PDA

View Full Version : Can a high ASVAB score keep you out of the field?

Marsyas
07-27-11, 01:14 AM
Hello Marines,

I recently enlisted in the United States Marine Corps and am currently in the process of hammering out my 3 top choices for assignment. My current choices are (In order of importance) the four year Infantry option, the Combat Support contract (0800, 1800, and 7200), and finally the Military Police contract. I scored a 94 on my ASVAB with my line scores consisting of the following figures.
GT: 123
EL: 131
MM: 118
CL: 127
My concern is that my line scores will have me placed in the rear. Field work is very important to me, going beyond the wire is why I joined the Marine Corps. I don't believe that I could be happy in the Corps if I were placed towards the back of the action. Call it youthful bravado, I am aware of it's naivety. I am curious as to any of you would be willing to offer insight as to my chance of getting a field job with my scores. I understand that in the Infantry it's pretty hard to get stuck behind a desk; however, if I were instead placed under the Combat Support contract would I have a higher chance of getting the 7200 Air Traffic Controller MOS? I've looked around the forums as much as possible and found posts that only slightly address my concern and I apologize for having to take this up myself.

Thank you for whatever time you are willing to spare for me, urgent replies would be appreciated. I've waited as long as I could to ask, and the job choices are due tommorrow.

usmc4life1991
07-27-11, 01:22 AM
yea they would put you in something your good at.. but youll learn 2 thing.. it all depends on the "needs of the Marine Corps"

Tennessee Top
07-27-11, 01:57 AM
With those scores I would think you could qualify for just about anything you want.

Can't answer your question about the 7200 MOS.

Good luck...hope you get what you want. Let us know how it works out.

Marsyas
07-27-11, 01:33 PM
Thank you both for your time and answers. I suppose the question is simply if with a score like mine would it be best to go for Infantry to stay out of the rear? Is my choice either 03xx or a non-combat MOS?
I will keep you informed as to my choice, and as to the developments that occur once my contract is submitted.

osborned
07-27-11, 01:37 PM
It depends on your job. I've got a 99 with a 143 GT and I'm in the field constantly, deploying in November.

Marsyas
07-27-11, 09:57 PM
I've decided to go 03xx; however, I do have a lot of competition in my RS. I thank you all for your time and for your service to Corps and Country. :D, I'll continue to read and learn until my ship date and I look forward to taking my place amongst you all as one of the Few. Thank you again for your input.

Sin
07-28-11, 08:53 AM
I've decided to go 03xx; however, I do have a lot of competition in my RS. I thank you all for your time and for your service to Corps and Country. :D, I'll continue to read and learn until my ship date and I look forward to taking my place amongst you all as one of the Few. Thank you again for your input.

I was a 92 with a 127GT and went 03XX like yourself. Do yourself a favor, the hardest 03 MOS to get is 0352. It's the best in my opinion, though I am biased, as I was one. Anti-Tank Guided Missileman.. You train on the Javelin and TOW2b missile systems and it's a blast. When you hit the fleet you'll likely receive cross training on Machine Guns as well since most 52's go into Weapons and roll mounted, rather than walking everywhere. (Don't hate, I did my fair share of foot patrols)

It was good times.. You had to have a high asvab/gt to even be considered and then had to write an essay saying 'why' you should be given a spot in the class. We had 16 slots total when I hit SOI, 4 taken by reservists, 6 more taken buy lat-movers. So out of 300 students, only 6 could go 0352. Glad I got picked.

Marsyas
07-30-11, 12:35 AM
My current hope is that I'll come out of Recruit Training with a perfect PFT and then transfer to MART after SOI. I'd like to pass the Reconnaissance indoc and then spend my time taking the numerous courses recommended for the Scout/Sniper school in the Recon/Scout/Sniper thread. I understand that 0341s typically have an easier time adapting to Scout/Sniper training because of the field sketching that's trained at SOI for 0341s. I know it's cliche, but I think I'd be in my element as a Scout/Sniper -- people call me a pragmatist.