PDA

View Full Version : Advice on an MOS if i don't receive Infantry

Rwimmer
07-23-11, 09:47 PM
I leave for Parris Island on November 14, 2011. I am trying to recieve the Infantry MOS, There are six people at the recuiting station who want Infantry and only two open slots, if i don't recieve a spot i was wondering what other MOS's are out there that are also on the frontlines. Im just looking for advice from anyone who is willing to give it, Thanks, and thanks to everyone who served our country and allowed me to have the life that i have today.

GreenRam
07-23-11, 10:17 PM
First of all, if you're competing aganist 5 other people, best believe you need to be putting out and putting on a good image for yourself. Good pt and frequent (ontime) attendance to poolee funcions is wise. Infantry is a demanding job, lots of pt, hiking and puttjg out! Secondly, have a backup plan in mind for another MOS...infantry is near to being closed out as an option so find something you could also see yourself doing for your first enlistment in the Marines. Coming from a 0311 myself.

Rwimmer
07-24-11, 10:19 AM
Thanks alot, ive been doing pt at the weekly functions and on my own time, best of luck to you

GreenRam
07-24-11, 10:26 AM
No, best of luck to you!

TunTvrnWarrior
07-24-11, 10:52 AM
Kid, you also need to think about what you can use on the outside. If you dont get 03-walkalot.... Stop for a moment and be objective. If you qualify as a linguist, do it. If you qualify for meteorology, do it. If you qualify for pubic affairs, (lots of college credit is given from this school) do it. If you qualify for air traffic controller, do it. If you qualify for combat photographer, do it. Lastly, avionics is not bad either.

I hope you make grunt, they are outstanding Marines. However, if you dont get that MOS.... take some time to look at the future implications of your MOS choices for your pocketbook once you get out.

Rwimmer
07-25-11, 12:12 PM
Thanks alot i appreciate your guy's help, i was hoping to make 0311 for reasons i cant really explain i just want to do it, if i don't end up getting it i was looking into a combat engineer or something along those lines i qualified for a couple jobs i got a 70 on the ASVAB but i want 0311 in hopes for helping future brothers (godwilling i become a Marine) i feel like 0311 is the best fit for me atleast to accomplish that, i know all Marines help eachother, i wouldnt be doing it for the money or future benefits, i know that seems like im an arrogrant kid and when i get it out it might come back to smack me in the face but im doing straight for the day to day experience, might even try to make a career out of the military not quite sure yet, but i do appreciate it thanks for your advice