will it be trying to get out of the DEP? Will it effect my future career in the Marines?

Sgt Leprechaun
07-28-11, 12:35 AM
Quite frankly, I think it's a crappy thing to do. By DEP'ing in, you are saying you are going to ship at a certain date and time (with no obvious plans to do so), and thereby taking a slot from someone who does, in fact, want to ship at that time/date. It would be even worse if you got a guaranteed contract or something.

If you are doing it 'open' then that is a different story, slightly, but I still have ethical issues with it, no matter what the recruiter says.

jahuski35
07-28-11, 12:38 AM
Quite frankly, I think it's a crappy thing to do. By DEP'ing in, you are saying you are going to ship at a certain date and time (with no obvious plans to do so), and thereby taking a slot from someone who does, in fact, want to ship at that time/date. It would be even worse if you got a guaranteed contract or something.

If you are doing it 'open' then that is a different story, slightly, but I still have ethical issues with it, no matter what the recruiter says.

what does open mean?

Sgt Leprechaun
07-28-11, 12:40 AM
Open contract. You'll take any job.

SSgt Lamie
07-28-11, 09:02 AM
This is something that I came across as a Recruiter several times. Anytime someone wants to apply for the NROTC scholarship they always try to find something extra to throw in their package to make them look better to the selection board. And quite frankly, enlisting in the DEP always seems to be the thing that they think will put them over the top. To be honest with you, the line that your Recruiter gave you is one that a lot of Recruiter who need to write a contract say.

It's true that when the board looks at your package and see that you are enlisted in the DEP they take that as you saying you want to be a Marine no matter what, but it doesn't give you a leg up on the competition. This is a board where the "whole person" concept really comes into play.

If your GPA in high school is below par, or you are not in the top 10% of your graduating class they will more than likely pass on you.

Your ACT/SAT/ASVAB score will be looked at closely. To find out if the score you have high enough to be considered talk with your Recruiter.

You will be required to run an official Marine Corps PFT. If you PFT score is not at least 275 or higher you will have a hard time getting the scholarship.

Everything from your past will be looked at to include police involvement, medical history, tattoos, community involvement, sports, etc etc.

Lastly you will be required to sit down with a Marine Corps Officer for an interview. During this interview he will determine if you are a prime canidate and submit his request to the board.

The NROTC scholarship is worth up to $180,000 and the Marine Corps will only commit that type of money to someone who is fully committed to being a Marine.

jahuski35
07-28-11, 01:10 PM
It's true that when the board looks at your package and see that you are enlisted in the DEP they take that as you saying you want to be a Marine no matter what, but it doesn't give you a leg up on the competition. This is a board where the "whole person" concept really comes into play.

Ok, so it really isn't worth going ahead and DEP'ing in then?

SSgt Lamie
07-28-11, 03:05 PM
Ok, so it really isn't worth going ahead and DEP'ing in then?

Only DEP in if you are fully committed to being a Marine (Enlisted or Officer). Otherwise take your chances for the scholarship with how you square up currently. Like said before in this post, don't take a slot from another person who is fully committed and wants to actually go to Recruit Training.

jahuski35
07-28-11, 04:37 PM
Only DEP in if you are fully committed to being a Marine (Enlisted or Officer). Otherwise take your chances for the scholarship with how you square up currently. Like said before in this post, don't take a slot from another person who is fully committed and wants to actually go to Recruit Training.

Yes Sir! Fully committed right now. Now the only thing I am trying to grasp is what happens if I don't get the scholarship and I want to get out of the DEP? I want to attend college first then go to OCS.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-28-11, 05:32 PM
Sigh.

Here it is, barney style, since you apparently aren't 'getting' what you are being told by the recruiter, and by me...

1: Only go DEP if you are going to enlist. Otherwise you are stealing a slot from someone who WANTS to enlist instead of pad their resume. It's morally and ethically WRONG. Period.

2: Going DEP in hopes of getting the scholarship won't help you get it.

3: If you are all dead set on college, then GO. Scholarship or not. Otherwise, enlist, do your time, and EARN your college money via the GI Bill.

4: DEP dropping will ensure you cannot enlist for a year afterward, and if you decide to apply to OCS (ect) later on, that will likely factor in the officer interview...and you getting turned down. (It would for me that's for sure. That would tell me right away you weren't officer material...)

jahuski35
07-28-11, 06:54 PM
Aright. Thanks for the info every one!

SSgt Lamie
07-29-11, 01:40 PM
If you are set on going to College I would highly suggest going Reserves. You can DEP in as a Reservist, apply for the scholarship and see if you get it. <br />
<br />
If you do receive the scholarship you...