PDA

View Full Version : After Boot camp...

FutureMarine1
07-25-11, 03:55 AM
Ok so I have been in the DEP for about 9 months and my ship date has finally arrived so im leaving in 6 days for boot camp.

My question is about the 10 day leave after boot camp.. I am not in good relations with my family and my friends are all going to be in college (p*ssys) so where am i to go on my leave?

Lisa 23
07-25-11, 07:49 AM
Where you go on your 10 leave from boot camp is all up to you....and just because your friends are going to college, doesn't make them any less of a person than you are.
Next time you see a Marine Corps Officer, I "DARE" you to go up to their faces call him/her a p***y. Better yet....go to one of the Academies and call them a p***y.

Remember, there are enlisted, as well as officers, who went to college.

jwmacdon1231
07-25-11, 10:59 AM
Ok so I have been in the DEP for about 9 months and my ship date has finally arrived so im leaving in 6 days for boot camp.

My question is about the 10 day leave after boot camp.. I am not in good relations with my family and my friends are all going to be in college (p*ssys) so where am i to go on my leave?

My cousin took a little ten day vacation after boot camp.

Shakespeare
07-25-11, 05:04 PM
You could always seek to talk to your family a little bit, maybe rebuild? I don't know the situation, but you might have a different outlook on it after boot camp.

You could visit your friends at college (don't judge them for their choice, just because somebody doesn't enlist right off the bat, doesn't make them weak. Some people prefer college initially, and some people prefer not to serve in the military (there are other ways to serve your country, y'know). Also keep in mind that like the rest of the world, the key to advancement is continued education. From what I understand, education improve promotion rate greatly, and few staff NCOs lack a degree of some sort)

You could also go on some sort of vacation. A cruise, or visiting somewhere new.

Shakespeare
07-25-11, 05:06 PM
Please ignore, double post.

IHaveEGA843
07-25-11, 05:34 PM
Now going to college isnt the "cool" thing to do? I'm seriously tired of the childish things alot of Poolees say either it be about other branches or just others who don't want to join the Corps.

People take different paths in life, any decision to better one self should be looked on with respect instead of trash talk.

I'm sure regardless of relationship with your family when they come to your graduation and see that young adult they knew that they never could connect with make that transformation and carrying himself as a young man that says nothing but greets them with open arms and a warm smile all the past bad things won't matter.

Be proud of where you came from regardless of past situations and carry yourself with respect.

You get 10 days off and trust me, most new Marines come to the RS and the first thing they say is ," I'm glad to be home with my family."

Allenl0968
07-25-11, 08:43 PM
Now going to college isnt the "cool" thing to do? I'm seriously tired of the childish things alot of Poolees say either it be about other branches or just others who don't want to join the Corps.

People take different paths in life, any decision to better one self should be looked on with respect instead of trash talk.

I'm sure regardless of relationship with your family when they come to your graduation and see that young adult they knew that they never could connect with make that transformation and carrying himself as a young man that says nothing but greets them with open arms and a warm smile all the past bad things won't matter.

Be proud of where you came from regardless of past situations and carry yourself with respect.

You get 10 days off and trust me, most new Marines come to the RS and the first thing they say is ," I'm glad to be home with my family."

:thumbup::thumbup:
Well said Soon2HaveEGA843!

JWJohnsonIII
07-26-11, 09:29 AM
my friends are all going to be in college (p*ssys)

This poolee is a college graduate, (BA '10, Magna cum Laude). Maybe you could call me some more names because I made good grades.

Anyways, my recruiter has mentioned before that some people prefer to go directly to SOI/MCT. You may want to ask about that.

nick20110919
07-26-11, 11:24 AM
Like JWJohnsonIII said, if you don't want to take your 10 days of leave you don't have to, according to my recruiter. You are actually using up the 10 days of vacation time you earned while in basic for 3 months, plus a few extra days. If you want to save them up, you can just go to your duty station and spend your time in the barracks. Otherwise you are on Liberty. The only rule is you must report to your duty station by a certain date at a certain time

MunkyVsRobot
07-26-11, 11:30 AM
If you go directly from boot to MCT or SOI wherever you may be headded you may be on liberty but they arent going to just have you sitting around doing nothing. If you are in holding they are still going to have you cleaning up the barracks and all that jazz.

I had a friend who was in holding for 2 to 3 months waiting to start his MOS training and they had them PTing and cleaning up around the base and stuff. While not doing that yes you are on liberty but I believe it is on base liberty.

Id suggest taking your 10 days to recoup either bite the bullet and try fixing whats wrong between you and yoru family or stay with friends and live it up with them one last time. You most likely wont be hanging out with them again.

How do I know this? I went to school in Phoenix for 3 years when I came back people pretty much forgot about me for the first 6 months because life still goes on while you are away.