PDA

View Full Version : New Yorker trades Yankees cap, concrete jungle for campaign cover, drill field

thedrifter
10-25-03, 07:38 AM
New Yorker trades Yankees cap, concrete jungle for campaign cover, drill field
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 2003102415390
Story by Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(October 24, 2003) -- The strength and pride of New Yorkers has been tested time and time again.

A sign of their pride is the Yankees. Hundreds of thousands of native New Yorkers and devoted fans cheer for their warriors of the baseball field all season long.

One of those raging fans who claims New York as his home is Staff Sgt. John P. Saul, senior drill instructor, Platoon 3021, Company I.

Of the warriors that make the Marine Corps, Saul represents those who joined because they were proud of their country and wanted to serve it in the best manner possible.

"I grew up with a love for the nation and a desire to serve it," said Saul. "I always knew I would be in a military career ... when I retire I want to be able to say I served the nation and Marine Corps to the best of my ability, no matter what my rank is."
This die-hard Yankees fan joined the Corps March 3, 1996.

"I realized the Marine Corps had that warrior persona," Saul said.

He wanted to take on that warrior life and felt the infantry could give him that.

Saul's grandfather, William Kesman, was an officer in the Army's 29th Infantry Division during World War II.

"I always wanted to be an infantryman and pretty much knew the Marine Corps was the tip of the spear," Saul said. "When I was real young, I remember learning what my grandfather did and asking him questions ... I envied him growing up."

The pride this 26-year-old Marine shows to the Corps is a result of his love for his job.

"I wanted infantry for the warrior aspect and I felt it was the best way to serve the nation," said Saul.

According to Saul, his parents were role models through their strong sense of patriotism.

"We've always been big supporters of the United States of America," said Margaret L. Saul, mother. "Everyone should have a strong sense of duty."

Saul's other role model was his other grandfather, John Saul, who was a good, honest and hard working family man, according to Saul.

"He was everything a man should be," Saul said.

Being a man and a warrior, Saul's strength, pride and leadership skills have been tested in both the infantry, while with Company G, 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, and with the drill instructors and recruits he leads now.

"As a drill instructor, you still have to set the standard with the way you look and conduct yourself," said Saul.

"Even as a fire team leader, conduct is what carries you: how you act, talk and walk," he added.

The drill instructors he works with and train agree.

"If I had to describe him with one word, it would be professional," said Staff Sgt. Jeramy A. Staton, drill instructor, Platoon 3021, Company I.

Saul is on his last training cycle as a senior drill instructor and will be taking over as a series gunnery sergeant for Company I.

Those who influenced him to be a patriot, his parents, will be on hand today to view the last cycle of recruits he will graduate as a senior drill instructor.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20031024182842/$file/DI_lr.jpg

Staff Sgt. John P. Saul, senior drill instructor, Platoon 3021, Company I, explains recruiter's assistance and promotions to his recruits after they received their orders. Saul, a New York native, says he grew up with a deep sense of patriotism, which led him into the Marine Corps.
Photo by: Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/E44A7AFE32CC460685256DC9006BF11C?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Static_Sky25
10-26-03, 09:51 PM
I Saw him all the time down there!