PDA

View Full Version : Switching MOS

Crusader0451
07-27-11, 02:13 PM
I am a contract 0451 set to ship January 3, I am definitely more motivated then when I signed up and I am wanting to go 0321. Wondering if anybody has any experience in switching MOS's as a poolee.

Shakespeare
07-27-11, 02:50 PM
If I remember right, 0451 and 0321 are two of the few guaranteed contracts.
Really, you should talk to your recruiter, IMHO.
I think that if you signed a contract for a specific MOS, letting you out of it would be at the whim of the Corps. I could be wrong though.
Good luck.

IHaveEGA843
07-27-11, 05:10 PM
I switched from Active open contract to Reserves 0481 contract.

I never intended to go active nor open contract but it was done to get me in the program. I just recently swore back in for the 2nd time last week. You'll go back to MEPS and have a height/weight exam. They'll ask you if you have any tats or anything broken. If nothing has changed you'll just go and wait until you go back to your RS.

My Recruiter said it was a big waste of time.

jwmacdon1231
08-02-11, 12:42 PM
Changing MOS (from my experience) is easy if the job is open. I switched from 0300 to 0200. It took less than an hour. So I mean if the job is open for your ship date you should be able to switch with ease. I did, though, have to push back my ship date in order to switch mine.

Crusader0451
08-02-11, 04:40 PM
Does it have be done at meps? or can your recruiter do it?

jwmacdon1231
08-02-11, 04:45 PM
You don't have to go to MEPS. Your recruiter just has to fill out a form and that's it

Nj St Of Mind
08-02-11, 05:56 PM
You don't have to go to MEPS. Your recruiter just has to fill out a form and that's it

Curiousity, why did you go from 0300 to 0200?

jwmacdon1231
08-02-11, 06:09 PM
Curiousity, why did you go from 0300 to 0200?

Had the scores for intel and figured I'd might as well take advantage of gaining that security clearance. My real goal is to get into recon. So by the time I've finished at least 2 years of intel hopefully I can go through the recon indoc and pass. IF that doesn't fall through then I can just lat move to infantry if I still want to do it.

Crusader0451
08-03-11, 03:54 AM
I'm pretty sure some 02xx can go Scout Sniper

PNW2011
08-03-11, 04:02 AM
No. only ground intel officers or 0203's can become scout snipers, that's because some of them serve in the Recon community.

Also where did you easily go from 0300 to 0200? Because I'm going to your RS.... they really couldn't get guys to go intel?

Also you do realize BRC is only available for infantry Marines right? You have to lat move to infantry and go through ITB before you can do BRC. That could mean re-enlistment if you want to go grunt, my recommendation is do what you want now, and never assume anything is going to happen for you in the future, the only thing you can control is right now.

Nj St Of Mind
08-03-11, 01:12 PM
Had the scores for intel and figured I'd might as well take advantage of gaining that security clearance. My real goal is to get into recon. So by the time I've finished at least 2 years of intel hopefully I can go through the recon indoc and pass. IF that doesn't fall through then I can just lat move to infantry if I still want to do it.

Lol, LAT moves are very unlikely, I doubt they pay to send you to school just so if you want they'll pay to send you to another school. Its not as simple as you make it seem, people depend too heavily on those LAT moves but in a 4 year enlistment I doubt anyone who we know that talks about it will see one.

I remember I asked my recruiter who was pitching Aviation and Electrician jobs left and right, and I even got offered a signing bonus if I went with an Electrician, $4,000 extra dollars fresh out of boot camp. But I wanted Infantry and Infantry is what I wanted. He told me I could qualify for a LAT move after 2 years, but I'm no fool, the key word here is "COULD". Me being the skeptic that I am I asked him why would they pay to send someone to school only use them for 2 years then have them simply say "I want this, give it to me" and pay to fill their request? That doesn't sound like the Marine Corps I know. the whole "You sign up, and your theirs" Marine Corps.

He tried pitching some BS about "Oh well you'll have higher rank" and I gave him that "cut the BS" look and he told me "you know what, forget it, lets keep hoping for an Infantry slot to open up". I feel like I'm destined to be Infantry, because when it finally opened up, it was only 1 slot, it was for MY ship date (which I like my ship date, I come back right before the holidays :) ) and I got it the next day. I was super confident I would always get it besides all the stuff they would say about "just pick an MOS now and be ready because if you wait til the last minute you might ship with an Open Contract".

Just saying think about this, if 0300 contracts are hard to get BEFORE you even are a Marine, what makes you think that after you're already a Marine and have already learned a trade? I'm pretty sure they want untarnished minds. Just my opinion on the matter.

Nj St Of Mind
08-03-11, 01:14 PM
No. only ground intel officers or 0203's can become scout snipers, that's because some of them serve in the Recon community.

Also where did you easily go from 0300 to 0200? Because I'm going to your RS.... they really couldn't get guys to go intel?

Also you do realize BRC is only available for infantry Marines right? You have to lat move to infantry and go through ITB before you can do BRC. That could mean re-enlistment if you want to go grunt, my recommendation is do what you want now, and never assume anything is going to happen for you in the future, the only thing you can control is right now.

Exactly.

PNW2011
08-03-11, 03:40 PM
Lol, LAT moves are very unlikely, I doubt they pay to send you to school just so if you want they'll pay to send you to another school. Its not as simple as you make it seem, people depend too heavily on those LAT moves but in a 4 year enlistment I doubt anyone who we know that talks about it will see one.

I remember I asked my recruiter who was pitching Aviation and Electrician jobs left and right, and I even got offered a signing bonus if I went with an Electrician, $4,000 extra dollars fresh out of boot camp. But I wanted Infantry and Infantry is what I wanted. He told me I could qualify for a LAT move after 2 years, but I'm no fool, the key word here is "COULD". Me being the skeptic that I am I asked him why would they pay to send someone to school only use them for 2 years then have them simply say "I want this, give it to me" and pay to fill their request? That doesn't sound like the Marine Corps I know. the whole "You sign up, and your theirs" Marine Corps.

He tried pitching some BS about "Oh well you'll have higher rank" and I gave him that "cut the BS" look and he told me "you know what, forget it, lets keep hoping for an Infantry slot to open up". I feel like I'm destined to be Infantry, because when it finally opened up, it was only 1 slot, it was for MY ship date (which I like my ship date, I come back right before the holidays :) ) and I got it the next day. I was super confident I would always get it besides all the stuff they would say about "just pick an MOS now and be ready because if you wait til the last minute you might ship with an Open Contract".

Just saying think about this, if 0300 contracts are hard to get BEFORE you even are a Marine, what makes you think that after you're already a Marine and have already learned a trade? I'm pretty sure they want untarnished minds. Just my opinion on the matter.

Unless your GT score is less than 90, they CANNOT ship you with a Open Contract.

Nj St Of Mind
08-03-11, 11:50 PM
Unless your GT score is less than 90, they CANNOT ship you with a Open Contract.

From what I'm aware of .. yes they can. If you choose to then why can't they? I don't know where you heard that from but I got offered to go to Boot with an Open contract. Open Contract doesn't mean you get a random ass job they put a job that fits your scores and is in need.

PNW2011
08-04-11, 03:40 AM
From MCO 1130.53:

PEF/ MOS Description SEX TOE Test Scores
00 OPEN CONTRACT M/F 4 GT90, EL90 or MM95

• Applicants may DEP with lower scores while awaiting program assignment (ie UH or CA); however, applicants may
not ship to recruit training as an Open Contract with scores less than those indicated.

jwmacdon1231
08-04-11, 01:06 PM

Head of the RS had to pull some strings. I got lucky.

jwmacdon1231
08-04-11, 01:11 PM

Yes I guess naivete way of thinking led me to believe that it would be easy to accomplish. Even after switching I'm still not exactly sure on which I would rather do. I guess I won't know until the time comes. Thanks for the reality check. :thumbup:

jwmacdon1231
08-04-11, 01:12 PM

I was told anyone could go through the indoc. Hm I guess I got lied to.

Crusader0451
08-04-11, 03:36 PM
I was told anyone could go through the indoc. Hm I guess I got lied to.

That's what I thought too. I think they changed it. Or maybe I'm thinking MARSOC

jwmacdon1231
08-04-11, 04:02 PM
That's what I thought too. I think they changed it. Or maybe I'm thinking MARSOC

This was what I found so far on prelim requirements for recon. Not sure how accurate it is though. I'll do some more digging, and see what I can find.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps_Reconnaissance_Selectio n_and_Indoctrination#Accession_Pipeline

Also, on the official MARSOC site it doesn't say anything about having to be infantry in order to go begin the process. http://www.marines.mil/unit/marsoc/Pages/recruiting/Step1-Contact.aspx

I'm glad y'all pointed these things out to me. I didn't really do my research and I'm learning things that I didn't know that were required. Thanks a bunch.

PNW2011
08-04-11, 09:09 PM
Yes, I could be wrong, but it would still require lat moving, which is a process technically anyone can do, but isn't always an option.

One would think a Marine would need the base training of ITB before they are allowed to attend BRC, but maybe that isn't the case. In any case if you become a 26XX with that intel contract you have, there's always Radio Recon, which is like POG recon kinda.. Also 26xx's are in high demand for support billets for MARSOC and CENTCOM..

jwmacdon1231
08-05-11, 10:25 AM
Yea, I guess I'll deal with it when the time comes. Boot is what I need to get through first.