PDA

View Full Version : Anti-war aspect planned at parade to honor troops

thedrifter
10-25-03, 07:49 AM
Anti-war aspect planned at parade to honor troops

By Lola Sherman
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

October 24, 2003

OCEANSIDE – Anti-war groups plan to take advantage of two free-speech sites that will operate during the city's Defenders of Freedom parade tomorrow, which will welcome home American troops from the war in Iraq.

City officials expect more than 10,000 Marines and sailors to march along Coast Highway from 10 a.m. to noon, and 80,000 to 100,000 civilians to watch.

The free-speech areas will be on Seagaze Drive at Coast Highway and at Mission Avenue and Pacific Street.

Michelle Skaggs Lawrence, assistant to the city manager, said this week that city officials anticipate no problems but will have local police plus officers from Carlsbad and county sheriff's deputies on hand to keep the peace.

"I hope all will come to support our troops" and that they will put politics aside to give the troops "the kudos they deserve for putting their lives at risk," Lawrence said.

A half-dozen people from various organizations held a news conference in front of City Hall yesterday to announce their plans.

Mike Byron, a Democratic candidate for Congress, said he would emphasize the needs of active-duty personnel and veterans, saying they are being shortchanged when it comes to many benefits, including military housing at Camp Pendleton.

"Supporting the troops means a lot more than a big parade," Byron said.

He later estimated the war protest would attract "several hundred" people.

"I'm here representing the people of Iraq," said Dick Eiden of Vista, with North County Forum. He said the United States is spending billions of dollars to rebuild Iraq when it is responsible for bombing the country in the first place.

John Falchi, with San Diego Peacemakers, said he expects war opponents to come from as far as Los Angeles and Riverside.

Maegan Prentice of Oceanside said that although she opposed the war as unnecessary, the troops should be supported. Her sentiment was echoed by Douglas Hunter of Vista and Eunice Whitlock of Escondido, wearing Dennis Kucinich for President T-shirts touting the anti-war Democratic candidate.

In addition to having war opponents at the two official free-speech areas, Byron said he expects to set up at Tyson Park, a beach area not officially part of the festivities, early Saturday morning.

No amplification will be allowed in the free-speech areas, he said, but he will be able to put up speakers in the park.

Marine Lt. Dan Rawson, a base spokesman, declined to rebut Byron's remarks about conditions on the base, except to say, "Housing is just beautiful. Our young Marines are well taken care of."

Rawson said he respects the rights of those who come to protest.

"The military and the Marine Corps have a long tradition of protecting those rights," he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lola Sherman: (760) 476-8241; lola.sherman@uniontrib.com

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/military/20031024-9999_1mi24parade.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

CAS3
10-25-03, 04:15 PM
This is the weekend of the Marine Corps marathon and I have almost run over a few thousand "peace activists"...
Wondering if anyone knows how to get them the hell out of here!

firstsgtmike
10-26-03, 07:49 AM
"I'm here representing the people of Iraq," said Dick Eiden of Vista, with North County Forum.

I wonder if the people of Iraq know that he is representing them.

Is it an elected position or can anyone claim the title of Representative?

How does he communicate with the people he claims to represent?

How many Iraqis ever heard of him?

Perhaps he should be given an opportunity to meet his constituants face to face.

Sparrowhawk
10-26-03, 09:10 AM
I would walk in uniform among the crowd causing a disturbance and release my pepper spray behind me as I walked.

Soon they dispursed and we didn't even have to tell them to dispurse.

LOL

CAS3
10-26-03, 11:30 AM
LMAO...Cook, quick, send me some spray!!

Mudwalker
10-26-03, 11:36 AM
Some 40mm HEDP works good too. :devious:

lurchenstein
10-26-03, 01:05 PM
"I'm here representing the people of Iraq," said Dick Eiden of Vista, with North County Forum. He said the United States is spending billions of dollars to rebuild Iraq when it is responsible for bombing the country in the first place.

As usual, no mention of the Iraqi element destroying infrastructure as fast as we can rebuild it. Maybe this fellow is a Ba'ath Party representative.