PDA

View Full Version : Home Owners Assoc. at it again. Check it out.

Sin
07-27-11, 08:02 PM
Family slapped with lawsuit for honoring their USMC son.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/video/slapped-with-lawsuit-for-honoring-marine-son-/2070597621/Comcast/popular/?cid=hero_sf

Thoughts?

Vandrel
07-27-11, 08:35 PM
HOA cowards. That's why I refuse to live in a HOA area.

Old Marine
07-27-11, 08:52 PM
Home Owners Associations are useless. They claim that there regulations are gor the good of the community, but most times as in this instance I believe they are wrong.

osborned
07-27-11, 09:01 PM
I own a house in a nice area with an HOA, one that I finished building just before I enlisted. Soon after boot I got a call from an HOA rep asking some random question. I said I couldn't deal with the issue because I was in California doing military things. She asks "But....you do still live in the house" I'm like no, I'm doing military things. I'll be back in a few years. We're renting it out.

HOA Rep: "You can't do that!"
Me: "Say what?"
HOA Rep: "You can't rent it out...it's against our rules!"
Me: "Hide and watch."

And I got some letters I ignored and it all went away. They can put a lien on your home, but those are very easily fought.

Sgt Leprechaun
07-28-11, 12:26 AM
Little wannabee terrorists is what they are. I would never, ever again live in an area with an HOA. EVER.

jamielang1951
07-28-11, 04:48 AM
I saw this on the news and it just ****ed me off to the max that they allowed other signs but not this one.
I can't understand why anyone would buy a home where they have a HOA and let people tell you what you can and can not do with your property. To me that just seems so un-American to give away your freedom.

IMHO

Sin
07-28-11, 06:28 AM
Over on Terminal Lance someone pointed out something else concerning this HOA bit.

Check out this guy's comments:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8103/hoa2.png

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7321/hoa1.png

He claims he was a corpsman in the Navy and that's where he gets his opinions from. Here's his Facebook account:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1564513372#!/ (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1564513372#!/)

Sgt Leprechaun
07-28-11, 05:08 PM
What exactly does this idiot have to do with the HOA thing? I don't see the connection, other than he's full of crap.

Sin
07-29-11, 06:05 AM
What exactly does this idiot have to do with the HOA thing? I don't see the connection, other than he's full of crap.

I'd have to look up the exact link again but basically there was a thread of comments beneath this article and he was one of the people leaving his two cents.

hbharrison
07-29-11, 10:17 AM
Several years ago we had some dipstick moved into a small house down the road from me and he was going around to all the land owners in the area asking they to start an HOA. Don;t remember what all happened but he sold his place and moved out about 8 months later, think he got the message loud and clear.

hbharrison
07-29-11, 10:21 AM
Butch, I hope it wasn't someone affiliated with Westboro Church.

Well Dave I don't think so because the State of Kansas would have been working a missing person report. :D

AKA HITMAN
07-29-11, 10:33 AM
HOA...read before you sign. Made a big mistake in buying a house with my sister in law, she agreed to pay HOA dues as long as we took care of the mortage and property taxes. We did our part, she neglected to pay and the bank showed up asking us to move out. A small fee I offered to pay, but the lien was on and we were not notified by her as the HOA only had her as a contact. Gave them the keys 30 days later and moved after the equity check for the house came in. Every time I see her, well.....the thought crosses my mind....

Wood5831
07-29-11, 03:39 PM
OMG! So you are not supposed to have signs on the property. Yet, it is ok to have other signs in the neighborhood but that one is a problem? More comical that their 2 other signs on the property is not an issue, but this one is?

Please someone stop the earth so I can step off.

iamspartacus
07-29-11, 04:40 PM
I have a few thoughts, but first, let me agree with all of you in that I'm not a fan of HOAs either. I think they are pretty much useless and oppressive with ridiculous rules.

Having said that....
You know what you're getting into. If you don't like the HOA rules, don't buy a home there. Don't sign on the dotted line agreeing to their rules and then complain when you find a rule you don't want to follow. Do I think the HOA should be a little more understanding of this family? Yes. But I don't think this family should expect them to break their rules for them. This is America. It encourages private businesses to be run how they see fit... including HOAs. As long as it isn't against the law, they have a right to enforce their rules.

Now, it does seem as though there is a double standard with the other signs throughout the neighborhood. So if that is the case, I think this family has a right to leave their banner up.

MarineDAD92
08-30-11, 05:58 PM
"A south Bossier family fighting to maintain a front yard banner in support of their son’s military service has reached an agreement with their homeowners association that will allow the sign to remain in place through April and could establish parameters to allow future signs supporting military service.
The Gardens of Southgate Association sued Jodi and Timothy Burr in July to remove a multi-colored banner with a picture of their 20-year-old son Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Corey Burr and the phrase “Our son defends our freedom” on it. They said the sign violated subdivision covenants.
A statement from the homeowners association via their attorney says a motion to dismiss the lawsuit is being filed and they have reached an agreement with the family.
The case was never about attacking the support of the United States military or its members, the statement said.
“All along, this case has been regarding covenant enforcement in a relatively new subdivision in Bossier City, Louisiana,” the statement said. “The association, its officers and its legal counsel regret that the case has garnered such negative attention and comment, especially as this case has been played out in the media”
Burr said she believes the media attention is what made the homeowners association approach them about a settlement.
The agreement, signed Friday, will allow the association to call for a vote to amend subdivision covenants to allow signs five feet or smaller in public view, including those in support of military service. The measure would require 90 percent of favorable votes, and if received, the couple would have to reduce the size of their sign. If the measure fails, their sign would be allowed to remain up until April 30, the month after their son returns from Afghanistan."

:thumbup:

Carpshooter
08-30-11, 06:37 PM
I like happy endings ! :thumbup:

MOS4429
08-30-11, 08:27 PM
Good research MarineDad!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

hbharrison
08-31-11, 12:58 AM
You know it is always nice when real stupid people get what they ask for and this assoiciation did just that. But would it also be nice if when you know you can't fix stupid you would also know that being stupid caused real pain. So let us all pray that the assoiciation of stupid people is having real pain right now. Let us also pray that the Bossir's Marine Son comes home safe along with all the rest who now serve.

God Bless Them All ...............

Nedward
08-31-11, 08:00 AM
Dear Home Owner,

We at the HOA regret to inform you that it is politically incorrect to fly the American Flag in your front lawn.

Dear Home Owners Association,

If you can outrun an expert pistol marksman firing a Taurus PT92 towards center mass, you can take it down.