PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps and Being Bipolar!?

Sammyman
07-23-11, 06:53 AM
k heres the story. when i was about 11 years old i was told i was bipolar and i started taking meds for it. it was an off an on going thing. i was taking the meds for periods of depression and anger. I am almost 19 years old now and have not taken anything for almost 2 years now. My parents and i know i am fine and well. My mom took me to my Doctor almost a year ago and he said that i am not bipolar and there's no way that i am. i just recently graduated from high school and am wanting to be a Marine. i am not sure that this is a conflict and if i am going to be an automatic DQ since my doctor said i am not bipolar and i am healthy. Let me know. Thanks in advanced.

achilles097
07-23-11, 07:24 AM
As far as I know, any history of Bipolar is a PDQ. Friend of mine who was off meds for a year by his doctor tried to join and all the recruiters he went to said don't even try.

doc h fmf
07-23-11, 07:47 AM
You Would Be Dq Because It Can Be Triggered By One Incident So Good Luck In Your Future Civilian Career

Sammyman
07-23-11, 08:29 AM
Are you serious? not even if i got a letter from my doctor saying that i should have never been on the meds and stating that im not bipolar? That was also a time in which i was understanding that my parents are divorced so im pretty sure that played a big role in it.

achilles097
07-23-11, 09:04 AM
People handle divorces in different ways, believe me, but not everyone is diagnosed with bipolar. You can serve your country in other honorable ways, but I don't think the military is for you. Serving in the military is a privilege not a right. And the people setting forth that privilege have certain regulations to abide by, and this happens to be one of them.

Yonkers
07-23-11, 09:28 AM
Are you serious? not even if i got a letter from my doctor saying that i should have never been on the meds and stating that im not bipolar? That was also a time in which i was understanding that my parents are divorced so im pretty sure that played a big role in it.

That wouldn't mean anything... your doc can't go back in time and examine your body to what it was when you were at that age... It really sucks.. recruiting is a depressing thing to do... you have to turn down a lot of folks that want to join and have a lot of passion etc, but due to technicalities they are DQ'd..

GreenRam
07-23-11, 06:56 PM
Sorry, chances are slim to none. Another reason why I hate doctors, they screw more things up than they fix