PDA

View Full Version : Open Contract and Stand-By

PooleeZBrown
07-27-11, 11:19 PM
Afternoon, I recently just DEPPED in in the Marine Corps. I know for a fact that being a Marine is what I want to do. After talking with recruiter's they convinced me to go open contract and then go stand-by, (because I want to get out of here as soon as possible). My question though, is this:
I am supposed to get with my recruiter and see what jobs are available and pick from those jobs that I qualify for. Since I went open contract, is this just for craps and giggles that I pick a job, or are they really going to get me a job?

PNW2011
07-28-11, 12:29 AM
Everyone goes open contract then gets their job later, only a few will actually sign a SOU their first time at MEPS.

They're actually not allowed to ship people on open contracts unless they qualify for nothing else or if that person requests it.

PooleeZBrown
07-28-11, 12:01 PM
Many thanks, friend.

JWJohnsonIII
07-28-11, 04:02 PM
Everyone goes open contract then gets their job later, only a few will actually sign a SOU their first time at MEPS.

PNW is right. As well as I can recall, I DEP'd in, then went back to the RSS after swearing in and signed my SOU.

We have one poolee who has been waiting on a specific job to open up for months. Still trying to find him one.

IHaveEGA843
07-28-11, 04:28 PM
I think thats the whole process really. I signed Active/Open and waited until the new Reserve slots came up. As soon as they did I picked and I was back at MEPS locking it in.

OVonRomer
07-29-11, 04:37 PM

They're actually not allowed to ship people on open contracts unless they qualify for nothing else or if that person requests it.

Good piece of info there :thumbup: