PDA

View Full Version : OCS after Boot Leave

JWJohnsonIII
07-21-11, 05:43 PM
Good afternoon, Marines. I was speaking with my recruiter today because PT was cancelled. He was telling me that he had spoken with the incoming OSO assistant and had been told that people with bachelor's degrees and a reasonably high PFT score can be sent to OCS after their 10 days of leave following Recruit Training. I have a degree and am scheduled to ship to MCRDPI on Aug. 8. Have any of you heard of this or seen this happen? If so, do you know how strong the Marine's PFT was? Thank you.

Parks
07-21-11, 08:24 PM
Personally, I've never seen it happen. I had a roomie once who claimed she'd been to both Parris Island and OCS, got medically separated from OCS and was returned to the enlisted side...but I've never been able to verify the story. She was also a Reservist, so that could put a different twist on it.

From what I understand admin wise, once you step foot on the yellow footprints so are a Marine (administratively) and in order to attend OCS you would have to get orders to go.

I think the Enlisted Commissioning Program might be your best bet, though you'll have to wait until you make your first duty station.

If you really want to be an officer, I would seriously consider skipping the enlisted portion. There's no reason to go through the time and training on the enlisted side if you're intending on becoming an officer at the first chance you get.

Oh, and you'll need a 1st class to go to OCS.

Blutic
07-22-11, 05:54 AM
It's possible, but you have to be accepted into OCS and the OCS start date would have to match up with your boot leave. OCS only starts like twice a year. I went though boot camp, MCT, MOS school, checked into my reserve unit, then got accepted and went to OCS. And yes, if you are an enlisted reservist and wash out of OCS you go back to being an enlisted reservist.

JWJohnsonIII
07-22-11, 08:09 AM
Thank you for your reply, LCpl.

Sir, do you remember and would you be willing to share how strong your PFT was? The OSO for my area told me before I enlisted that I would have to be running a perfect or very nearly perfect PFT to even be considered for putting together a packet (there's not a big demand for WASP males right now), but my recruiter made it sound like as long as it's a strong 1st class PFT then I could very easily be considered.

I apologize if I'm kicking a dead horse, I would just like to understand this as much as possible. Thank you for your patience, sir.

03Mike
07-22-11, 08:43 AM
In my area (DC Metro) it's taking a 285 or better PFT to ship to OCS. I can't say whether or not that applies to your area or across the board.

JWJohnsonIII
07-22-11, 08:45 AM
In my area (DC Metro) it's taking a 285 or better PFT to ship to OCS. I can't say whether or not that applies to your area or across the board.

Thank you, sir.

Blutic
07-22-11, 04:33 PM
Mine was around 270 out of bootcamp. You should be running 3 miles under 20 min. or you will have a tough time. PFT is just one of many factors. The Corps is getting more selective because of downsizing.

Yonkers
07-23-11, 06:34 AM
Apparently my guide in boot camp was leaving enlisted side straight out of boot camp... but I hated that tool with a passion so I don't know what the story is on that.. He had a LOT of college credits and my CDI looked into it & said he was good to go into some program, whether it was MECEP or something I have no idea... but that's what he said... He was an alright PTer...

While it is required to have a high PFT to go into it, you have to be strong across the board.. you MUST be a mold of a leader. Just got a brief on this the other day by a fresh 2nd lt who was prior enlisted and he explained that he wasn't THAT big of a PT stud at first but you do work very hard in it while also being tested a lot mentally.

Good luck.